• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for a green colour (ideally a darker shade of green) cloth to be used for a suit suitable for warmer climates? Thanks
People have mixed feelings about Crispaire but I like their shade of forest green for suiting.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He said warm climate. Not cool. If you’re for colder weather, standeven heritage twist has some awesome olive worsteds. I liked a herringbone 14 oz and a twill 18oz

People have mixed feelings about Crispaire but I like their shade of forest green for suiting.

Crispaire is one of the worse fabrics I’ve ever used. Hate it with a passion, so glad I only did a pair of trousers in it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a green colour (ideally a darker shade of green) cloth to be used for a suit suitable for warmer climates? Thanks

Check fox air, they have some awesome olive colored fabrics.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He said warm climate. Not cool. If you’re for colder weather, standeven heritage twist has some awesome olive worsteds. I liked a herringbone 14 oz and a twill 18oz

Crispaire is one of the worse fabrics I’ve ever used. Hate it with a passion, so glad I only did a pair of trousers in it.

Check fox air, they have some awesome olive colored fabrics.
Err....cool wool is a lightwight fabric made especially for summertime. My (admittedly weird) Norfolk suit is made from a cool wool fabric and wears extremely light and airy (I couldn't wear it in Scandinavia's summer evenings as it is half-lined).
IMG_4726.jpg

Last edited:

Free Style

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations @Concordia @The Chai @bernoulli @jonathanS @TheSuitBurnsBetter

@Concordia to be honest I am not entirely sure yet, I am open to both at this stage, although seems easier to find an olive shade cloth (my impression is there are more options in that shade)

@The Chai nice one, will try to go to the local dealer to see it in person. Looking at the Spencer Bryson website they seem to have quite a few options across different ranges

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations @Concordia @The Chai @bernoulli @jonathanS @TheSuitBurnsBetter

@Concordia to be honest I am not entirely sure yet, I am open to both at this stage, although seems easier to find an olive shade cloth (my impression is there are more options in that shade)

@The Chai nice one, will try to go to the local dealer to see it in person. Looking at the Spencer Bryson website they seem to have quite a few options across different ranges
You can email them to request samples, and order a length too.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
This is Dugdale Needle Ready sunburst cloth (not dark hunter green, but still a lovely shade). 9.5 ounces with 2 % cashmere. I had this one made buggy lined

Attachments

• IMG_6085.jpeg
    IMG_6085.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 136

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you care to elaborate?

I have two pairs of Crispaire trousers and they have been fantastic for me. Great breathability and handfeel and hold their shape beautifully despite my wearing them very hard. I find it very curious people on here trash this cloth. I vastly prefer them to HFW Fresco and its about a tie with Drapers 4 ply.

mactire

Reaction score
Anyone know where to source Melton wool? Specifically, actually heavy-weight fabric -- around the 35 oz./yd. mark. I've been trying to find (non-tweed) fabrics for a heavy overcoat (this should be a redundant description, but this seems to have been lost on most in the present day...), but nothing's come up yet. About the heaviest fabric that I've been able to find so far is 850gsm (25oz.; Harrisons Cashmere Overcoating -- and it being cashmere, I shudder to think what it must cost per meter). I've looked around the forums a bit, and while I can find references to coats in roughly that weight range, no one seems to know what mills are providing the coatings for those.

There's also HE Box https://www.heboxltd.co.uk and Marling and Evans.

MRex

Reaction score
There's also HE Box https://www.heboxltd.co.uk and Marling and Evans.
Thank you, but as I read it, HE Box's Melton wool is 590gsm, which is winter suit weight (or topcoat, at best) as far as I'm concerned. I'm specifically looking for coating, which I expect to be over 900gsm. They do list a cavalry twill at 990gsm under their Country Range (along with a similar weight Keeper's tweed, but that's tweed); however, they do not have any information on it beyond that. Marling & Evans' heaviest fabric is still sub-800gsm.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you care to elaborate?
Don’t like them. Doesn’t drape well, & hold its crease well. Nice hand though. It tries to be a fresco and a smooth cloth at the same time, which it is neither.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Might depend on the tailor's approach as to whether it works. I have a Crispaire suit from a more-structured SR shop, and it works very well. Of course, I don't wear it every day or every week, even.

Marshak

Reaction score
I have two pairs of Crispaire trousers and they have been fantastic for me. Great breathability and handfeel and hold their shape beautifully despite my wearing them very hard. I find it very curious people on here trash this cloth. I vastly prefer them to HFW Fresco and its about a tie with Drapers 4 ply.

I've owned a pair of Crispaire trousers. Of course it's not a bad fabric, quite soft with a decent drape, but it's not comparable with the Draper's 4-ply. Crispaire is more tightly weaved and less breatheable and, above all, a lot more fragile. The pair has ripped off few years after its making.

For those who can't bear the scratchiness of a true Fresco, the 4-ply should be the first choice for a high twist. For warm weather nothing can't surpass a heavy linen. No matter the weight, the dryness of the cloth will save you from overheating.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads