• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And yet, it was a different beast some decades ago. So there is wiggle room in quality.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And yet, it was a different beast some decades ago. So there is wiggle room in quality.

Fair, but I think some people have basically inferred that that declining quality in the cloth overall is due to root issues with woollen yarn available at the start of the process and not necessarily the manufacturing of the cloth itself.

hitsuji

Reaction score
Am I missing something? Fox, retail is 220£ / meter. LL is closer to 160-180£

But I haven’t purchased either in a while. Both are a tad expensive for me. I just had a chalk stripe made in a vintage Harrison’s, from back when fox made for Harrison’s. It’s great. It was my tailor’s stock though.

I’m sitting on an old Taylor & lodge lumbs golden bale gray chalk stripe. And I like the db so much, I’m thinking about having that made as a db (plan was sb), but we’ll see in the fall.

But, it’s truly a beautiful fabric with a great weight. Perhaps I should consider it. I thought about it on the initial drop.

But opted not to, my problem is I’d use the same tailor I already have a navy chalkstripe from - is there room for a second navy db chalkstripe?

View attachment 2153209

That Brown will make up amazingly

LJ1891

Reaction score
How do you plan on pairing this? That lighter blue screams spring for me.maybe it is the lighting.
I plan on pairing it with greys, beige/stones(im wearing beige cords in the picture), khaki/light browns, and navys.

The jacket itself is an ashy mid brown which makes it very versatile…in my wardrobe atleast.

Last edited:

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I plan on pairing it with greys, beige/stones(im wearing beige cords in the picture), khaki/light browns, and navys.

The jacket itself is an ashy mid brown which makes it very versatile…in my wardrobe atleast.
Makes sense with the cooler shades. Nice

L.deJong

Reaction score
Fair, but I think some people have basically inferred that that declining quality in the cloth overall is due to root issues with woollen yarn available at the start of the process and not necessarily the manufacturing of the cloth itself.
And probably also weight. I have an overcoat made from Harris tweed from the '60-'70's and it's much heavier. Also a little denser woven (but could also be because I compare a plain with a herringbone weave) and all in all feels beefier.
But both bag a little at the elbow and both are spongy and both don't wear that warm because of the openness of the weave. While the quality definitely will be less i do think my current Harris tweed will keep me going for a long while. And that Harris tweed character is the same.

Don't get me started on my vintage cashmere overcoat, made from at least a 1350gr cloth beefy as F and drapes like nothing made from cashmere today. To be honest it was definitely made for someone at least 10cm shorter than me. But I just cannot part with it. I don't wear it as often as I would like because it's black. But comes in handy when I have to attend funerals (which sadly is at least two times a year, and hopefully both times in fall/winter otherwise I have a problem, I do not own a dark grey summer suit). I definitely look way more like a gravedigger than the diggers themselves, they wear absolutely the worst fittings suits imaginable, while their profession is the easiest to look presentable in. Just wear a well fitted black suit and you are good. Same is true for preachers. Anyway back on topic.

camez_

Reaction score
a couple of new liabilities, summer trousering

POmWh.png

L.deJong

Reaction score
a couple of new liabilities, summer trousering

POmWh.png
You're at that stage, too many trousers so you can do whatever you feel like.
I envy you, I'm still building the foundation... the core so to speak. But doing so for more than 7 years already so I should have more than enough cream/stone/beige trousers... But as you know I ordered new ones again hahaha. To be fair the ones I have right now are beaten up and need replacement. But still, I would love to order that red and yellow one! No idea when I will wear them. Just so when I open the closet I see some colour haha.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Don't get me started on my vintage cashmere overcoat, made from at least a 1350gr cloth beefy as F and drapes like nothing made from cashmere today. To be honest it was definitely made for someone at least 10cm shorter than me. But I just cannot part with it. I don't wear it as often as I would like because it's black. But comes in handy when I have to attend funerals (which sadly is at least two times a year, and hopefully both times in fall/winter otherwise I have a problem, I do not own a dark grey summer suit). I definitely look way more like a gravedigger than the diggers themselves, they wear absolutely the worst fittings suits imaginable, while their profession is the easiest to look presentable in. Just wear a well fitted black suit and you are good. Same is true for preachers. Anyway back on topic.
Um…we need some pics of this pls k tx.

C&A

Reaction score
Just ordered the double chalk stripe fox flannel - maybe some of you want to order it as well

Wow, that’s a pretty useless weight for modern offices. Ideal for cosplay though, both in weight and designwise. No wonder they are only making a few meters. Limited, lol.

But please keep us posted once you have it made up👍

Smarter_than_Casual

Reaction score
Hello!
I recently saw this fabric at the Anthology. A lovely dark olive/almost brown corduroy. Now, I am personally not a huge fan of cord (unpopular here, I know) but would love to find something similar in either a woolen or a brushed cotton.
Do you guys perhaps have any suggestions?

1711437303290.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads