• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turntables

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about building myself a pretty inexpensive little set up with a Rega turntable and some Paradigm speakers with some really good cables. Do I need a preamp? Or just an amp? Any recommendations?

I'd like to get into vinyl, but I want to spend as little as possible cuz I'm not exactly loaded.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Modernist
Same here. A lightly used one plus a Dennon moving coil cartridge (103 or a high output like the 160) and the result is a cheap, decent system that will probably outlive you.

Of course there are audible improvements with more expensive equipment, but I'm not convinced that they are worth the extra money. And there are other considerations. For instance, of course you wouldn't play a VG+ with a $500 stylus, but what if that is one of your old time favourite records and you've bought that when it was first released? You're not going to be listening to it in order to protect the stylus? Will your setup be in an accoustically appropriate room? Will you be sitting properly?

And, unfortunately, I've met a fair number of collectors and audiophiliacs who don't listen to music anymore but to sound quality.

The problem with the 1200 is that you are paying good money for features which have nothing to do with sound quality. It is a solid product (I have 2) but it isn't a good choice for home listening. You are better off getting a cheaper table and spending the extra cash on the cart.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
The problem with the 1200 is that you are paying good money for features which have nothing to do with sound quality. It is a solid product (I have 2) but it isn't a good choice for home listening. You are better off getting a cheaper table and spending the extra cash on the cart.

Very true. Best to get a Rega P1 or a used P3. Great sound for the money.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
I'm thinking about building myself a pretty inexpensive little set up with a Rega turntable and some Paradigm speakers with some really good cables. Do I need a preamp? Or just an amp? Any recommendations?

I'd like to get into vinyl, but I want to spend as little as possible cuz I'm not exactly loaded.

You won't regret it, Lance. The Rega 3 is a great choice as it comes with a very fine arm. Get the best cart you can afford.

PM me if you want some other specific recommendations.

Cheers, a

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads