• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LOVELY VINTAGE SWISS CHRONOGRAPH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
NOTE: Before considering a response, please note my request that responses be sent via email, not the PM system (which I cannot easily monitor on my iPhone.) Also, if you are interested, please be responsible about replying once we agree on price, terms, etc., and when we do, I expect to be paid promptly. I am in NY and available from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. EST. I have one inquiry already that looks like a dud and I don't have time for more. Thanks!

Hi, guys, I have been a SF member for a while now and I have decided that this might be a good place for me to unload some of my watches without getting into the OCD world of the prominent watch sites I am on and having to deal with their various forms of bullsh-t.

As an example, I just sold a very nice vintage Rolex to a very pleasant doctor in Australia. For a thousand bucks, you could not beat this deal.

I'm now going to start unloading some of my vintage chronographs. These are all original Swiss pieces that date to the 1940s – 1950s. In general, their service history is unknown and, in most cases (as with this particular piece), the movements are generally assumed to be of a particular manufacture, without more in the way of detail. This movement is most likely one of the Landeron variety (very popular during this era.)

For those of you who are not familiar with the world of vintage chronographs, these were made by literally dozens upon dozens of small Swiss houses that did not survive what is commonly known as the "quartz crisis." As such, it is difficult to find a history on many of these pieces. I acquired them from various sites or in-person transactions at shows. Because I have so many (I am not a professional dealer, just a private collector) I usually forget where they came from!

This particular piece is marked "Titus Geneve" 17 jewels. As you can see, it has two subdials, with the one on the left representing the running seconds hand. The top pusher starts the chronograph (the large hand located at 12 o'clock) the bottom pusher stops the chronograph, and another push of the bottom pusher resets the chronograph back to the 12 o'clock position. All of the hands line up perfectly. The minute and the hour hands are blued.

The watch measures 36.5mm without the crown and a full 39mm with it. This may seem small by today's standards; however, it was most definitely "jumbo" during the era in which it was made. The metal is difficult to determine but it looks like rose gold, probably a thin coating; however, it has not worn to any significant extent. The lines on the lugs are quite sharp, indicating that the watch has not been polished to any degree, if at all . The dial is a lovely gold color which matches the case very well. The strap is an NOS genuine Teju lizard piece that I sourced from a well-known supplier of vintage watch straps in exotic leathers. It is not "printed lizard" as is most commonly found. I paid $70 for it.

I have tried to photograph the watch as best I can. It is shown side-by-side with my Omega Seamaster so you can see that it is not that small and I have also shown it on the wrist.

It runs extremely well. I've had it on my "other wrist" all day and it has not lost even a minute.

I do not know the service history of the watch, and I have not had it serviced. I have owned it for about a year and worn it off and on in a large rotation.

If you're new to the world the vintage watches, keep in mind that this is a vintage piece, with all the pros and cons that come with it. It is sold "as is" although I have no reason to believe that it will malfunction.

To the average person, the watch simply looks expensive and elegant. With all of this verbiage and hype you might assume it is expensive but it is not: $475 via PayPal including shipping in the US. Sales to other countries must come with a negotiated postage rate, usually about $45.

Take a look at EBay and you will see a guy trying to sell one for about $1,600 (which is ridiculous.)

If you're interested in the watch, please, please, contact me by email because I can't respond to private messages on this site on my iPhone. My email is: [email protected]

This would be a nice piece for a professional who is looking for something different without blowing a lot of dough.

I have tried to be as honest and complete in my description of the watch. I have excellent feedback on WUS and EBay, so buy with confidence.

Sorry for any typos as I dictated this.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• T6.jpg
    T6.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 35
  • T1.JPG
    T1.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 41
  • T2.jpg
    T2.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 36
  • T3.jpg
    T3.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 28
  • T4.jpg
    T4.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 31
  • T5.jpg
    T5.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Really cool, by the way if mod allows listing your WUS name would probably help as well. I really like chronograph without date

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Hi, thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads