• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviv

Reaction score
Why all the CXL hate? Just because it has become ubiquitous? As has been discussed at length in this thread, Viberg seems to choose the thickest possible CXL skins, and they really do stand up to the task of durability to match Viberg's quality. All the complaints seem to be aesthetic: creases, wrinkles, etc. I suppose what I'm getting at is the following question: do people dislike it because they think it is not good quality, or simply because it creases and behaves in ways not pleasing to the eye?

I just used venetian cream and horsehair brush on my brown CXL service boots for the first time after 6 months wear. The leather came to life in such an amazing way. Tons of beautiful undertones shining through now. (Though I doubt one would see such nice coloration on black CXL).

Omert4

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why all the CXL hate? Just because it has become ubiquitous? As has been discussed at length in this thread, Viberg seems to choose the thickest possible CXL skins, and they really do stand up to the task of durability to match Viberg's quality. All the complaints seem to be aesthetic: creases, wrinkles, etc. I suppose what I'm getting at is the following question: do people dislike it because they think it is not good quality, or simply because it creases and behaves in ways not pleasing to the eye?

I just used venetian cream and horsehair brush on my brown CXL service boots for the first time after 6 months wear. The leather came to life in such an amazing way. Tons of beautiful undertones shining through now. (Though I doubt one would see such nice coloration on black CXL).
http://horween.com/101/on-leather-quality-and-properties/

That's what Nick Horween considers acceptable. If I were him, I'd be embarrassed for putting out that junk. I believe Thicker CXL is actually more likely to have terrible creasing, though not sure.

-not directed at you-

If you goal is to look like a stylish homeless person, CXL and that W+H makeup would be ideal. Beat them around and get a real nice patina. While you sit around thinking you are on the same level as Isaac Newton, Abraham Lincoln, or Einstein because you have on some bum-looking $800 boots, others around you will just think you're a weirdo bum that got your funky shoes from the salvation army. I am not quite sure why this look is desirable to some people who wear on boots and selvedge jeans.

Last edited:

fitchottie

Reaction score

I think it has todo with the crazy and thick creases ,also where someone who wears regular fit pants where you don't see the shaft or exterior of the boot may think differently then someone who wears slim fit or rolls their cuff. I only care about the toe when it comes to loose grain: I have posted questions in Alden and in truth it seems to be a normal occurrence... The only one I have seen with minimal is whites... But maybe I haven't looked hard enough
1f61c.png

Last edited:

Aviv

Reaction score
http://horween.com/101/on-leather-quality-and-properties/

That's what Nick Horween considers acceptable. If I were him, I'd be embarrassed for putting out that junk. I believe Thicker CXL is actually more likely to have terrible creasing, though not sure.

-not directed at you-

If you goal is to look like a stylish homeless person, CXL and that W+H makeup would be ideal. Beat them around and get a real nice patina. While you sit around thinking you are on the same level as Isaac Newton, Abraham Lincoln, or Einstein because you have on some bum-looking $800 boots, others around you will just think you're a weirdo bum that got your funky shoes from the salvation army. I am not quite sure why this look is desirable to some people who wear on boots and selvedge jeans.

While this is a totally valid point, it is purely subjective. Those who want their leather to show its wear (and I mean actually hard wear, not just patina) have their own aesthetic preferences. Bum-looking? One man's trash is another's treasure?

Nothing wrong with having polished-ass pristine $800 boots, or nicely worn patina-ed boots that cost $800. As long as they pass the test of time. With that said, those who literally do nothing to maintain their boots are a bit silly to me. You may as well just buy Red Wings or something. Even if going for the broken-in look, a pair of $800 Viberg's deserves some cream and a buff with a horsehair brush 1-2 times a year.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
W+H looks good, but those Notre ones are fire. Pre-ordered them today

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
Looks like black CXL which i'm not the biggest fan of and will crease poorly on a plain toe usually
This is nonsense. If the leather is selected properly, it's not just going to crease in an outrageous way. A good clicker will bend the leather before cutting it and make sure this doesn't happen.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from the flapgate issue, my natural CXL derbies are some of the most beautiful shoes I own. They are developing an amazing depth of patina.

Omert4

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Don't feed the troll

Someone disagrees with my opinion thus he's a troll!!!

He might be a troll, but there's enough people spreading that nonsense here and on other forums. As much as I'm sick of CXL, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. 

A leather worker on record over on GYW says it's sometimes it's impossible how to tell exactly how badly CXL will crease and the thicker the piece, the more it can loose grain crease (iirc). Nothing against viberg as they use cxl because of demand. I think you should think twice before you call something "nonsense." Cxl is an inherently flawed steer hide, junk leather and not worth the price tag.

Last edited:

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
Someone disagrees with my opinion thus he's a troll!!!
A leather worker on record over on GYW says it's sometimes it's impossible how to tell exactly how badly CXL will crease and the thicker the piece, the more it can loose grain crease (iirc). Nothing against viberg as they use cxl because of demand. I think you should think twice before you call something "nonsense." Cxl is an inherently flawed steer hide, junk leather and not worth the price tag.
I heard him say the same thing and plenty have repeated it. It's misinformation. He said that he can bend the leather and get it to crease. It seems like he doesn't actually bend the leather as part of his leather selection process to weed that out. I asked an experienced leather worker about it, and he said that with Chromexcel there can be more of an area of the hide that exhibits this behavior, and it can be harder to detect with CXL. Good leather workers can avoid it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads