• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding in September - Mostly know what I want

Smitty2k1

Reaction score
Howdy folks -

I'm getting married in mid September in the DC region. The wedding is outdoors and September in DC is basically an extension of summer. The bride will be wearing a white dress and the bridesmaids will be wearing navy dresses. Our 'wedding colors' are navy and cherry blossom pink (a light, pale pink - close enough to a typical men's dress shirt).

I envision myself and my groomsmen wearing medium grey 2-piece suits and brown shoes with navy ties. I'm planning on having the suits rented from The Black Tux. We don't all own matching medium grey suits (I don't think any of us own one) and I've had a positive experience with The Black Tux in the past.

Now onto the questions:

1) I think it would be nice to have a pink shirt instead of a white shirt. Is this too 'over the top' with the wedding colors? Should my groomsmen and I all wear pink shirts, or should just the groomsmen wear pink shirts, or should just I wear a pink shirt? The last two options may help us to not look like clones of one another...

2) What about matching shoes? I'm already making them rent suits and I don't want to make them rent shoes too. If the 4 of us have different shades of brown shoes, I don't see that being a big deal. Thoughts?

3) Accessories: pocket square, yay or nay? Color/pattern? Socks: match the trousers or go with a navy or pink?

I'm tentatively planning on buying my groomsmen nice Sam Hober ties for the wedding. Also, if I have them wear pink shirts I'm going to get them all fitted at a nice local store (Hugh and Crye) if I can get us all together before the wedding.

Any other thoughts, ideas, or experiences you have had would be greatly appreciated!

ThomGault

Reaction score
I like the idea of buying matching ties for your groomsmen. I did the same at my wedding (from BB, although I think Sam Hover is a better choice) and my best man bought ties for his groomsmen and I for his wedding, too. Of course, he divorced a couple years later, so I don't wear the tie from his wedding....Luckily I'm still with my wife, so I get to keep my tie ;-)
Just make sure that youre aware of timelines. Alterations can always go awry and require more time than you'd expect.
I'd skip pocket squares and use boutonnieres as the lone suit adornment, and I'd match socks to trousers, if possible. My groomsmen and I all wore charcoal suits, and we all had black shoes to wear which made it easy and cheap because everyone owns (or should own) black oxfords. I might suggest y'all do the same.

Smitty2k1

Reaction score

I like the idea of buying matching ties for your groomsmen. I did the same at my wedding (from BB, although I think Sam Hover is a better choice) and my best man bought ties for his groomsmen and I for his wedding, too. Of course, he divorced a couple years later, so I don't wear the tie from his wedding....Luckily I'm still with my wife, so I get to keep my tie ;-)
Just make sure that youre aware of timelines. Alterations can always go awry and require more time than you'd expect.
I'd skip pocket squares and use boutonnieres as the lone suit adornment, and I'd match socks to trousers, if possible. My groomsmen and I all wore charcoal suits, and we all had black shoes to wear which made it easy and cheap because everyone owns (or should own) black oxfords. I might suggest y'all do the same.

Ah yes boutonnieres. Would a pink shirt with a pink flower be over the top. Pink men's shirting is very common but it seems like it may be too matchy.

ThomGault

Reaction score
I don't know what 'appropriate' for those colors so all I can provide is my gut reaction. I think white shirts would look best...I'm of the persuasion that the males should generally coordinate with the wedding colors only through accessory pieces, e.g. boutonnieres and ties.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't know what 'appropriate' for those colors so all I can provide is my gut reaction. I think white shirts would look best...I'm of the persuasion that the males should generally coordinate with the wedding colors only through accessory pieces, e.g. boutonnieres and ties.

Yes.
Don't go overboard with color coordination. It's a wedding...not a prom.

Matt St

Reaction score
Congratulations! I'm getting married but much sooner and dealt with some of the similar questions.

1. White shirt
2. I've decided just to have them wearing brown shoes. Then again I'd imagine rentals would be cheap? No need to be picky here plenty of photos online to show it actually works with different shoes (same color). I'm buying shoes specifically for the wedding and don't expect them to do the same.
3. Debating this myself. Most may say too flashy I suppose but it's your wedding and only you know your style. Don't do it if you'll feel uncomfortable.

I would suggest something that's a differentiating factor from you and your Groomsmen. Be it a different tie or something. It's your wedding and IMO you should be the best dressed man there.

Hope that helps!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads