• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to get a lighter navy color sport coat, but was drawn to some fabrics that might be more oriented for a suit (though I think they can still work with some additional detailing for an odd jacket). Something like this Ascot 4-ply wool https://drapersitaly.it/by-en/collection/18041/

Would this work for a sport coat or look to “suity” in your view?

IMO the 4-ply is too 'suity', however I think the 6-ply can work as a stand alone jacket.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to get a lighter navy color sport coat, but was drawn to some fabrics that might be more oriented for a suit (though I think they can still work with some additional detailing for an odd jacket). Something like this Ascot 4-ply wool https://drapersitaly.it/by-en/collection/18041/

Would this work for a sport coat or look to “suity” in your view?
IMO the 4-ply is too 'suity', however I think the 6-ply can work as a stand alone jacket.
+1. I love 4 ply but it’s definitely suity. If you’re after a glencheck or pow I think there might be one with more texture in one of the Fresco bunches. Maybe Australis Jackets from LP if you’re after a pure wool. The Bamboo and Carlo Barbera bunches from HFW might have some options as well.

Rowqk777

Reaction score
Hi all, I just wanted to ask for opinions on cloth recommendations - recently had a single breasted suit made in Ascot 4 ply navy - wears and drapes beautifully. Naturally wanted to use the Ascot 4 ply in a dark grey for a DB suit 6 x 2, but tailor advised against it as the “4 ply wouldnt carry the DB suit well” - his suggestions were dugdale new fine worsted dark grey, dugdale tropical air, harrisons frontier and standeven dark grey.

I really like how the ascot 4 ply feels and when I asked him for the dark grey version he really avoided it - and provided me with only these suggestions? Are they viable options granted it will be a full canvas and half lined suit - or perhaps he is trying to push me into the fabrics with greatest profit margin?

Please let me know your suggestions!
Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0842.png
    IMG_0842.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0841.jpeg
    IMG_0841.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0840.png
    IMG_0840.png
    348.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0837.jpeg
    IMG_0837.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 99

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just wanted to ask for opinions on cloth recommendations - recently had a single breasted suit made in Ascot 4 ply navy - wears and drapes beautifully. Naturally wanted to use the Ascot 4 ply in a dark grey for a DB suit 6 x 2, but tailor advised against it as the “4 ply wouldnt carry the DB suit well” - his suggestions were dugdale new fine worsted dark grey, dugdale tropical air, harrisons frontier and standeven dark grey.

I really like how the ascot 4 ply feels and when I asked him for the dark grey version he really avoided it - and provided me with only these suggestions? Are they viable options granted it will be a full canvas and half lined suit - or perhaps he is trying to push me into the fabrics with greatest profit margin?

Please let me know your suggestions!
Many thanks

To be honest, I don’t really understand the logic here with maybe the fact being that fresco-style fabrics are slightly less formal. (But then, tropicalair I think is the same thing…)

Ask him how he feels about Finmeresco, fairly sure it’s almost identical to 4-ply

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
perhaps he is trying to push me into the fabrics with greatest profit margin

Ask him about fox air.

I’m going to be the one here who says it. I’m not sure I like drapers ascot for anything but trousers or as a fall / spring suit. Especially the 4 ply. I just find it really heavy and hot.

For a jacket, I think a mock Leno or hopsack is better. For a suit, I’d try the 2ply, fox air or, and I’m not sure I should be plugging it because I like the fabric & wonder if I should keep it for myself, I have a Taylor & lodge mohair wool blend I just listed on buy & sell

PSNY

Reaction score
Anyone know of any Mills offering similar fabrics to the one Simon got from Anglo Italian for Ciardi to make him a jacket? I've seen similar from VBC, but nothing quite like it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• anglo-italian-cloth-quality-1000x1250.jpg
    anglo-italian-cloth-quality-1000x1250.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 167
  • checked-brown-jacket-style-1000x1250.jpg
    checked-brown-jacket-style-1000x1250.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 181

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any Mills offering similar fabrics to the one Simon got from Anglo Italian for Ciardi to make him a jacket? I've seen similar from VBC, but nothing quite like it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I think Anglo-Italian sells their cloth directly...

Worsted Alsport II #50076 is pretty similar but with a blue overcheck in there as well...

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different quality since that one was a wool/cotton/poly I think but Lovat and Marling Evans both have similar in pure wool.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would choose this or any similar mohair/wool blend over Drapers 4-ply any day of the week.
Agreed, I think drapers 4 ply is a great fabric, but it’s not a summer fabric. It’s a Florida winter fabric, or throw on a coat.

I think fox air performs a little bit better but I think the mohair blends is a better bet during the summer. It *could* work in the summer in a pinch but it’s definitely on the warm side.

For example, I’m wearing drapers ascot today but, *checks month*, it’s December.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gwendolytriegel