• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "every outfit in the series was completely new" is a Netflix production issue. I caught an article on it a while back and apparently the studio mandates "new" clothing for every series/movie. Industry practice for studios was to have either an archive or just "manufacture wear" on garments. Netflix just does new garments every time and they don't do anything to make them look worn or lived in.

I've even seen some people complain about it because it ruins the immersion for them watching a show/movie where everything looks brand new.

It can't be a blanket policy, or at least big names can override it, because there are some beautiful vintage items in The Irishman/I Heard You Paint Houses.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can't be a blanket policy, or at least big names can override it, because there are some beautiful vintage items in The Irishman/I Heard You Paint Houses.
Maybe Scorsese is such an established director that he can ignore this rule. I can’t imagine a Netflix exec telling him what clothing to use in a movie.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for thoughts about trousers. Anyone had anything made from Harrison's Sea Shell? Curious about the terylene. I quite liked this green for an odd summer jacket but not sure about the terylene.

Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 9.19.53 PM copy.jpg

tiltgunnar

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for a navy suit. Main usage is business in FW/Spring, however, I don't like the shine that comes with twill fabrics, and I would like to be able to use it with e.g., a merino polo in more casual settings.

I have had Ascot 4-ply in mind but I understand thats more suited for summer. Moreover, my tailor recommended the Standeven British Classic 4003 Royal Blue Plain ( https://www.standevenfabrics.co.uk/product/4003-royal-blue-plain/ ). Anyone got experience with this? I'm afraid that the royal blue is too light.

Grateful for other suggestions!

Best,

camez_

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for a navy suit. Main usage is business in FW/Spring, however, I don't like the shine that comes with twill fabrics, and I would like to be able to use it with e.g., a merino polo in more casual settings.

I have had Ascot 4-ply in mind but I understand thats more suited for summer. Moreover, my tailor recommended the Standeven British Classic 4003 Royal Blue Plain ( https://www.standevenfabrics.co.uk/product/4003-royal-blue-plain/ ). Anyone got experience with this? I'm afraid that the royal blue is too light.

Best,

go for the 4ply, it's a good fall/spring cloth

L.deJong

Reaction score
But it would explain a lot of things for other films/series, and I don't understand why Netflix would mandate such a thing, on the other hand if bespoke tailors make a lot of the clothing it would be no problem of course. But I expect that 'the gentleman' didn't go that route because a lot of suits fit very badly.
Ripley the series also has some great clothing and has way better tailoring, with some pieces feeling very vintage. But I read somewhere that it would have been aired by Showtime instead of Netflix, so maybe netflix wasn't involved in the production.
Enfin back to the cloth itself!

tuna roll

Reaction score

tuna roll

Reaction score

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for thoughts about trousers. Anyone had anything made from Harrison's Sea Shell? Curious about the terylene. I quite liked this green for an odd summer jacket but not sure about the terylene.

View attachment 2239329

It looks good, but I will always avoid cloths with synthetic fibres. If you want linen, you also have to embrace the wrinkled look.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solbiati milled linen (or peached linen?) doesn’t wrinkle nearly as much as regular linen. I really like it. I’m sure it comes in some green shades.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Best,
Don’t get royal blue. I have a royal blue from I think Harrison’s (can’t remember exactly) and it’s really bright. When I chose it, I was at a trunk show in a hotel room and it didn’t look that bright. I did all the fittings in a hotel room so it was hard to tell how bright it really was.

When I got the final suit under natural light, it was much brighter than I thought.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t get royal blue. I have a royal blue from I think Harrison’s (can’t remember exactly) and it’s really bright. When I chose it, I was at a trunk show in a hotel room and it didn’t look that bright. I did all the fittings in a hotel room so it was hard to tell how bright it really was.

When I got the final suit under natural light, it was much brighter than I thought.

Same thing occurred to me with my first nice suit order where i picked the brighter navy from Drapers 5-star book since it was in cloudy day and in a hotel room. Always kicked myself for that rookie mistake...

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amartin