• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Parboil before you cook the ham to get rid of the excess salt.

Every year we get a country smoked ham from an old school german butcher. Its awesome. I also despise honey ham. I cant do sweet with my salty ham.

Hmm. Next time I'm at Momofuku I'll try some ham. David Chang seems to have a huge ham fetish. The last time I tried one of those Benton's hams at a restaurant it was unbearably salty.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmm. Next time I'm at Momofuku I'll try some ham. David Chang seems to have a huge ham fetish. The last time I tried one of those Benton's hams at a restaurant it was unbearably salty.

I've had a few too-salty hams over the years, and I agree that they are no good.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Momofuku? Momofuku too!!

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apparently in Texas, it's sacrilege to put tomatoes in chili, but totally fine to put ketchup* on your BBQ.

(* Technically, ketchup-based sauce.)

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know what the hell kind of thanksgiving you're having, but a Real American Thanksgiving is about lumpy mashed potatoes, dry turkey, and french fried onions. Good food is not to be found there.

Thanksgiving tends to highlight those who cannot cook spaghetti much less turkey, pumpkin pie etc.

I've been making Thanksgiving dinners better than your grandmother's since I was in college…. and partially as I result, I don't get people who cannot cook. You need to feed yourself and although I guess it's possible, eating out 100% of the time is just not desirable or practical IMO.

I don't even want to know why "Real" is capitalized but whatever it is I'm sure there's a plan to make your turkey great … again.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanksgiving tends to highlight those who cannot cook spaghetti much less turkey, pumpkin pie etc.

I've been making Thanksgiving dinners better than your grandmother's since I was in college…. and partially as I result, I don't get people who cannot cook. You need to feed yourself and although I guess it's possible, eating out 100% of the time is just not desirable or practical IMO.

I don't even want to know why "Real" is capitalized but whatever it is I'm sure there's a plan to make your turkey great … again.

It's weird how many people treat cooking turkey like it's some kind of magic ritual instead of a rational process. My in-laws will not use a leave-in thermometer. Grandma went by time and so by God they're going to go by time.

Maybe I should be happy, at least the timing approach gives some possibility of edible food. These are the same people who cooked a prime rib and put it back in to cook "because it was still pink." The horror.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
It's weird how many people treat cooking turkey like it's some kind of magic ritual instead of a rational process. My in-laws will not use a leave-in thermometer. Grandma went by time and so by God they're going to go by time.

Maybe I should be happy, at least the timing approach gives some possibility of edible food. These are the same people who cooked a prime rib and put it back in to cook "because it was still pink." The horror.

I don't use a leave-in thermometer. I know roughly how long it will take, so I poke it a few times as the time draws near. =/

Turkey turned out delicious as did everything else, except I didn't make enough gravy or carrots this year.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They ought to use a leave-in, because they're super paranoid and pull the bird out a million times. And still overcook it.

They've also got one of those super old-fashioned thermometers that takes like a full minute to register, so everything is cooling down while it's registering. Drives me nuts, but I'm not going to burn a bunch of in-law points fighting that battle.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My family is notorious for overcooked, shredded turkey. My uncle cannot carve the thing for the life of him. Of course he has cheap, dull knives and is too stubborn for an electric knife. It's become a running joke in the family. That and the fact that no one can slice a pie evenly.

People are bad at cooking for the same reason they're bad at anything else... they won't make any effort to improve.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads