• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walking in "Good" Shoes?

silentownage001

Reaction score
PS: whoever was saying they brush their suede shoes after every use - don't! It's only going to abrade the surface unnecessarily if you do this. Occasionally is enough (I do mine no more than once a year, if that).

This makes sense to me, although I do wonder why some say to brush suede after each wear. I suppose if one was doing something in which they got pretty dirty it'd make sense to. But going to the office and back? Nah. They aren't getting dirty that quickly.

I use a crepe brush as those wire brushes seem like they could damage the suede if one's not careful.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took my new pup on a 3.5 mile walk on city streets, grass parkland and nature trails.......and wore the most expensive pair of shoes/boots I've ever bought (C&J Islay) because they were the right shoe for the job.

The Islay is the big brother to my Pembrokes and that is exactly what those shoes are for.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
With proper looking after, you can wear well-made leather shoes in almost any conditions, short or rubbing the vamp across sharp rocks/concrete or steel wool on purpose.
Don’t baby your shoes…

Last edited:

ridgerider

Reaction score
Hello! I have built up a collection of decent goodyear welted shoes (except 1 Gucci pair! and am a bit afraid to really walk around with them on. I mainly wear these shoes when I'm mainly driving, parking, and going somewhere close by for dinner/work etc.
I'd like to dress up more for daytime strolls and general walking about, but don't want to scuff/scrape these shoes.

How do you guys live in your footwear? Do you wear good, non-casual shoes, to really walk in or just to go to specific places?

If I am going for a walk around the neighborhood, or going for a hike, etc, then I am wearing walking shoes, trail shoes or runners.

If I am going someplace that might have some walking involved, then I will wear my GYW shoes. If I am dressed really casually in shorts because the weather is good, and I won't be walking much, I tend to wear slip on boat type shoes.

pkincy

Reaction score
When I was working and living in more formal areas, I would wear good shoes not only with my suits at work (remember those days?) but when we went out in the evenings or on weekends. Now in a very informal retirement/resort locale, I never dress up and never wear good shoes which is why I have put my collection up for sale. It hurts to see them just sitting on the shoe rack in the closet. Today my daily wear is either comfortable cleatless golf shoes or boat shoes. I haven't worn leather/GYW shoes in several years.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comfy as **** rubber Walmart Sneakers for real life.
Crippling Rock hard leather soles for internet bragging.

Jokes aside: I don't find sneakers, especially low-end sneakers, to be comfortable at all. Like, I have bad foot pain in all the sneakers I've ever bought in my life, whereas I can walk miles in good shoes, especially leather soled ones, before the pain starts.

Could be because I am flat footed and the harder surface provides more support than a soft surface.

Cherokeepilot

Reaction score
Considering the conditions of street surfaces in my city, and when travelling I make a point of wearing my double soled shell Alden & AE shoes and boots. Learned the very hard and painful lesson of wearing issued rubber soled shoes creating all sorts of foot, ankle, and bone problems like stress fractures, I went back to the plain shoes and boots which still had sergeant's inspections cards available....and, low and behold the foot issues eventually went away. Yes, the solution cost money, time and maintenance but not having to deal constantly with doctors on my feet is more than worth it. Also, I have gotten used to receiving complements on how the shoes are shined....even from the Sergeant Major...73s

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering the conditions of street surfaces in my city, and when travelling I make a point of wearing my double soled shell Alden & AE shoes and boots. Learned the very hard and painful lesson of wearing issued rubber soled shoes creating all sorts of foot, ankle, and bone problems like stress fractures, I went back to the plain shoes and boots which still had sergeant's inspections cards available....and, low and behold the foot issues eventually went away. Yes, the solution cost money, time and maintenance but not having to deal constantly with doctors on my feet is more than worth it. Also, I have gotten used to receiving complements on how the shoes are shined....even from the Sergeant Major...73s

Yeah, I find leather soled shoes to be far better on my feet, too.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear GYW shoes inside a larger pair of sneakers so that I don't ruin my good shoes.
Hopefully you keep a larger pair of rubber wellies around so you don’t ruin your sneakers protecting your good shoes.
C7C824C3-7A3A-42B4-96B3-836B3E47775F.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads