• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tracking down matching pants

gsxrlawyer

Reaction score
I have an orphaned suit jacket that I want to pair up with matching pants for a full suit. i've been having a hard time finding a decent navy suit in my size at my price range so I figured I'd pair up the odd jacket that fit me so well off the rack. According to the tag, the suit jacket is a Hickey Freeman for Nordstroms. My google search skills must be lacking because I couldn't come up with anything useful. I figured the gurus at styleforum can help.

Nordstrom 012 Anchorage.
Cst# 0-6000-012.
Lot 001304703.
96548 P

9/05/06

K104 K837
36S 30S

If anyone can help by pointing me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.
worship.gif

SuitMyself

Reaction score
It is not possible to pair of so-called matching pants with an orphaned suit jacket to make it into a full suit. It is impossible. It cannot be done. You should just buy a new suit.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
send the jacket to hickey. they do keep end pieces of woolens. if they have a match they will make up a pair for you.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
send the jacket to hickey. they do keep end pieces of woolens. if they have a match they will make up a pair for you.

gsxrlawyer states he wants to keep things within his price range although he doesn't state explicitly what the price range is. No doubt the cost of Hickey Freeman making a pair of pants for him will run him the same amount of money as what he paid for said jacket (whatever that might be).

Furthermore, does HF actually own their own manufacturing facilities? I'm only asking this simply because I do not know. Perhaps HF commissions a third-party manufacturing facility to make their suits and jackets and pants for them. If HF can indeed make a pair of pants in this same swatch for gsxrlawyer, then the price would be about the same as a pair of made-to-measure pants from any high-end retail store or bespoke tailor. If this is indeed the case, then these pants will run him about $300 at the very least.

So, the question now is, How much is gsxrlawyer willing or able to spend on a pair of matching HF pants in the same swatch?

Originally Posted by gsxrlawyer
I have an orphaned suit jacket that I want to pair up with matching pants for a full suit. i've been having a hard time finding a decent navy suit in my size at my price range so I figured I'd pair up the odd jacket that fit me so well off the rack. According to the tag, the suit jacket is a Hickey Freeman for Nordstroms. My google search skills must be lacking because I couldn't come up with anything useful. I figured the gurus at styleforum can help.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
does HF actually own their own manufacturing facilities?
Yes, for over a century. And if (big if) they could find the material the pants would probably run in the range of $300-400.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Yes, for over a century. And if (big if) they could find the material the pants would probably run in the range of $300-400.

Thanks, Tomasso.

Now, back to gsxrlawyer: what is your price range?

gsxrlawyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Thanks, Tomasso. Now, back to gsxrlawyer: what is your price range?
Thanks for the replies. My price range for a full suit would be ~$500. I knew it would be a very difficult task to find the pants to go with the jacket. I figured my best chance was to ask here. I had originally bought the jacket at place that got stuff handed down from Nordstrom Rack (so almost an outlet of an outlet). The matching pants were in horrible condition with major rips and tears, but the jacket was in perfect condition. I just bought the jacket because it fit so well and I figured I could use it as a blazer - and they let me have the jacket for like $65. I figured it would be awesome if I could somehow track down the matching pants and get a full suit for a nice price, considering I'm a poor student.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gsxrlawyer

they let me have the jacket for like $65. I figured it would be awesome if I could somehow track down the matching pants and get a full suit for a nice price, considering I'm a poor student.

Oh. I thought you were a lawyer.

gsxrlawyer

Reaction score
Close. I'm graduating in May. Unfortunately, nothing lined up like a lot of ppl. A good offer disappeared because of the economy. Fortunately, I have some interviews lined up so I am looking to land on my feet. Hence the want for the navy blue interview suit.

I can go with the charcoal suit I have, but I like the idea of having a navy blue in my rotation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads