• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie color and purchase advice for black tie optional

HelpMyStyle

Reaction score
Help appreciated - I will be attending a black tie optional event at a university later this month. I do not own a tuxedo, and rental tuxedos tend to not fit my body shape and look really bad. I do have a nicely fitted, very dark charcoal suit which I understand should work based on some online articles. I'll pair this with a classic white dress shirt and black Allen Edmond Rutledge captoe shoes.

I am at a loss for what color of silk tie to purchase. I've seen recommendations of black, but since my suit is so dark grey (could almost be mistaken for black) I worry it might clash. I've also heard not to wear a black tie to black tie optional unless going for the full tux. I am thinking about dark navy, dark purple or plum - what do you all think?

The other thing, given this is a university - I wonder if breaking the typical BTO rules and going for a university color might possibly be expected

I'll take any advice on color and where I might could order at a reasonable price.

papado

Reaction score
Help appreciated - I will be attending a black tie optional event at a university later this month. I do not own a tuxedo, and rental tuxedos tend to not fit my body shape and look really bad. I do have a nicely fitted, very dark charcoal suit which I understand should work based on some online articles. I'll pair this with a classic white dress shirt and black Allen Edmond Rutledge captoe shoes.

I am at a loss for what color of silk tie to purchase. I've seen recommendations of black, but since my suit is so dark grey (could almost be mistaken for black) I worry it might clash. I've also heard not to wear a black tie to black tie optional unless going for the full tux. I am thinking about dark navy, dark purple or plum - what do you all think?

The other thing, given this is a university - I wonder if breaking the typical BTO rules and going for a university color might possibly be expected

I'll take any advice on color and where I might could order at a reasonable price.

I believe for BTO if you're going with a charcoal suit you just need to choose a formal tie--if you have any solid grenadines in a navy or black that could work, otherwise if you have any ties with minimal design and a more somber color scheme that would work (think navy, burgundy, etc). Do you already have anything that would fit the bill?

HelpMyStyle

Reaction score
I believe for BTO if you're going with a charcoal suit you just need to choose a formal tie--if you have any solid grenadines in a navy or black that could work, otherwise if you have any ties with minimal design and a more somber color scheme that would work (think navy, burgundy, etc). Do you already have anything that would fit the bill?
Hey there, thank you for the quick reply. I'll be honest, my suit and tie days are generally limited to work meetings where it is acceptable and expected to wear school themed ties. Everything I own is in bright school colors and far from formal. I wouldn't mind owning a nicer more formal tie and it could come in handy for non work related events in the future. I am just lost on what exactly is expected with the BTO code. Would a blue/navy tie work ok with a grey suit? I've been strongly considering a darker purple as purple (all be it usually a few shades lighted) is one of the school colors. A nice solid purple might check the box of formal while still recognizing the university event?

If it helps, the suit below is what I am working with. It's sold as charcoal, but it is very dark even in the charcoal spectrum.

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 5.37.27 PM.png

Is this too much of a pattern to be considered formal?
Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 5.49.58 PM.png

Last edited:

papado

Reaction score
Hey there, thank you for the quick reply. I'll be honest, my suit and tie days are generally limited to work meetings where it is acceptable and expected to wear school themed ties. Everything I own is in bright school colors and far from formal. I wouldn't mind owning a nicer more formal tie and it could come in handy for non work related events in the future. I am just lost on what exactly is expected with the BTO code. Would a blue/navy tie work ok with a grey suit? I've been strongly considering a darker purple as purple (all be it usually a few shades lighted) is one of the school colors. A nice solid purple might check the box of formal while still recognizing the university event?

If it helps, the suit below is what I am working with. It's sold as charcoal, but it is very dark even in the charcoal spectrum.

Is this too much of a pattern to be considered formal?

You could do a dark purple tie given it's one of your University colors--the paisley one you reference probably could work. Unless you're at a very upper-crust university I don't think too many people will know all the fine details of BT/BTO so even if it's a little less formal than ideal you'll do fine.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear that tie to a BTO event.

A grenadine navy or burgundy tie is really your best bet. Garza Fina probably most appropriate but Grossa if you want to be really aggro.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pablobob