• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually give 4 weeks timeframe for participants to find the shoes and revive them.

I completely understand that you want to find shoes for your personal use, but most of us did not. And still had lots of fun.

Part of the challenge is finding the shoes within the timeline. The rules will require that you show a receipt proving the shoes were bought within the stipulated rules.

I try to run the challenge around the anniversary of this thread.
I had fun last year, even though I worked on a pair that was not my size.
Which reminds me, I still need to find a home for these:
BF4EE317-FDBA-4CD4-B0BB-859DB1325CD7.jpeg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked at a store that sold Alden around 1997 for about four years. The number of times I have measured customer's feet was probably less than 10. I rarely measured customers' feet. Some insist to get measurement and resist even trying different size than what they normally wear.

Brannock size does not equate to the size of the shoe. By looking at the shoe they are wearing, we can tell how their shoe fit. We stock shoe size in multiple width. So, I always bring out shoe in half or 1 size up and down for the customer to try. And then explain to them why I brought different size than that what they asked for.

If Grant Stone are advising correct sizing, then I would not consider it cutting cost.
Well said 365:

I couldn't agree more, GS is a company trying hard to succeed in a small market area of quality shoes and I wish them good luck. However, so far I don't have a pair, but I hope to remedy that very soon.

kilowatts
Thanks gents. After a goodly chunk of interrupted sleep last night, you're safe from any wee-hours posting from me tonight!

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, what I have planned will likely result in one seriously f’d up left shoe. The pair could end up being perfect for a Gotham City DA turned villain.
Looking forward to seeing it! This pair below I recently saw posted from a challenge that took place in Europe. The shoe on the right is shown not yet finished (I think) but I kind of like the pair as is. Looking as if that shoe's starting pattern, like a fungus, may eventually spread. Or that the other might heal? OK. I'm done. Good luck to all who participate in the upcoming challenge.

Attachments

• tumblr_porenrGWhO1r6l76so10_640.jpg
    tumblr_porenrGWhO1r6l76so10_640.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 29

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"
You know what's funny - I've been to the AoSF store at least twenty times, and the AoDC store three times. I've visted Alden Madison twice and Yenni's B+M store (sadly) only once. You know how many times my feet have been measured across all those stores combined?

Zero."
I worked at a store that sold Alden around 1997 for about four years. The number of times I have measured customer's feet was probably less than 10. I rarely measured customers' feet. Some insist to get measurement and resist even trying different size than what they normally wear.

Brannock size does not equate to the size of the shoe. By looking at the shoe they are wearing, we can tell how their shoe fit. We stock shoe size in multiple width. So, I always bring out shoe in half or 1 size up and down for the customer to try. And then explain to them why I brought different size than that what they asked for.

If Grant Stone are advising correct sizing, then I would not consider it cutting cost.

I have had my feet measured at Brick and Mortar. Also at Allen Edmonds. And Nordstrom. But i requested it. Everyone should when visiting a shoe store. You might be surprised by the results.

A couple of years ago, I bought my own Brannock device. Obviously a symptom of my problems. Shoe problems.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had my feet measured at Brick and Mortar. Also at Allen Edmonds. And Nordstrom. But i requested it. Everyone should when visiting a shoe store. You might be surprised by the results.

A couple of years ago, I bought my own Brannock device. Obviously a symptom of my problems. Shoe problems.

I also have my own Brannock device!

well-kept

Reaction score

As Brannock-related problems go, yours seems moderate. Some years ago I actually made a visit to the place in Syracuse where the devices have been made for decades. This was pre-eBay and I wanted to buy one as a gift for someone who had been fascinated by them since childhood. It seemed the only way to get one was to knock on the door. To my surprise, it was a small, dark workshop straight out of Dickens, three or four people sitting on stools at wooden benches, the light coming from small windows, assembling them by hand. They seemed to think I was a bit... unusual... but they did sell me one. The gift, wrapped for Christmas, was a huge success.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads