• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Umbrella: Cheap out or get something stylish and/or expensive?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know that just because you are wearing a rain coat or carrying an umbrella due to weather doesn't mean it will constantly be raining. If you are on this forum, why wouldn't you want something well-made and attractive?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Who really needs to look good in the rain? It's raining. No one gives a **** about your style. Just cheap out and get something for $20.
Style covers every aspect of your life. If it's absent from one part, you don't really have it.

Besides, are you buying it for others to see ... or are you buying it for yourself to appreciate?

Doc4

Reaction score
How much did you spend on your wristwatch? (Your most expensive one, if you have more than one ...)

If you have a $50 Timex, you should buy a cheap folding umbrella.

If you have a $500 Seiko, you should buy a good and inexpensive full-size umbrella.

If you have a Swiss watch you should buy a SA Brigg.

... in any case, you will stay pretty dry and know fairly well what time it is.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
How much did you spend on your wristwatch? (Your most expensive one, if you have more than one ...)

If you have a $500 Seiko, you should buy a good and inexpensive full-size umbrella.

Do you suggest one umbrella per watch? Say I have fifteen Swiss watches ... do I buy 15 SAB umbrellas?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Style covers every aspect of your life. If it's absent from one part, you don't really have it. Besides, are you buying it for others to see ... or are you buying it for yourself to appreciate?
Some people are selective about what they buy, and know how to discern value from hype. Some people live in gated communities, wear nice clothing, and have top notch educations, yet drive economy cars. No style, you say? Meanwhile, some people drive BMW's and live in a trailer park. I am buying it for both. While I don't mind a nice umbrella, if no one else existed, I doubt I'd really give a ****. I'd be much more concerned with more interesting matters than a stupid umbrella.
How much did you spend on your wristwatch? (Your most expensive one, if you have more than one ...) If you have a $50 Timex, you should buy a cheap folding umbrella. If you have a $500 Seiko, you should buy a good and inexpensive full-size umbrella. If you have a Swiss watch you should buy a SA Brigg. .
Disagree. A $50 Timex is just as stylish as a $500 Sekio or a $5000 Rolex. They are look identical from 3 feet away, and certainly from across a table. Watches serve one main purpose: logo flaunting consumption.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Disagree.
A $50 Timex is just as stylish as a $500 Sekio or a $5000 Rolex.
They are look identical from 3 feet away, and certainly from across a table.
Watches serve one main purpose: logo flaunting consumption.

But open the watch, and they are quite different. I assure you.

While I don't mind a nice umbrella, if no one else existed, I doubt I'd really give a ****.
So what you are saying is that you don't mind a nice umbrella and you wouldn't give a **** if no one else existed? These are mutually exclusive.

I imagine that you mean something else ... but it would be nice if you could articulate what you really mean.

jstupple19

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
But open the watch, and they are quite different. I assure you.

So what you are saying is that you don't mind a nice umbrella and you wouldn't give a **** if no one else existed? These are mutually exclusive.

Yes, but how often do you flaunt the inner workings of your watch to others? How often, in a downpour, does someone poke their head under your umbrella to check the brand or quality. Some items of a man's repertoire are best left subtle and understated, and in the case of umbrellas, a plain black canopy stick from the corner store looks just the same to one from a boutique to those outside it.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Disagree.
Watches serve one main purpose: logo flaunting consumption.

You should buy a cheap umbrella

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jstupple19
Yes, but how often do you flaunt the inner workings of your watch to others? How often, in a downpour, does someone poke their head under your umbrella to check the brand or quality. Some items of a man's repertoire are best left subtle and understated, and in the case of umbrellas, a plain black canopy stick from the corner store looks just the same to one from a boutique to those outside it.

So it's really all about the perception of others. It's about what other see or believe they are seeing. It's about showing off.

That my friend is not style ... that's just tacky ... it's style without content ... without real substance.

As for subtle and understated ... they have little to do with expense. Understated & subtle can come in all price ranges ... as can garish.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a totes umbrella. It folds down small enough to fit in my bag and it opens itself automatically.

It is made partially out of titanium and the outer segment of the spines that go to the edges of the canopy are made out of fiberglass so they can flex all around without breaking or bending.

I think it cost $20 max at nordstrom rack...it looks like any other black umbrella (except the handle is a little ugly...my old umbrella had a wooden handle which looked nicer). If I lose it, its not a big deal and so far it has done a fabulous job of not breaking.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

... in any case, you will stay pretty dry and know fairly well what time it is.

Uh-oh, I have a SAB umbrella and a Seiko. Looks like one will have to go!

Had your eyes checked lately?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up one from forum affiliate Howard Yount, and one of the better aspects of having a nice umbrella is the joy to use it. The scuffs on the wood from when I have bumped it against other surfaces, the sound of the rain against the canopy, and all the other little details make carrying an umbrella not a chore, but rather an experience. It is the same way you feel after walking around in your favorite shoes the whole day, and admiring the ways in which they have creased, or have held their shine.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
So it's really all about the perception of others. It's about what other see or believe they are seeing. It's about showing off. That my friend is not style ... that's just tacky ... it's style without content ... without real substance. As for subtle and understated ... they have little to do with expense. Understated & subtle can come in all price ranges ... as can garish.
Hate to burst your bubble, but it's a known fact that expensive watches keep less accurate time and are more prone to breaking than cheap watches. So, you're not getting a superior product, despite your insistence. Yes, it categorically functions worse than a Timex, despite paying 10x more. Therefore, your luxury watch has one purpose, I'm sorry to tell you, and that is trying to tackily show off how much you spent on a watch.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hate to burst your bubble, but it's a known fact that expensive watches keep less accurate time and are more prone to breaking than cheap watches.
Actually this has nothing to do with expense ... it's the function of mechanical vs. quartz. It is NOT news.

Therefore, your luxury watch has one purpose, I'm sorry to tell you, and that is trying to tackily show off how much you spent on a watch.
Your current point is true only if you dress to impress others. That said, I imagine that many do this -- perhaps you included -- but certainly not all.

Zach

Reaction score
I feel like a broken record (largely because they're close and reasonably priced), but BB has a decent umbrella (the Doorman's Umbrella) that has good coverage if you're looking for a larger one. Some of their standard sized umbrellas felt a bit cheap, but this bigger one has held up well to a lot of rain. Cost was $45 on sale and I'd say it was worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads