• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fad P

Reaction score
Yep that’s it. The one I have is a gabardine. The sateens in that book look great as well but are definitely textured and probably not what you’re looking for.

You might want to check Fox “khaki” bunch as well. I have a couple pieces in that and it’s really good also. Very similar to the Dugdale. Both have great colors as well.

Never heard of a high end mill doing any kind of viscose blend. If you’re interested in a blend, check out Drapers Three Kings for the tricotine which is something like 70/30 cotton and wool blend. It’s incredible for summer trousering and would be the “dressiest” option of the three. Slightly limited colors though I’m afraid.
Thanks again - Three Kings looks interesting - maybe not as cool and crisp as I was looking for but will try to source a sample for sure.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it’s actually the same material just a different (US?) name for it. Either way I’m still to find a good version of it.

no they are two different things but comparable for some purposes

wolfdale

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, not sure this is the right thread, but im looking to buy a brown herringbone tweed sportscoat and struggling to find it. Spier and mackay, suitsupply dont have them, armoury is out of my budget (and doesnt seem to carry it) and lamarche and andrea from korea have beautiful ones, but all sold out for my size. Any ideas?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A suit in Smith’s Blue Riband recently arrived.

I LOVE this fabric. Holds a crease, is great for my internal thermometer, and the finish is fantastic. I prefer it to Premier Cru by far.

My suit is in dark grey. I have a strong preference for grey over navy but there are some nice navies in Blue Riband so I was thinking of going with one of those next… but I see Blue Riband has been pulled from the Harrison’s website. So maybe it’s gone for good.
Is Blue Riband now sold as Abacus? I don't see it on the website.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Speaking of lengths, how do you all store them? I’ve just used individual plastic bags for them and then have an even bigger plastic bag over them.
Bins from Target, or large cooler chests (available at places like West Marine).

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good source of velvet? I am trying to specifically find a chocolate brown or olive velvet material.

twuthetiger

Reaction score
Going to commission a navy hopsack jacket for the summer. Any recommendations for the fabrics? I know there’s the oyster bunch from Harrison’s, but it’s 13 oz. I wonder if that’s too heavy and would look too formal to be a standalone jacket.

oldworldelegance

Reaction score

camez_

Reaction score
Going to commission a navy hopsack jacket for the summer. Any recommendations for the fabrics? I know there’s the oyster bunch from Harrison’s, but it’s 13 oz. I wonder if that’s too heavy and would look too formal to be a standalone jacket.
drapers montecarlo

perfect for the warmer days

just received three lengths of shirtings. 3x thomas mason, two denim, one oxford. might send a big package to my tailor in the near future and get it funded quite soon

PXY2I.jpg

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, not sure this is the right thread, but im looking to buy a brown herringbone tweed sportscoat and struggling to find it. Spier and mackay, suitsupply dont have them, armoury is out of my budget (and doesnt seem to carry it) and lamarche and andrea from korea have beautiful ones, but all sold out for my size. Any ideas?
This is because brown herringbone tweed jackets are usually a fall/winter item and it's April. You'll probably have a hard time finding many options from retailers in the Northern Hemisphere. If you really need one now, maybe check Australian vendors?? Just a guess.

wolfdale

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is because brown herringbone tweed jackets are usually a fall/winter item and it's April. You'll probably have a hard time finding many options from retailers in the Northern Hemisphere. If you really need one now, maybe check Australian vendors?? Just a guess.
Thank you for the reply! Its for my wedding in December. Should I wait longer to buy one? Maybe wait until fall?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply! Its for my wedding in December. Should I wait longer to buy one? Maybe wait until fall?

Basically yes, if you’re looking for a RTW jacket. There should be plenty of options come September unless you are an unusual size/build.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads