• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Hierarchy

CTLION

Reaction score
I haven't worn a watch in 20 years, but for my 40th birthday my wife bought me a Rolex Datejust Gold and Steel wristwatch and I am interested in acquiring more watches. I have seen the suit hierarchy, but as a timepiece virgin could you give me a run down of the the best, the great, the good, the subpar and the horrible...no need to even bring up Timex.

I doubt I will ever drop 6 figures on a timepiece but it still interests me.

Many thanks...yours in time...CTLION

Supergenius

Reaction score
The "traditional" big 3 are Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet and Vacheron Constantin. Breguet, A. Lange ans JLC are up in that realm as well.

I'm sure this topic will generate lots of discussion.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex, Breitling and Omega a tier below than those above, well maybe Omega and Breitling just a tad less than Rolex. I'd put Cartier on par with Rolex although they are more "jewelry"" than watch (if you know what I mean).

Gran Seiko would probably go with Omega and Breitling. Another one in this mid-range would be Panerai.

Tag, Bell, Tudor are probably below.

Bottom would be Hamilton, Movado and the likes.

CTLION

Reaction score
Where does. Jaeger fit into the equation? How about Chopard, Montblanc, etc...

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish I could find me a wife that would buy me a gold Rolex.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads