• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

norigim

Reaction score
Of all the strange garment cleaning techniques I've read over the years, washing workwear with sonic waves has to be the strangest.

Does anyone consider Visvim workwear? They specifically tell you to not do strenuous activity in their warning labels :D

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Virgils are about the only good leather boots to hike in because they’re so light! I wore my kudus hiking a lot and genuinely beat the **** out of them. One day I sank ankle deep in bog mud and it smelled horrible. I couldn’t get the smell out so they were trashed — that’s when I cut it open to peek inside. They were about 7 years old at that point

Of all the strange garment cleaning techniques I've read over the years, washing workwear with sonic waves has to be the strangest.

when I read that post I considered not writing my response, but I am very much like you and cannot help myself!

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, it's 2020, Visvim design is ight but there are like so many brands with interesting design or much more romantic processes then Visvim at this point.

Plus if you have to clean your casual clothes with energy waves, is it even worth it?

dood1e

Reaction score
Serious question though, does anyone know of any other brands that does mud dye/mud wash on their garments?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure cottle, buaisou, story mfg, and several others do that or something similar. I'll search around but there are plenty of craft based companies doing different types of natural dying.

Calvin as in CALVIN

Reaction score
Has anyone used Mr SampleKickz (Mr.SK) for proxy on vis? Looking to use his service.

Also, For free edge and albacore shirts - if I’m a large in most of my things (XL depending on the brand) do I go with a 3 or 4?

pastrystar23

Reaction score
have you personally cut open the shoes?
Honestly, it's 2020, Visvim design is ight but there are like so many brands with interesting design or much more romantic processes then Visvim at this point.

Plus if you have to clean your casual clothes with energy waves, is it even worth it?
design is totally subjective, i'm not a fan of all the 2020 looks myself, but who? who is making stuff the way visvim does? Deep quality, from the ground up, most brands don't even make their own fabric, Visvim get's their's custom made using processes that actually challege the manufacturer, I mean some of it is actually processed at hiroki's house. Is hedi making stuff for celine in the basement of his parisian home?

pastrystar23

Reaction score
I'm sure cottle, buaisou, story mfg, and several others do that or something similar. I'll search around but there are plenty of craft based companies doing different types of natural dying.
not many, those that do are almost all Japanese. some natural dyes in Japan have been aging for hundreds of years, that adds to the rarity and expense. "rare" colors may not seem like something to pay a lot of money for, but it's very Japanese.

Last edited:

pastrystar23

Reaction score

they are the only clothes I wear, I spent I lot of money on them, so yeah? what's so hard about filling a large basin with water and detergent, putting your clothes in, turning the machine on (it actually looks like a PC mouse) and waiting 20 minutes, spin it in the washing machine and dry flat. not hard, I'm not paying anyone to do it and I'm extending the life of the clothes.

Attachments

• 20200422_134608.jpg
    20200422_134608.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 92

pastrystar23

Reaction score
Serious question though, does anyone know of any other brands that does mud dye/mud wash on their garments?
Kapital occasionally will do it, but no one does it as a feature of their range like Visvim

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
not many, those that do are almost all Japanese. some natural dyes in Japan have been aging for hundreds of years, that adds to expense.

I don't know who else makes mud dyed items for the fashion market, but you can find mud dyed and mud cloth items in many African cultural stores and markets.

If you do a search on Etsy for "mud cloth," "mud paste," and "mud dyed," you can dig up thousands of items.

pastrystar23

Reaction score
Has anyone used Mr SampleKickz (Mr.SK) for proxy on vis? Looking to use his service.

Also, For free edge and albacore shirts - if I’m a large in most of my things (XL depending on the brand) do I go with a 3 or 4?
they have measurements on the Visvim website. I'd go with your measured length.

I haven't personally used MSK, but they seem legit as they've been around for a while. I've used cliffedge and head-porter.org along with Buyee which accesses Rakuten, Mercari and Yahoo Japan auctions. I use mostly Buyee as I rarely purchase new.

ArrPegLegacy

Reaction score
design is totally subjective, i'm not a fan of all the 2020 looks myself, but who? who is making stuff the way visvim does? Deep quality, from the ground up, most brands don't even make their own fabric, Visvim get's their's custom made using processes that actually challege the manufacturer, I mean some of it is actually processed at hiroki's house. Is hedi making stuff for celine in the basement of his parisian home?
Tender and 18 east so stuff by hand from the ground up like this

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly I have never seen someone so deep into some brand kool-aid.

Either way, natural dying is a staple in many parts of the world. I mean we have amazing Weaver's, dyers, and ect available in Mexico. If you look at the hashtag for texto indumentaria you'll find people like buaisou and other people who make garments using natural dyes/materials.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads