• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding tie for blue suit

Fahsion

Reaction score
Everyone here has been so helpful and I have this forums to thank for most of my wedding attire. I've seen these threads constantly so I'm sorry for reposting, but I'm desperate to figure out a tie for my wedding.

It's a mid-blue 3-piece suit from suit supply. I'll be wearing a white shirt and dark chili shoes. The bridesmaids are all wearing some sort of dusty rose/pink stuff. I know well enough from my reading not to match them, but I also don't want to look completely off. I've looked at wedding ties and considering my brown shoes and it being an outdoor Hawaii wedding (lots of green) it seemed too dark.

Here's a quick mock up of things if helpful.

CleanShot 2022-07-05 at 10.43.44.png

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A silver jacquard tie is always appropriate for a non-black tie wedding, but not with that pocket square. I would maybe instead wear a simple whit silk square.

Fahsion

Reaction score
I'm definitely open to a different pocket square. Thought about going floral just to keep things more fun.

Would a silver tie still work well given a blue suit with dark brown shoes? For some reason I've always had it in my head that brown combined with shades of black (like a silver)
are difficult to match.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd skip the pocket square entirely and get a tie like this:

Fahsion

Reaction score
Gotcha, seems to be consensus to do some sort of wedding tie with a black/white/silver look and ditch the pocket square or at the most, go with a plain white one.

Outside of that palette, what are my options for something with color? Here's a couple I was thinking of trying along with the suggestions above...unsure if they are all awful?

MTB7

Reaction score
From that particular shop i think any of the below three choices would work beautifully

Fahsion

Reaction score
From that particular shop i think any of the below three choices would work beautifully

Awesome! Just a white pocket square or ditch the square altogether?

MTB7

Reaction score
I would go with a white pocket square yes. Nice and simple and it is a very special occasion after all.

philwongnz

Reaction score
First of all congrats!

Since you are wearing suit supply, their cut is very Italian and classic (Barchetta chest pocket, neopolitian like shoulders and possibly patch side pockets). I have organised multiple weddings outfits for my friend's so I have a bit experience for the groom and the groomsman.

I personally will pick a baby blue knitted tie (providing is a summerish wedding) and top it off with a plain narrow tie clip just to be a little different. I'm not sure what your groomsman are wearing but I assumed they are wearing navy as well? I trust you the only one wearing a 3 piece? Their outfit should compliment yours as well and I would probably get them to wear a darker shade of blue knitted tie. I wear a lot of Tom Ford so I would recommend something like this (https://clothbase.com/items/d462db9c_tom-ford-7-5cm-knitted-silk-tie-men-light-blue_tom-ford) it will help break out your dark navy suit but at the same time give you this pastel sofeness with a bit a shine to give you a bit of a polished look.

With pocket square I see it as a must. I would keep it simply but having a hand rolled Irish linen pocket square folded as a square with the hand rolled edges shown. It will enhance and compliment the curve barchetta chest pocket suit supply has and also give you a more formal but semi casual look as your tie is not business like.

One tip I would recommend, bring at least one spare shirt. You will thank me at dinner reception when you have a fresh white shirt to wear after all the running around with photos and whatever you had to do for a wedding.

Last edited:

Fahsion

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I got pretty close to narrowing it down. I ordered a bunch of swatches to test them out. After going through about 30 different fabrics based on everyones suggestions, I've narrowed it down to the three options. 2 ties and 1 bow-tie.

Here's a visual of them matched up with the suit:

1. https://www.samhober.com/neckties/h...ck-and-white-hounds-tooth-silk-tie-hdt-9.html
  2. https://www.samhober.com/neckties/g...l-gray-silver-grenadine-fina-silk-tie-21.html
  3. https://www.samhober.com/bow-ties/f...-gray-dark-gray-and-black-on-silver-gray.html
Let me know if you have a preference!

(Fourth option is a navy/burgundy shepherds check, but I'm probably going to discard it... I've tried glen plaids and silver jacquards and it wasn't my style. I tried various shades of light blue and they didn't quite work).

philwongnz

Reaction score
Personally I hate bow ties in a normal suit. I find it very tacky and is a trend for a lot of people which doesn't seem to be going away. IMHO bow tie should be for a tux or reserved for some eccentric academics. One thing my friend said to me was, if you look back at your photos years later, would it be very cliché due to what you wear? Or will it be classic?

Fahsion

Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree that a bowtie is just a current trend / cliche. I do agree that it's more commonly associated with a tux (I believe black tie/tux was invented in the 1800's), but it looks like it's broken out of those boundaries quite often over the 20th century.

Since I'm wearing a 3 piece suit, I feel it might be formal enough for a bow tie? I also think it could look pretty good if all the groomsmen are wearing a regular tie, but I could totally be wrong which is why I'm here for advice!

I'm curious everyone else's thoughts?

philwongnz

Reaction score
Sorry I don't mean is a current trend.. But a trend for years. For me a bow tie should be a proper one that you need to tie yourself, not those pre tied ones you can get etc. Personally it will look worse with a 3 piece suit as funny enough people wear bow ties casually now, think of a shirt and some Chinos. Maybe is me, but I really hate the bow tie look. I once got forced to wear one as I was a grooms man and the bride had dressed us in Chinos, braces and a bow tie. On the groomsman speech I thank them for giving me the opportunity to be part of the barber shop quartet..haha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads