• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tough Proportions to Fit

Towers

Reaction score
I have one of those bodies where finding clothes that actually fit me that it is extremely difficult.

For instance; I usually wear a 40R through the chest and waist, but fit ~19.5" across the shoulders, so jackets tend to be loose in the body if I size up to fit my shoulders, or really tight through the shoulders if i fit to my chest. I have a 16.5" neck, but a slimmer chest, waist and arms so shirts, even a lot of the MTM shirts I've tried (Maxwell's, justwhiteshirts.com, etc.) tend to fit like Seinfeld-esque pirate shirts through the sleeves and body. And I have a condition known as 'hockey thighs and ass' from years spent at the arena which means that pants have a tendency to fit tight up top, but loose at the ankle.

I know I can't be the only one with this issue, so I'm asking what other people with difficult proportions do. How much can you expect a tailor to be able to take out of a jacket? How many of your dress shirts are ruined because the person doing your alterations thought the pin-and-sew method was best? How many of your pants are loose through the waist but tight through the thighs and back to loose again in the ankles?

What are your suggestions?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try different brands. Avoid brands cut with slim shoulders.

Get pants that fit in the butt and aren't cut slim. Have the waist taken in.

Look for shirts cut athletic and not slim.

Other then that consider finding a tailor who can make things that actually fit you. Online isn't likely the best choice.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, you have enormous shoulders and normal size everything else? Sorry, no one makes anything that fits that body.

If you mean athletic though, there are many makers. Not for suits though. Well, maybe H&M. Depends on how fit you are and proportions.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made to measure. Try mytailor.com for starters.

ktrp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr.Demento
Wait until you grow up and your bones develop into a manly size before buying a suit.
And stay away from buying "monkey suits" with sleeves that are too short and those stupid looking high armholes that make you look like you belong in the film, Saturday Night Fever
lol8[1].gif

Links to OTR suits with stupid high armholes plzthx.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads