• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tmsgks

Reaction score
Which sartoria? Interesting cloth indeed.

"Sartoria Lauro".
Couldn't find any piece of information on this.

I suppose it was one of the hundreds of tailor shops that existed here in italy in the 60s and 70s, and had to shut down 20 or so years ago.
Screenshot_20231210_120151.jpg

Last edited:

corpseposeur

Reaction score
Any recommendations on corduroy bunches made of 100% cotton?

Holland and Sherry used to have a nice collection of very lush cords at 22oz in very rich colors, but they seem to have discontinued most those.

Caccioppoli has a couple of decent swatches.

The Brisbane Moss cords I've tried have tended to be on the more robust country style and feel sturdy but less luxurious but maybe they have some others?

JHWilliams

Reaction score
I got to see Harrison’s Universal in the flesh, and compare it to Dugdale’s English Classics (14 oz.) The Dugdale is more refined, but it’s not like the Universal is a potato sack. And while there probably isn’t much functional difference between the 14 oz. Dugdale and the 16 oz. Universal, there is an 18 oz. Universal navy twill that I’m really curious to see how it looks made up.
Universal is an eclectic bunch. Some are less refined than others. This is the 20 ounce navy made up along with the 18/19 ounce charcoal which is much more soft to the touch. The navy is a bit too rough in the handle for me, but I still enjoy wearing the suit.

Dugdale English & Town Classics has a comparable handle to the universal bunch.

Attachments

• IMG_4104.jpeg
    IMG_4104.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4103.jpeg
    IMG_4103.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 113

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
Universal is an eclectic bunch. Some are less refined than others. This is the 20 ounce navy made up along with the 18/19 ounce charcoal which is much more soft to the touch. The navy is a bit too rough in the handle for me, but I still enjoy wearing the suit.

Interesting. The charcoal looks almost like a worsted flannel.

oldworldelegance

Reaction score

Holland and Sherry used to have a nice collection of very lush cords at 22oz in very rich colors, but they seem to have discontinued most those.

The Brisbane Moss cords I've tried have tended to be on the more robust country style and feel sturdy but less luxurious but maybe they have some others?

Brisbane Moss has many different bunches. I find some of them perfectly soft. I do have a some trousers in their heaviest cord and it’s nice and soft, if that’s what you want.

Other options are:
- Bateman & Ogden
- Scabal (both pure cotton and cashmere cotton)
- Minnis

corpseposeur

Reaction score

I have trousers in Universal and a suit in the Dugdale's English & Town classics.

The Universal is sturdy stuff at around 18oz and has a very matte flannel like finish which I really like.

I would agree the Dugdale's is more "refined" and a bit more versatile at 14oz. but also with a lot of body. I like them both for their characteristics.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
I have trousers in Universal and a suit in the Dugdale's English & Town classics.

The Universal is sturdy stuff at around 18oz and has a very matte flannel like finish which I really like.

I would agree the Dugdale's is more "refined" and a bit more versatile at 14oz. but also with a lot of body. I like them both for their characteristics.
There are also quite a few in the 15/16 ounce range in the Universal Bunch. I find the finishing to be very comparable to the town & classics bunch

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dugdale West Riding

habstyle

Reaction score
I’m looking to get a lighter navy color sport coat, but was drawn to some fabrics that might be more oriented for a suit (though I think they can still work with some additional detailing for an odd jacket). Something like this Ascot 4-ply wool https://drapersitaly.it/by-en/collection/18041/

Would this work for a sport coat or look to “suity” in your view?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads