• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waist size generalizations

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
I thought it'd be helpful to outline some thoughts on waist sizes:

• 26 - 27 - Ideal, this is where you should be. You can pull off DiorHomme without a blink of the eye
  • 28 - 29 - This is good. No worries here. Solid effort, and a nice place for 30 somethings even
  • 30 - 31 - You're falling off the cliff fast. SF needs to schedule an intervention. Plebes might not notice much, but we do, oh we do
  • 32 - 33 - All right. What gives? You're flat-out fat. I'm not saying you're southern America fat, yet, but you're on the way. In Europe people would hate you unless you're over 50. If Asia you do not exist except in America Samoa
  • 34 - 35 - I can barely write these numbers. This is the end of the line. It's time to stay inside your house. Give up fashion.
  • 36+ - WalMart

Thoughts?

I actually "LOLed" that is some funny ****. Congrats.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gingahbman
+1. Reminds me of this kid who used to dorm on my floor my freshman year of college. He was a rock climber, couldn't have weighed more than a buck 35, and constantly told us that we weren't eating the right things and how he was very strong for his body weight. As icing on the cake, he constantly referenced his abs in casual conversation.

Much to his chagrin, and my own amusement, he eventually challenged a larger kid to a wrestling match and got absolutely torn up.

Another kid opted for a non-traditional route and rubbed his nuts all over his "custom made hand crafted" pillow, took a picture, and showed him it at the end of the year. While I would never encourage such actions, it was quite hilarious from a third-party spectator's point of view.

From that day onwards, we simply called him Sackface.

I'm a rock climber by trad and the sport is amazing. dick head is pound for pound stronger than you, except maybe chest. His ego got the better of him and he got beat by a guy a lot stronger and heavier than him. Pretty understandable without training.

A friend of mine jacked off in to another guys cup of coffee as payback... he got beat in the head with a crowbar...no cops called cause **** was due.... not my cup o tea either but anyone that gets their nuts on my pillow gets a bat to the sternum regardless.

PS eat a **** a lot of protein and be done with it.

Logan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
I thought it'd be helpful to outline some thoughts on waist sizes:

• 26 - 27 - Ideal, this is where you should be. You can pull off DiorHomme without a blink of the eye
  • 28 - 29 - This is good. No worries here. Solid effort, and a nice place for 30 somethings even
  • 30 - 31 - You're falling off the cliff fast. SF needs to schedule an intervention. Plebes might not notice much, but we do, oh we do
  • 32 - 33 - All right. What gives? You're flat-out fat. I'm not saying you're southern America fat, yet, but you're on the way. In Europe people would hate you unless you're over 50. If Asia you do not exist except in America Samoa
  • 34 - 35 - I can barely write these numbers. This is the end of the line. It's time to stay inside your house. Give up fashion.
  • 36+ - WalMart

Thoughts?

Uhhh, a 26" waist on someone who is 4'4" maybe.

I've heard a proportional body is, twice around your finger is your wrist, twice around your wrist is your neck, twice around your neck is your waist and twice around your waist is your height.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Logan

I've heard a proportional body is, twice around your finger is your wrist, twice around your wrist is your neck, twice around your neck is your waist and twice around your waist is your height.

well, if twice around my 29" waist is my height, im a real shorty then.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thats complete bullshit, your height is a bit more then 16 times the circumference of your finger.

christinedaae

Reaction score
I'm about 5'9, around 175-177 pounds depending on when I weight myself in the day, and I wear a 32, some pants I have I can fit a 31 but 32 is pretty good. I promise you I look much better in my clothes with some muscle on my body at a size 32 then you look at a size 27 looking like a starving Ethiopian. At one point I was down to a comfortable 30 but I have bulked since then. Anything over a 32 I start panicking.

I am going to get it down to a 31, and I will call it a day.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate it when you get older and the dimensions reverse. I used to wear a 30x32, now I wear a 32X30.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
I hate it when you get older and the dimensions reverse. I used to wear a 30x32, now I wear a 32X30.

haha.
smile.gif

Mr. White

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower

Wait till you get to 36 x 30. At least I'm now a typical off-the-rack 42R.

stever

Reaction score

i'm not gonna believe this on the simple basis it doesn't involve any greek-ass irrational constant

GSquared

Reaction score
I'm 6'5" and if I was to be 'ideal' I would've had to start chinese feet binding my hips/waist since I was 14. On the other hand I was at a department store and the guy helping me was probably less than a 27 and I thought he was a jockey.

pronov

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
Re: the Dr Oz idiocy:

At 5ft10, the real average height (as opposed to the internet's 6ft), that works out to 35 inches. Which is, uh, pretty bad as a goal. I'd look absurdly sloppy at a 35 inch waist, and I'm closer to 5ft11 (in real life. On the internet I'm 6ft1)

After thinking about it, it didn't make sense as I don't fit those rules and I consider myself to be reasonably in shape. I believe what he said was that it shouldn't be MORE than half your height. That makes much more sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads