• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The standeven trousers were actually my first proper bespoke order ever. I picked the cloth because it had better color variegation than the heavier weights in the bunch. I enjoy the trousers, but I think if I could order again I might choose the 310g instead despite the less variegated yarn.

While I have only felt the standeven explorer, I stand strongly behind that fox air is awesome. Same with drapers ascot for just trousers (too hot on hot summer days with a jacket, although arguably what isn’t?)

It's not a color I can easily wear though - INV027 - Black Venetian 480g. Incredible
Wear it with a polo shirt on the weekend or on days where a jacket would be too formal, but you want to look put together. There’ve been plenty of days where I wanted to just wear navy suit pants because I didn’t need to wear the jacket. I typically wear something else. You can also wear it with a jumper, turtleneck or even a leather / suede jacket.

Btw, I was like you: I didn’t think a pair of black trousers would be useful, until I saw Marco Cerrato with a pair of black trousers on and he told me they were his most useful pair of trousers. Now, I’m thinking about ordering a pair for myself (maybe navy).

While I think navy would’ve been better, the price was right! How does it breathe?

sake99

Reaction score
I am very interested in these, contacted Rogna in Italian and they told they would get back to me, but to no avail until now. Is your tailor in Italy?

No unfortunately, in Asia. The colors/shades look very Saman Amel-esque. He also mentioned that the 4ply has cold shades of olive/brown that are quite unique

I commissioned a pair in this pearl-grey 4ply which reminds me of a summer version of Stoffa's pearl moss trousers

Attachments

• unnamed.jpeg
    unnamed.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 190

sensuki

Reaction score
While I have only felt the standeven explorer, I stand strongly behind that fox air is awesome. Same with drapers ascot for just trousers (too hot on hot summer days with a jacket, although arguably what isn’t?)

Wear it with a polo shirt on the weekend or on days where a jacket would be too formal, but you want to look put together. There’ve been plenty of days where I wanted to just wear navy suit pants because I didn’t need to wear the jacket. I typically wear something else. You can also wear it with a jumper, turtleneck or even a leather / suede jacket.

Btw, I was like you: I didn’t think a pair of black trousers would be useful, until I saw Marco Cerrato with a pair of black trousers on and he told me they were his most useful pair of trousers. Now, I’m thinking about ordering a pair for myself (maybe navy).

While I think navy would’ve been better, the price was right! How does it breathe?

I haven't worn them out yet, as I received them at the beginning of Summer in Australia. We're starting to tip into the cooler weather now so I will get the chance shortly. All your points on what to wear them with are good - my issue is that the pants aren't very flexible in my wardrobe currently - I have some knitwear colors that will work - blacks and greys for sure and maybe but not sure about some of the other colors. All of my outerwear is navy, which I think might clash due to the depth & tone of the black, will see.

When I get the chance I'll post a photo of them because the fabric is worth highlighting for sure.

Edit: It's probably worth pointing out that I have worn two of my recently-ish acquired worsted heavier weight trousers - LP 460g smarter 'denim' and 500g Dugdale Inv Bed cord and neither feel 'warm'. I've only worn them in up to low 20s celcius and I haven't felt warm, nor cold. I've got Woollen flannels 340gm that are warmer than both. One difference might be that they would stop wind better due to being tighter woven, but indoors with heating or out in the sun, the flannel is warmer. I don't imagine the black will be much different.

Last edited:

LJ1891

Reaction score
When people describe Dugdale Tropicalair as suiting they are speaking about the “high twist” variation right? The mockleno variation would be appropriate for a separate jacket correct?

Last edited:

Fad P

Reaction score
No unfortunately, in Asia. The colors/shades look very Saman Amel-esque. He also mentioned that the 4ply has cold shades of olive/brown that are quite unique

I commissioned a pair in this pearl-grey 4ply which reminds me of a summer version of Stoffa's pearl moss trousers
I’m a Rogna fan. And yes – I believe Saman Amel uses them quite extensively.

Suit Supply has started to use their fabrics as well (which kind of takes away the allure a bit, to be honest).

Rogna used to have images of their fabrics on their website, but not anymore, unfortunately.

Last edited:

sake99

Reaction score
I’m a Rogna fan. And yes – I believe Saman Amel uses them quite extensively.

Suit Supply has started to use their fabrics as well (which kind of takes away the allure a bit, to be honest).

Rogna used to have images of their fabrics on their website, but not anymore, unfortunately.

Ah interesting that SA and Suit Supply may use the same fabrics, any comment on the general quality of the fabrics?

Fad P

Reaction score
Ah interesting that SA and Suit Supply may use the same fabrics, any comment on the general quality of the fabrics?
I know for a fact that they do. But it’s quite evident that SS has used brands like Saman and Stoffa as their blueprint.

And SS uses fabrics from Solbiati, Marling & Evans, Piacenza, etc., so I’m not gonna let them taint my appreciation for all those great mills haha.

I have a suit in Rogna wool/silk/linen that I love. I think they get the hues just right. I’ve only worn it a handful of times so far, so I can’t speak much about how their fabrics hold up over time - but it looks and feels great.

Fad P

Reaction score
Btw. Does anyone have a recommendation for a sharp, crisp cotton with some body that holds a crease well in off-white or bone?

I’m looking for fabric for a pair of summer trousers, something to wear with a sport coat, so not overly casual. Please avoid linen, peached cottons, or moleskins. Thanks!

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't worn them out yet, as I received them at the beginning of Summer in Australia. We're starting to tip into the cooler weather now so I will get the chance shortly. All your points on what to wear them with are good - my issue is that the pants aren't very flexible in my wardrobe currently - I have some knitwear colors that will work - blacks and greys for sure and maybe but not sure about some of the other colors. All of my outerwear is navy, which I think might clash due to the depth & tone of the black, will see.

When I get the chance I'll post a photo of them because the fabric is worth highlighting for sure.

Edit: It's probably worth pointing out that I have worn two of my recently-ish acquired worsted heavier weight trousers - LP 460g smarter 'denim' and 500g Dugdale Inv Bed cord and neither feel 'warm'. I've only worn them in up to low 20s celcius and I haven't felt warm, nor cold. I've got Woollen flannels 340gm that are warmer than both. One difference might be that they would stop wind better due to being tighter woven, but indoors with heating or out in the sun, the flannel is warmer. I don't imagine the black will be much different.
Oh. Another thought, you can also wear it with a dinner jacket / tuxedo shirt. I won’t go as far as saying they’re the most versatile, but I think they’re pretty versatile.

I’ve thought about getting a blackwatch dinner jacket with just piping around the edges. That I could dress up to a tuxedo or down with jeans, a denim shirt, cowboy boots. Just something I’m tossing around in my head. It’s not high on my priorities list.

Rowqk777

Reaction score
Any good cashmere or cashmere blend recommendations in a tan colour appropriate for a sport coat? - or any other cloth suggestion suitable for a tan sportcoat for a summer cocktail party. Many thanks!

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any good cashmere or cashmere blend recommendations in a tan colour appropriate for a sport coat? - or any other cloth suggestion suitable for a tan sportcoat for a summer cocktail party. Many thanks!

Summer and cashmere is rough.

camez_

Reaction score
lp cashmere cloud
piacenza has some mega lightweight cloth at around 200g
and zegna as well.

if you want cashmere, you should go mega light and if it is available, open weave, however, I haven't seen open weave cashmere summer jacketing for a while now

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The 9oz Fresco is dependable. Also, there is a similar 3-ply Finmeresco that is great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads