• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Advice

Mimosa

Reaction score

Thanks so much guys. My price range isn't end all be all so I will go over if there is a watch I really like.

What about this? It's a Seiko automatic with a white dial.

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNKA01K...1_11?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1310852391&sr=1-11
Something looks "off" to me. 38mm dial, but it looks small, so the bezel proportions are a bit off. Bracelet looks "heavy" compared to the dial. Frankly I think watch selection is can be more subtle than most people would consider Personally I would not buy a watch that I didn't see in real life, preferably on my wrist. Even if it costs $70. Mim

94Chicago

Reaction score
Anyone? I'm thinking about picking up the watch I posted above but I read that white dials are dressier and black dials are more for everyday casual wear.

ddonicht

Reaction score
As for white or black faces, go with whatever you think best. I have a Tag with a mother of pearl face and a Raymond Weil with a black face. Both tend to go with almost everything although I would say the black isn't as good when I'm wearing browns. But that's just my need to have everything match.

As for the brand, Seiko will be good as will a Citizen Eco-drive or Bulova. If you get onto Amazon you should find a lot of options in the price range you're talking about. Enjoy.

94Chicago

Reaction score

94Chicago

Reaction score
Something looks "off" to me. 38mm dial, but it looks small, so the bezel proportions are a bit off. Bracelet looks "heavy" compared to the dial. Frankly I think watch selection is can be more subtle than most people would consider

Personally I would not buy a watch that I didn't see in real life, preferably on my wrist. Even if it costs $70.

Mim
Oops, didn't see your post. This is the best idea that I can find of what it looks like:

ndsleep612

Reaction score
Seiko or Citizen is your best bet. Plenty of styles to choose from along with numerous price brackets. Also Seiko makes all their stuff themselves, including the oil for the mechanical movements.

greens11

Reaction score
If you're interested in going the diver's watch route, an Orient might not be a bad choice. You'll be below your $150 price mark, and you'll be getting an automatic watch with a solid stainless steel bracelet. There are plenty of colors, but below I've linked you do the Orient Mako and Orient Mako XL in black. The Orient website isn't a bad place to buy a watch from either, and you should be able to find a 40%-50% off coupon online, which may make their prices cheaper than amazon (in some cases)

http://www.amazon.com/Orient-CEM750...7B0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310954804&sr=8-1
or
http://www.amazon.com/Orient-CEM650...EQ3A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310954821&sr=8-1

If you'd like to skip the diver's watch and go for something that can be seen as a bit dressier, look at

http://www.amazon.com/Orient-CET050...EQEO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1310954678&sr=8-3

SOMD

Reaction score
if you're 16 get a Nixon. Seriously.

Seiko, Hamilton, Mido, Tissot are great conservative timepieces for ppl in their 20's and beyond, but are a bit understated for youth. I still rock my Rotolog on occasion and always get compliments from the ladies :p

ajmanouk

Reaction score
I also recommend Seiko. I have one that looks great and does the job, and I picked it up on eBay for 75 bucks (it retails at The Bay for ~200). I went with an automatic watch since I'm going to be wearing it every day, but the choice is yours I suppose.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

White dial, roman numerals, no complications, leather band, silver or gold your preference, goes with everything and classic.
My advice is much the same as that above ... although I'd probably add 'silvered' to the color of the face/dial. Its case might be round, rectangular, or tonneau.

Have you considered looking at vintage -- or gently used -- models on eBay or TimeZone? You can get a better watch for fewer dollars.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads