• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top 14 list of shoes under $500 for newbies

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forum affiliates are awesome. https://cavour.co/en/product/6195/harvard-suede-city-sole

Buying from a separate business doesn't change the advertised price of the product from the maker. Same with sale prices.

I can find Edward Greens from Luxe Swap for 10 dollar nr auction starter price nwb.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying from a separate business doesn't change the advertised price of the product from the maker. Same with sale prices.

I can find Edward Greens from Luxe Swap for 10 dollar nr auction starter price nwb.

Wait so are you suggesting that an interested customer shouldn't just purchase the shoes at a lower price from a retailer? You can easily find the shoes from a verified retailer for a lower price than what CJ's advertised prices are.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

maybe some miscommunication, you can also buy from UK retailer (pediwear/Robert old/Bodileys) because you’re in the US they will ship to you ex VAT. It’s not a sale it’s an always available (until CJ decide to be like global luxury brand and force global pricing, which luckily they hasn’t)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe some miscommunication, you can also buy from UK retailer (pediwear/Robert old/Bodileys) because you’re in the US they will ship to you ex VAT. It’s not a sale it’s an always available (until CJ decide to be like global luxury brand and force global pricing, which luckily they hasn’t)

This is primarily the reason why CJ was included on this list. Yes, you can find the shoes discounted but you can also find them under the $500 threshold from a recognized retailer without a discount.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait so are you suggesting that an interested customer shouldn't just purchase the shoes at a lower price from a retailer? You can easily find the shoes from a verified retailer for a lower price than what CJ's advertised prices are.

No, not at all. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy at the lowest price, I'm saying that isnt the legitimate manufacturer's price. That's Cavour's price.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, not at all. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy at the lowest price, I'm saying that isnt the legitimate manufacturer's price. That's Cavour's price.

I agree that the manufacturer's price is the actual price of the shoes, which would take them over the self-imposed $500 threshold. That said when comparing other shoes priced similarly over the threshold, CJs seemed readily available under the $500 px through retailers.

Interestingly enough and comparatively, Alden aren't as easy to find at discounted prices. You'd have to wait for some holiday or secret sales which are sporadic.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that the manufacturer's price is the actual price of the shoes, which would take them over the self-imposed $500 threshold. That said when comparing other shoes priced similarly over the threshold, CJs seemed readily available under the $500 px through retailers.

Interestingly enough and comparatively, Alden aren't as easy to find at discounted prices. You'd have to wait for some holiday or secret sales which are sporadic.

Yeah, Alden basically never goes on sale as far as I am aware, or goes on sale for like 10% once a year.

That being said, CJ and EG both have pretty mediocre sales, too.

I guess the difference is that Alden is more or less direct-to-consumer because it seems the majority of them are MTO.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Alden basically never goes on sale as far as I am aware, or goes on sale for like 10% once a year.

That being said, CJ and EG both have pretty mediocre sales, too.

That once a year sale is why Alden had to be removed from consideration.

EG, even on sale, wouldn't be near this kind of list. Shame they are so expensive. EG is easily my favorite English maker.

The CJ handgrade stuff is rather tricky to find on sale. Mainline is considerably easier.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That once a year sale is why Alden had to be removed from consideration.

EG, even on sale, wouldn't be near this kind of list. Shame they are so expensive. EG is easily my favorite English maker.

The CJ handgrade stuff is rather tricky to find on sale. Mainline is considerably easier.

The handgrade stuff was available in their January sale, but it's pretty much "whatever we're not making anymore, we'll put on sale at like, 20% discount at our stores". I didn't think it was that worthwhile of a sale for styles I wasn't personally that intrigued by.

That being said, I love CJ and I think they are a good deal, I just think it is somewhat odd to have them listed as "under 500".

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The handgrade stuff was available in their January sale, but it's pretty much "whatever we're not making anymore, we'll put on sale at like, 20% discount at our stores". I didn't think it was that worthwhile of a sale for styles I wasn't personally that intrigued by.

That being said, I love CJ and I think they are a good deal, I just think it is somewhat odd to have them listed as "under 500".

As mentioned, that company as well as Union Imperial were borderline.

CJ because you have to purchase through an exterior retailer and UI because of the "language barrier". With UI, the customer has to translate their page, but then it becomes straight forward to order. Hard to argue against another HW shoe under $500 (Prestige line) that's made in Japan.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, that company as well as Union Imperial were borderline.

CJ because you have to purchase through an exterior retailer and UI because of the "language barrier". With UI, the customer has to translate their page, but then it becomes straight forward to order. Hard to argue against another HW shoe under $500 (Prestige line) that's made in Japan.

Yeah, that was a brand new one for me. I never even heard of them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads