• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top 14 list of shoes under $500 for newbies

BespokeAldenGuy

Reaction score
If Mr. Hajjar was still CFO, Alden would make this under $500 list for me.

My bespoke last was a heavily modified modified last. Think something like a plaza last toe shape, but with the anatomical fit of a modified last.

Too bad they couldn't make anything +10 spi at the factory. Also had to make sure it was a specific old timer that was making my shoes so it would at least look as good as other brand's factory second shoes.

Now I can only buy rtw Aldens. No more connexion with the higher ups of Alden.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Mr. Hajjar was still CFO, Alden would make this under $500 list for me.

My bespoke last was a heavily modified modified last. Think something like a plaza last toe shape, but with the anatomical fit of a modified last.

Too bad they couldn't make anything +10 spi at the factory. Also had to make sure it was a specific old timer that was making my shoes so it would at least look as good as other brand's factory second shoes.

Now I can only buy rtw Aldens. No more connexion with the higher ups of Alden.

Huh?!

I'm confident one of the brands on this list would work or just continue buying Aldens (hard to find firsts discounted).
If those on the list do not fit, a MTM maker or a Bespoke maker perhaps?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comparing retailers carrying something at a price you can get any day of the week to a consignment store auction on eBay that may have some stock every once in a while makes no sense. So no, it isn’t.

What are you talking about? I could go to 3 stores today within 5 miles of me and buy Alden. View attachment 1778748

Many Alden models work on a gtmo model or require building time in the order of months. Not all. But even at the Madison ave store, you frequently have to order in advance.

Re: consignment store. It doesn't seem to me to be at all relevant. Here's a store offering this at this price. The manufacturer says different. The price from the manufacturer details what the price for the shoe is on a brand level, even if there is some contingent fact that cavour does this.

BespokeAldenGuy

Reaction score
Huh?!

I'm confident one of the brands on this list would work or just continue buying Aldens (hard to find firsts discounted).
If those on the list do not fit, a MTM maker or a Bespoke maker perhaps?
Alden was my Bespoke maker good sir. Killed off by the ex CFO. You seem very knowledgeable about bespoke makers. How are the Japanese? They are more to my taste.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many Alden models work on a gtmo model or require building time in the order of months. Not all. But even at the Madison ave store, you frequently have to order in advance.

Re: consignment store. It doesn't seem to me to be at all relevant. Here's a store offering this at this price. The manufacturer says different. The price from the manufacturer details what the price for the shoe is on a brand level, even if there is some contingent fact that cavour does this.

I probably misunderstood what you were saying but did you basically say that Cavour = grey market?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhat of an odd list as the number of shoes coming in under this amount probably account for 80% of the RTW market.

I mean, what’s left? Alden in the US. EG, JL, Crockett & Jones and a few other Brits and a few Italian brands.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

8D75EDB8-90A2-4CE1-9886-B7C6A75E6EAA.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member