• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dekalog

Reaction score

tan essex mto, too bad it's not stitchdown or would instancop

dekalog

Reaction score

who's the lucky guy who gets to do MTO?

HK Benny's Store. MTO for 4 pairs only due to dead stock of leather at Viberg. I preorder and the makeup was originally SD but later change to GYW. So I pass and bought brown WF SD instead.
Have I make the wrong choice? Any difference between natural & tan essex?

Last edited:

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure why they need to do essex leather in GYW. but if you were expecting SD, you shouldn't settle for something else. the WF is nice as well.

typically natural is more yellowish and tan has a bit more reddish/orange tone

dekalog

Reaction score

not sure why they need to do essex leather in GYW. but if you were expecting SD, you shouldn't settle for something else. the WF is nice as well

not sure either as essex in SD is so dope:

only hope to get the same makeup in SD is if truman would restock this again:

Last edited:

jzpac

Reaction score
I just saw Viberg has restocked tan horsehide in my size, considering snagging a pair but on the fence due to GYW vs SD. Anyone have a pair that can comment?

Aviv

Reaction score
I just saw Viberg has restocked tan horsehide in my size, considering snagging a pair but on the fence due to GYW vs SD. Anyone have a pair that can comment?

I had those - they fit me way tighter than SD. I find that the GYW overall creates a tighter fit, especially with leathers like the Guidi calf or horse. They just feel tighter. I had to sell as a result.

jzpac

Reaction score
I had those - they fit me way tighter than SD. I find that the GYW overall creates a tighter fit, especially with leathers like the Guidi calf or horse. They just feel tighter. I had to sell as a result.

Incredibly helpful, thank you. Aesthetically did you feel GYW was inferior? I know it's a personal preference but the input is appreciated.

Aviv

Reaction score
Incredibly helpful, thank you. Aesthetically did you feel GYW was inferior? I know it's a personal preference but the input is appreciated.

I should also mention it was the combination of a partially structured toe with GYW that made the fit wrong.

I have posted a lot here about how much I dislike Viberg's GYW. It's not a moral thing, and I don't think they are betraying themselves or anyone else by trying to do it. I simply think the most attractive, aesthetically pleasing and unique aspect of Viberg's look is the stitch down. Having owned both and done plenty of comparison, I can confidently say that the look of the last, especially 2030, is affected negatively without the SD. I think they end up looking sort of like a nice English boot ala Crockett and Jones or something. The problem is, I'd rather just get C&J because they nail that dressier, refined look.

Now, I realize much of the draw to Viberg is the durability and construction. You will no doubt still get all of that with GYW. I simply don't believe anyone who claims it is less durable than SD (I actually think GYW could be re-soled more times but that's another argument). With that said, once you're into the Viberg price range all this durability talk is moot to me on some level. My best friend refuses to pay for more than his Red Wing Iron Rangers, even though he lusts desperately whenever he sees my Vibergs. He treats his boots harshly and his Red Wings have held up perfectly well. My point is that if you're paying for Viberg, you should get exactly the details you want. Don't settle. I have done this too much myself for a specific leather or detail and was never happy and always sold them.

To sum up: SD is THE Viberg look as far as I'm concerned. It is what sets them apart AESTHETICALLY. For me personally, this is the main reason I buy and wear the boots: for the look. Plenty of cheaper options will be just as durable. (Just to cover my bases here, I'm not saying Viberg is not worth the money, I clearly think they are and that's why I own them. I'm saying in my mind I'm paying for the construction AS WELL AS and principally for the design.)

Last edited:

jzpac

Reaction score
I should also mention it was the combination of a partially structured toe with GYW that made the fit wrong.

I have posted a lot here about how much I dislike Viberg's GYW. It's not a moral thing, and I don't think they are betraying themselves or anyone else by trying to do it. I simply think the most attractive, aesthetically pleasing and unique aspect of Viberg's look is the stitch down. Having owned both and done plenty of comparison, I can confidently say that the look of the last, especially 2030, is affected negatively without the SD. I think they end up looking sort of like a nice English boot ala Crockett and Jones or something. The problem is, I'd rather just get C&J because they nail that dressier, refined look.

Now, I realize much of the draw to Viberg is the durability and construction. You will no doubt still get all of that with GYW. I simply don't believe anyone who claims it is less durable than SD (I actually think GYW could be re-soled more times but that's another argument). With that said, once you're into the Viberg price range all this durability talk is moot to me on some level. My best friend refuses to pay for more than his Red Wing Iron Rangers, even though he lusts desperately whenever he sees my Vibergs. He treats his boots harshly and his Red Wings have held up perfectly well. My point is that if you're paying for Viberg, you should get exactly the details you want. Don't settle. I have done this too much myself for a specific leather or detail and was never happy and always sold them.

To sum up: SD is THE Viberg look as far as I'm concerned. It is what sets them apart AESTHETICALLY. For me personally, this is the main reason I buy and wear the boots: for the look. Plenty of cheaper options will be just as durable. (Just to cover my bases here, I'm not saying Viberg is not worth the money, I clearly think they are and that's why I own them. I'm saying in my mind I'm paying for the construction AS WELL AS and principally for the design.)

Hit the nail on the head here brother. SD is the Viberg look, and whenever I'm wearing them I always find myself looking down drawn to this particular aesthetic. Thanks for the affirmation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads