• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody know who makes shoes for Tom James?

These were made in England. And they are SUBSTANTIAL. Very beefy. I was thinking Crockett Jones. But, I don’t Remember if they ever name a shoe.

927BB958-EEBF-4256-B799-BABEB617D51B.jpeg
764AA73C-DE21-4B81-A03F-1CD10F9B4A03.jpeg
DB86BCB1-3BFA-47D9-AA28-67040EECE945.jpeg
4E885C78-E7FE-4A51-AE61-A286D7A0A022.jpeg

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi guys:
As most of you know, it’s Thanksgiving weekend here in the North. I identified an item I wanted on one of the auction sites we all know and love late last week. It came due yesterday at around 6:30PM. We were at my daughter Kate’s place for dinner so I thought I’d get on her computer when we arrived and do a last minute bid. Naturally, after a couple of holiday libations I completely forgot! Imagine my surprise and downright pissed offness when I saw the thing had sold for peanuts, much less than I would have bid!!
This has happened to me a few times before. Perhaps it’s a sign that I should lay off the booze, eh?
Has this happened to you guys? The bidding I mean, not the booze.

kilowatts

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys:
As most of you know, it’s Thanksgiving weekend here in the North. I identified an item I wanted on one of the auction sites we all know and love late last week. It came due yesterday at around 6:30PM. We were at my daughter Kate’s place for dinner so I thought I’d get on her computer when we arrived and do a last minute bid. Naturally, after a couple of holiday libations I completely forgot! Imagine my surprise and downright pissed offness when I saw the thing had sold for peanuts, much less than I would have bid!!
This has happened to me a few times before. Perhaps it’s a sign that I should lay off the booze, eh?

kilowatts

It has and it is heart breaking.

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi again guys:
My US post box contacted me to let me know that due to the long Covid delays in picking up items they have arranged to have some qualifying packages shipped to our home addresses, a service they never offered before. Therefore, I finally have 2 pairs of shoes and a package of leather conditioner and cleaner potentially inbound this week. Wish me luck and I’ll send pics as they arrive. Finally, a pair of shoes to clean again, sigh...
Kilowatts

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Anybody know who makes shoes for Tom James?

These were made in England. And they are SUBSTANTIAL. Very beefy. I was thinking Crockett Jones. But, I don’t Remember if they ever name a shoe.

View attachment 1475968 View attachment 1475969 View attachment 1475970 View attachment 1475971

I'd say those are C&J as well. The letter looks like their lettering and BB has (or had) a nearly identical model. The BB version I think is on the 325 last if that's a helpful reference.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are Alfred Sargent.

[EDIT] The C&J I own (three pairs) and have sold (maybe a dozen) all have the squiggly calligraphic handwriting in them. But looking at listings just now I see these, with the block stamping like Alfred Sargent but marked Crockett and Jones. Now I wonder whether AS made them for C&J or what. Have a look

Last edited:

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys:

kilowatts
Yep, yesterday in fact.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ouch, that's painful. I set an alarm on my iPhone ten minutes before the end of an auction I want to be in, with a ring tone and a description to display on the screen and it's worked well so far. Place my bids in within the last fifteen seconds and usually that's good enough to win.

Last edited:

vestbash

Reaction score

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
Hi guys:

kilowatts
Yep. You never forget the ones that got away!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I posted what we determined to be 1940s Stetson for Ben B. Berke Blue on Blue Wingtips. This week, I'm wearing that shoe's cousin, 1940s John McHale for Ben B Berke Blue on Blue Wingtips. I like the McHale design even more, with the thin strip of leather around the eyelets and natural sole edge finish. View attachment 1475673 View attachment 1475674 View attachment 1475675 View attachment 1475676

Wow it takes something to impress me after the vintage shoes I've owned/own but undying :inlove: Only question is why are they McHales? I think they are more like early Stetson Saratogas

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys:

kilowatts
It has happened a few times. Sometimes I set an alarm.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow it takes something to impress me after the vintage shoes I've owned/own but undying :inlove: Only question is why are they McHales? I think they are more like early Stetson Saratogas

The toe medallion is one that was used by McHale, and the soles are stamped Made in Canada. Dream shoes!

The first adverts for John McHale shoes by Ben Berke appear in 1946. Finding "John McHale" on any shoe made by Scott-McHale did not begin until late 1944, after the death of Francis Scott. Up until that time the highest quality line remained the Astoria.

IMG_3715.JPEG

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads