• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Visvim. The processes are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of traditional dying and hand cobbling most of the clothes will go over a typical fashion bloggers head. There's also Hiroki's crunchy outlook, which is deftly woven into his style - his personal philosophy draws heavily from first nation literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of his construction methods, to realize that they're not just hard wearing- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Visvim truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Hiroki's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Leslie Marmon Silko's Ceremony I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Hiroki's genius unfolds itself on fashion magazines all over the world. What fools... how I pity them. ? And yes by the way, I DO have a Visvim tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

norigim

Reaction score
Visvim is a hype brand, even in Japan it's a hype brand. People out here buying American made gorpcore **** more than visvim. Plus generalizing Japan as superior is some super lame weeb crap, not everyone has crazy taste nor is all the food better.

This became a lot more obvious to me since I started living in JP. The release process is a lot like other hype brands such as Supreme. You have to be wearing 3 pieces of Visvim: 1 pair of shoes and 2 other types of garments. It's not uncommon to see people walking around with bags from Visvim + all the other hype drops on Saturdays in Omotesando/Harujuku. That being said, I still love the brand but I don't have any delusions about what it is.

Joytropics

Reaction score
Man this thread hit a fun stretch.

@pastrystar23 you should go down the Loro Piana rabbit hole.

You think it's cool to charge $1500 for jeans with weird mud on them?

Try bringing back an entire species of endangered animal from extinction and then charging $34,000 for a coat made out of that animal's fur.

(The coat been waterproofed through an esoteric process performed by elderly Italians on the Mediterranean coast.)

Come on bro, does Hiroki even run endangered animal preserves in the Andes mountains?

simcol

Reaction score
Ok. So, here's a change of tack. Can anyone identify this piece for me?

Thanks team!

1587602701411.png

speaknoevil

Reaction score
shoutout to pastrystar getting some drama going on the forums and also giving me a good deal on a visvim hoodie on ebay a while back

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, pastry star has made this thread legitimately 99x better. this is so good.

mrSK is legit as it comes. Been around a long time and can get you a lot of stuffrhats harder to get elsewhere. A classic staple in the Visvim world — questions of the legit ness of MrSK is as old as visvim itself

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Visvim. The processes are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of traditional dying and hand cobbling most of the clothes will go over a typical fashion bloggers head. There's also Hiroki's crunchy outlook, which is deftly woven into his style - his personal philosophy draws heavily from first nation literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of his construction methods, to realize that they're not just hard wearing- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Visvim truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Hiroki's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Leslie Marmon Silko's Ceremony I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Hiroki's genius unfolds itself on fashion magazines all over the world. What fools... how I pity them. ? And yes by the way, I DO have a Visvim tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.
Oh man I for real thought he posted this at first...

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
again, you don't I get it, you're just caught on the price and this insistance that it's only expensive because it's purchased by "rich people". I understand, it's the same stale argument everyone else makes about the brand when they try to lump it up with every other fashion brand that relies mostly on marketing rather than adding actual value to their products. Your knowledge of the realities of this brand eludes you and many westerners that place value differently on certain things (namely "look at me" branding style). real cochinal dye is not $2 an ounce and the quality differs depending on where the beetles are harvested, whatever price for sea island cotton you're quoting is questionable. many people grow sea island cotton (Luxsic is sea island grown in new mexico), not all of it is actually grown in the carribean and that makes all the difference, that's why REAL sea island cotton pieces are registered, they have hologram tags with serial numbers issued by WISIC consortium. A brooks brothers sea island under shirt is $100. whatever you've seen is not real sea island, it's not wholesaled to just anyone.

again, tell me wheres the price justification for anything Vetements makes? all that is euro trash made by third parties in Romanian sweatshops staffed by migrant workers. Hiroki actually makes things in his house, along with skilled craftsman who have been doing it for generations and paying old Japanese people to work is expensive.

I've explained why Visvim is expensive with facts, you come back with "Visvim is expensive because it's purchased by rich people" Obviously you need to go to Japan. people there have way better taste and priority when it comes to things like fashion and food. Even the working poor have no problem shelling out $4k for a jacket, so no they aren't all "rich", Japan is still Visvim's biggest market because they know how to appreciate craftsmanship and have no problem paying for it. The brand could not have come from any other country or culture. It's the land that created "hype" even Pharrell found this to be true.

reactive mud dying requires a special kind of mud composition along with presoaking in a tannin solution of another specific plant, it's a reacitve process that produces colors not in the mud or the tannin, that's why real mud dying is limited by geography. what they largely do in africa is not the same, that's just using mud itself as a dye.

no, you don't need to clean your clothes with sound waves, but it's easier, more efficacious, uses less water and energy and makes your clothes last longer, which is good for reselling. what exactly is the problem with that? why is exerting conscious, diligent effort towards a better outcome frowned upon in this country? personally, that's what I like about the Japanese culture; when your spending thousands of dollars on clothing, regardless of what kind of clothing it is, where you wear it, or who sees you in it, why would you not want to take care of it in the best possible way?

I’m quoting this so that I have it forever. Are you a size 2? Or a 10 in visvim? I’d hate to burn a bridge here because, like you, I tend to buy visvim secondhand and don’t wanna blacklist myself out of deals in the future. I can send you a bag of beetles as an olive branch?

Joytropics

Reaction score
Sonic cleaning actually sounds totally plausible.

i first came across the tech in Nathan Myrhvold’s Modernist Cuisine. Apparently ultrasonic treatment makes french fries crunchier. It dislodges fibers that can hold more oil.

moreismore

Reaction score
Cool, learned something new. So I guess visvim's brigadier boots are not as superior as high-end dress shoes like Lobb, Edward Green...etc.? Just trying to pick up a new pair of shoes for work lol Since I can't wear my FBT to work

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads