• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a suit with suspenders to a nightclub

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
I guess you don't need the suit to reek of douche lol.
ffffuuuu.gif

Look, I'm hardly the OP's new BFF, know virtually nothing about him, but I will say this: I know people who grew up with ungodly amounts of money and when you're surrounded by people who don't have those means, you will be as socially awkward as someone who has a scrotum growing from their chin. If having money meant you were never able to quite fit in, you may very well come to internet forums and ask questions such as the OP's. It doesn't make you a douche in and of itself (the OP could very well be a douche, but I don't have enough information to say one way or the other with certainty), it just makes you a bit awkward, sort of the way I imagine our attention to clothes makes us in social encounters in the "real world" from time to time. Just playing
devil.gif
's advocate...

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricky
So are you hitting top London clubs like Fabric? You still should dress casual.

I don't get the impression that Fabric is the kind of club he's going to, though I have seen people wearing suits in there...

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaymanjones
I see this thread has gotten out of hand quite quickly... I do not go out trying to look "rich"... I don't give a **** what I wear or what other people wear... I have $30K watches, $7000 shoes, $5000 suits and the list goes on. It doesn't interest me at all if any of you believe me or not, that ain't my problem...
Police: Man Stole $30K Watch From SouthPark Mall Updated: 12:47 pm EDT September 8, 2010 Officers ask that anyone with information about the man’s identity or whereabouts call South Division Detective S.T. Houser at 704-336-2654 or Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.
I see this thread has gotten out of hand quite quickly... I do not go out trying to look "rich"... I don't give a **** what I wear or what other people wear... I have $30K watches, $7000 shoes, $5000 suits and the list goes on. It doesn't interest me at all if any of you believe me or not, that ain't my problem...
Maybe OP's bad attitude is becuase of the pain his $7,000 shoes are giving him
marieantoinette.jpg
Woman who won $5,000 in a sex abuse suit against church must pay legal costs
facepalm.gif
DB OP enjoys DB answers.
facepalm.gif

T-Lama

Reaction score
Yes, you can wear suspenders, but only if you wear a belt too so everyone know exactly how much of a big timer you are. Play on playa'

The Silverfox

Reaction score
This thread is absurd, and the most of the blame for that lies with people other than the OP.

He asks a simple question about wearing braces, and 99% of the replies are about how he's a poser for liking suits... As if it was a reasonable assumption that the clubs he's talking about are hip-hop clubs in miami or whatever, or that the choice of whether to wear a suit or not was what he was asking in the first place.

Then when he tries to tell people that for the kind of clubs he frequents suits aren't inappropriate, he gets a shitload of nonsense about how much money other people spent wearing sneakers and a t-shirt and that he's not a baller...

When he then takes the bait and replies in kind, he's the prick who's talking about money and bling, right?

Jesus Christ people, if you don't have an opinion on braces in a nightclub setting, just ******* leave it... He didn't ask if you would wear a suit to the kind of clubs you like, nor did he ask if you would be impressed by him spending his parent's money. He just asked if braces were ok outside of the office, assuming one was wearing a suit.

Maybe suits are appropriate for places like Tramp and BLC, maybe they aren't. Maybe the OP is a douche, and maybe he isn't. What does it matter? Neither are very related to actual topic.

mic

Reaction score
Wait, so is it not okay to wear suspenders in a club?

Please don't tell my girlfriend! She won't love me anymore.
laugh.gif

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Look, I'm hardly the OP's new BFF, know virtually nothing about him, but I will say this: I know people who grew up with ungodly amounts of money and when you're surrounded by people who don't have those means, you will be as socially awkward as someone who has a scrotum growing from their chin. If having money meant you were never able to quite fit in, you may very well come to internet forums and ask questions such as the OP's. It doesn't make you a douche in and of itself (the OP could very well be a douche, but I don't have enough information to say one way or the other with certainty), it just makes you a bit awkward, sort of the way I imagine our attention to clothes makes us in social encounters in the "real world" from time to time. Just playing
devil.gif
's advocate...

I'm not responding to his original question, which seemed sincere. But his other posts in this thread are questionable.

HPress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Silverfox
This thread is absurd, and the most of the blame for that lies with people other than the OP.

He asks a simple question about wearing braces, and 99% of the replies are about how he's a poser for liking suits... As if it was a reasonable assumption that the clubs he's talking about are hip-hop clubs in miami or whatever, or that the choice of whether to wear a suit or not was what he was asking in the first place.

Then when he tries to tell people that for the kind of clubs he frequents suits aren't inappropriate, he gets a shitload of nonsense about how much money other people spent wearing sneakers and a t-shirt and that he's not a baller...

When he then takes the bait and replies in kind, he's the prick who's talking about money and bling, right?

Jesus Christ people, if you don't have an opinion on braces in a nightclub setting, just ******* leave it... He didn't ask if you would wear a suit to the kind of clubs you like, nor did he ask if you would be impressed by him spending his parent's money. He just asked if braces were ok outside of the office, assuming one was wearing a suit.

Maybe suits are appropriate for places like Tramp and BLC, maybe they aren't. Maybe the OP is a douche, and maybe he isn't. What does it matter? Neither are very related to actual topic.

I think this thread is pretty interesting as is.

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HPress
I think this thread is pretty interesting as is.

As a substitute for reading the more entertaining nonsense in DT, sure...

As a source of information for someone interested in wearing braces, it's about as useful as **** on a shark.

PoundSand

Reaction score
I see this thread has gotten out of hand quite quickly...

Dude, I don't think you understand- my "why the f' you asking" was specifically to your "Amen" to a "do what you want" post. It's obvious that you want to wear the suspenders, so why the f' you asking here about what people think, then arguing it (with the "Amen" attitude. Which is fine, for the record.).

PoundSand

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Talleyrand
Anyone that speaks of only wearing "jeans and kicks" has a very limited knowledge of the various types of night clubs individuals can attend in real cities. Many upscale night clubs in LA and NYC have dress codes and if you are wearing "kicks" you will not get in. Even if you think you are a "baller" and can just grease the security, unless you are friends with the owner of the spot, you are not getting in under dress code. I was told by ladies from Britain that the best clubs you will not get into wearing "trainers".

nyc, maybe. los angeles, i've never, ever, ever not gotten into a club due to wearing kicks, regardless of what the policy is. it's a chill town, and if you ain't getting in because of wearing sneakers, it's because you weren't getting in anyways. ;D

Talleyrand

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PoundSand
nyc, maybe. los angeles, i've never, ever, ever not gotten into a club due to wearing kicks, regardless of what the policy is. it's a chill town, and if you ain't getting in because of wearing sneakers, it's because you weren't getting in anyways

Try getting into the Edison on Saturday night with "jeans and kicks" and let me know how that works out for you
wink.gif

jaymanjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Silverfox

I see you're from London...

PM me... I'd likeyou to come out with me one day... You're a good lad...

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

I'd like to know what the rule is for wearing suspenders outside the "office", per se. Is it too formal to wear them to a nightclub?? And what about wearing them without a tie??

In essence, I just don't want to look like an idiot and have my dawgs ask me "Hey! Just come back from the office have you??" and other comments of such nature, mainly on account of me being 21 years old and a student...

So yeah, is it alright to rock the suspenders with an open shirt sans the tie?? Or does one require a tie to look more complete and presentable??

Thanks friends,
Jayman

The kind of person who would premeditatively wear a suit with suspenders to a nightclub is not the kind of person who can wear a suit with suspenders to a nightclub.

Talleyrand

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You're not going to get rockers, fashion crowd, artists, etc by telling them they need to wear a suit.

If you want a great party with no dress code just go to a week of Burning Man. No dress code there...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads