• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vermilyea Pelle

Shalomp

Reaction score
i too was considering a filson but did a lot of reading up and grew to realize that their products just weren't the way they originally were.

since u have been researching waxed canvas briefcases, i would assume u are looking to own a bag made of that fabric. i own the field bag in olive waxed canvas and that material is coarse comparing it to pictures of timbuk2 and tom binh bags. so if u plan to load a tablet, macbook, or anything that u do not want scratched u should consider getting individual sleeves. VP bags also feel much more hefty and heavier than a typical messenger bag made out of polyester material.

i've been carrying messengers all my life so naturally i gravitated to the field bag. But u won't go wrong with a VP briefcase either :)

Just found you guys researching waxed canvas briefcases, and these Vermilyea Pelle bags look awesome. I was just learning more about the Filson bags and had that feeling I missed the peak of that trend, and would frankly pick the more obscure but quality brand any day.

Between the VP briefcase and field bag, is the inside organization the same? I've seen one set of Std Briefcase photos that show two phone-size slot and wide pen slot, and the laptop/tablet sleeve. I thought I saw a video that showed a second sleeve on the opposite, maybe on the field bag. On the outside, it seems the field bag has two half sleeves on the front and a full magazine sleeve on the bag. The Std briefcase seems to have full magazine sleeves on front and back. I know these aren't overly organized bags, but I like a little organization. I also want something that will fit a light jacket and water bottle, in addition to my travel kit of Surface Pro tablet, charger, phone and charger, some cords and a mid-sized notebook.

I'm looking to upgrade from my current Timbuk2 messenger or Tom Binh backpack, which are big and highly organized. These are way up the quality/style scale, smaller and much simpler. I'm curious why each of you chose the brief over the field bag or vice versa. Looks, interior size, handles?

Thanks for the videos and pics, and any advice you can give.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just found you guys researching waxed canvas briefcases, and these Vermilyea Pelle bags look awesome. I was just learning more about the Filson bags and had that feeling I missed the peak of that trend, and would frankly pick the more obscure but quality brand any day.

Between the VP briefcase and field bag, is the inside organization the same? I've seen one set of Std Briefcase photos that show two phone-size slot and wide pen slot, and the laptop/tablet sleeve. I thought I saw a video that showed a second sleeve on the opposite, maybe on the field bag. On the outside, it seems the field bag has two half sleeves on the front and a full magazine sleeve on the bag. The Std briefcase seems to have full magazine sleeves on front and back. I know these aren't overly organized bags, but I like a little organization. I also want something that will fit a light jacket and water bottle, in addition to my travel kit of Surface Pro tablet, charger, phone and charger, some cords and a mid-sized notebook.

I'm looking to upgrade from my current Timbuk2 messenger or Tom Binh backpack, which are big and highly organized. These are way up the quality/style scale, smaller and much simpler. I'm curious why each of you chose the brief over the field bag or vice versa. Looks, interior size, handles?

I came to VP from a vintage Filson #257 and (custom) Timbuk2 messenger. It had a lot of interior small pockets that offered a lot of places to tuck all the stuff that comes along with my very regular travels. I decided to move to a VP (love supporting a small business doing things at this level of quality) and Dustin was able to offer me a custom bag that was 1" wider and mirrored the interior laptop pocket and accompanying small spaces to the other side. This easily achieves what the #257 could hold.

I've taken it on several trips now, including an international trip where it absorbed a couple laptops, my ANC over-the-ear headphones in the case, my SLR and couple lenses as well as the normal battery charger, reading glasses, passport and various other bits. It was stuffed to the gills, but carried perfectly.
DYREp7J.jpg

I'm extremely happy with this bag, and I tend to be a picky bastard about stuff, especially when it comes to travel. I might have thought to add a strap across the bag to secure it to the roller, but it "sits" better than the Filson and especially the Timbuk2 (they both lack the luggage strap too).

Highly recommended.

spgrk

Reaction score

I bought a VP field bag but found it was too small, returned it, and got a briefcase instead. The briefcase is about the same size and carrying capacity as a Filson classic briefcase.

Shalomp

Reaction score
what size was your field bag? dustin makes them in a couple of different sizes

I bought a VP field bag but found it was too small, returned it, and got a briefcase instead. The briefcase is about the same size and carrying capacity as a Filson classic briefcase.

pnwprice

Reaction score
Long-time filson guy here. Own many filson bags, including restoration and “vintage” bags. I can say without hesitation that VP has taken up the mantle from the filson of old, and honestly probably surpassed it. All of my favorite pieces from the last few years have been Filson restored “talon era” bags and VP.

This is my newest addition. An all leather whiskey cavalier chromexcel briefcase. Unreal quality leather. For the price-point it destroys Filson’s Weatherproof leather line (which is still really nice). Very thoughtful and unique design. It’s a real pleasure to carry.

Attachments

• EC3AB629-8569-45FC-994D-6DECDBDA41ED.jpeg
    EC3AB629-8569-45FC-994D-6DECDBDA41ED.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 178
  • D12C6A63-0060-45FC-88E2-6E305C68B7BF.jpeg
    D12C6A63-0060-45FC-88E2-6E305C68B7BF.jpeg
    505.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 8EC825BB-673E-4DD6-9C1F-F45B1ACA6FB3.jpeg
    8EC825BB-673E-4DD6-9C1F-F45B1ACA6FB3.jpeg
    441.9 KB · Views: 195
  • C9E2F4A4-B10C-43CA-911F-89CA02BB0B26.jpeg
    C9E2F4A4-B10C-43CA-911F-89CA02BB0B26.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 196
  • D6AB761D-BE55-4630-B641-C5730DF9D471.jpeg
    D6AB761D-BE55-4630-B641-C5730DF9D471.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 189
  • C343418E-B373-42EA-BDD0-EAB9318B890F.jpeg
    C343418E-B373-42EA-BDD0-EAB9318B890F.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 0F734CDD-FE98-409C-BEFC-E88F0228F3C7.jpeg
    0F734CDD-FE98-409C-BEFC-E88F0228F3C7.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 205
  • A6A36E88-F4CF-4EE1-8F6A-806EAC771499.jpeg
    A6A36E88-F4CF-4EE1-8F6A-806EAC771499.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 320
  • FCC15B03-D63C-440B-AD6D-3B84D8B4F81B.jpeg
    FCC15B03-D63C-440B-AD6D-3B84D8B4F81B.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 1,239

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came to VP from a vintage Filson #257 and (custom) Timbuk2 messenger. It had a lot of interior small pockets that offered a lot of places to tuck all the stuff that comes along with my very regular travels. I decided to move to a VP (love supporting a small business doing things at this level of quality) and Dustin was able to offer me a custom bag that was 1" wider and mirrored the interior laptop pocket and accompanying small spaces to the other side. This easily achieves what the #257 could hold.

I've taken it on several trips now, including an international trip where it absorbed a couple laptops, my ANC over-the-ear headphones in the case, my SLR and couple lenses as well as the normal battery charger, reading glasses, passport and various other bits. It was stuffed to the gills, but carried perfectly.
DYREp7J.jpg

I'm extremely happy with this bag, and I tend to be a picky bastard about stuff, especially when it comes to travel. I might have thought to add a strap across the bag to secure it to the roller, but it "sits" better than the Filson and especially the Timbuk2 (they both lack the luggage strap too).

Highly recommended.
M635,
Your customized VP briefcase looks outstanding. I echo your sentiments about supporting small businesses and Dustin is at the top of his game. I just received my first briefcase today (ranger tan/brown nut dublin) to complement my previous VP purchases.

Long-time filson guy here. Own many filson bags, including restoration and “vintage” bags. I can say without hesitation that VP has taken up the mantle from the filson of old, and honestly probably surpassed it. All of my favorite pieces from the last few years have been Filson restored “talon era” bags and VP.

This is my newest addition. An all leather whiskey cavalier chromexcel briefcase. Unreal quality leather. For the price-point it destroys Filson’s Weatherproof leather line (which is still really nice). Very thoughtful and unique design. It’s a real pleasure to carry.
pnw,
Beautiful briefcase and thanks for sharing so many great pics. I love VP’s all-leather gear as much as their waxed-canvas makeups. My wife bought me an all leather brown nut dublin field bag and I carry it to work 5 days/week. It’s bulletproof and I don’t know how I ever went to work without one previously.

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll try to post some pics tomorrow of my previously purchased VP gear (all leather field bag, canvas/leather 20” duffle, small cross body purse for my wife, and belts) as well as the VP items I received today (20” duffle, briefcase, Dopp kit). All of Dustin’s gear is truly incredible.

Zeke90

Reaction score

DYREp7J.jpg

Highly recommended.

Could you post your VP next your 257? Im considering contacting justin for a custom sized one like yours

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1D8DFADD-B727-41CA-8127-4C695CE154E1.jpeg
Here is my collection of VP products. I had previously owned Filson gear but opted to move over to VP and Dustin for a number of reasons.

Clockwise from the right of the lamp: brown nut dublin dopp kit; all leather brown nut dublin field bag; 3 assorted belts; ranger tan/brown nut dublin 20” duffle; ranger tan/brown nut dublin briefcase; and heavy olive/whiskey latigo 20” duffle.

A bit excessive but I’m set for life! ?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you post your VP next your 257? Im considering contacting justin for a custom sized one like yours
Unfortunately, I sold the 257. I'd say the VP bag has a bit more volume - maybe a bit taller, but whatever it is I've put a ton of stuff in it. The dual panels inside are great too. It wasn't a standard build - mine is wider (5.5" to match the 257) and had him mirror the interior (2 laptop/file pockets along with the smaller pockets).

It has been all over the world now - Europe twice, Asia several times, domestic trips. I haven't regretted traveling with it for a single moment.

Walterego

Reaction score

Thanks for sharing these pictures! The leather looks amazing. I'm not sure how long you've had it but how does it hold up over time? I'm curious about how the all-leather bags "stand" vs. the waxed canvas bags. As the leather breaks in and softens, is it still sturdy enough that it stays upright when empty?

Mrfuzon

Reaction score

DYREp7J.jpg

Highly recommended.
pics of the interior? i think thats my only gripe with the bag, is the internal pockets layout.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RogersSpeers