• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

People are bad at cooking for the same reason they're bad at anything else... they won't make any effort to improve.

I think that's generally true, but Thanksgiving gets this extra layer of nostalgia and mythology over it. Most people only cook a turkey once a year and it's at Thanksgiving. It turns into a whole thing.

I cooked one this year for friends. Spatchcocked it and did a dry bine. It was fantastic. Eight of us ate every scrap of a 15 pound bird.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think that's generally true, but Thanksgiving gets this extra layer of nostalgia and mythology over it. Most people only cook a turkey once a year and it's at Thanksgiving. It turns into a whole thing.

I cooked one this year for friends. Spatchcocked it and did a dry bine. It was fantastic. Eight of us ate every scrap of a 15 pound bird.

o i bet the brine became wet after said spatchcocking

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
A brine of some sort is really a buffer against all kinds of errors.

My mother is one of the worst cooks I've ever come across. Her turkey was always dry as a popcorn fart. She would also cook a roast so much the entire thing would be like shoe leather and even the deepest interior would be a dark grey. For hamburgers, she'd first buy that ultra lean flavorless stuff, then place them in the oven on a backing rack so any residual flavour could drip out. Chickens? Would remove the skin, sprinkle a little (and I mean little) paprika on it, and bake the **** out of it.

Seriously a horrible cook.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A brine of some sort is really a buffer against all kinds of errors.

My mother is one of the worst cooks I've ever come across. Her turkey was always dry as a popcorn fart. She would also cook a roast so much the entire thing would be like shoe leather and even the deepest interior would be a dark grey. For hamburgers, she'd first buy that ultra lean flavorless stuff, then place them in the oven on a backing rack so any residual flavour could drip out. Chickens? Would remove the skin, sprinkle a little (and I mean little) paprika on it, and bake the **** out of it.

Seriously a horrible cook.

My wife had no idea why people liked steak until she got out of her parents house. They cook everything to death. Some kind of paranoia about food safety I think.

That incident with my in-laws and the prime rib was seriously painful. It was like a hundred dollar prime rib. MIL pulls it out at like 145F (already too high) and decided it needs more time because it's "still pink." It's prime rib!

It ended up being this hideous lifeless grey. I ate the minimal amount I could get away with without being insulting. Might as well have eaten my boot.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Worked at a restaurant where they would dunk any steak ordered above medium in a vat of melted butter. Try to get some flavor into the thing.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hah! I used a brine(maple /burbon) and a leave in thermometer about an hour before it was supposed to be done I turned it on .179 F YIKES . I think the brine saved it but the was a close one

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The people with whom I share my world with are always be chiding me or joshing me for overcooking the meat products that I cook but my results speak for themselves never got none of that food born illness from my meals and that is a fact of truth. (I make up for any flavor losses by dunking the meat product in a tank of cumin.)

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The people with whom I share my world with are always be chiding me or joshing me for overcooking the meat products that I cook but my results speak for themselves never got none of that food born illness from my meals and that is a fact of truth. (I make up for any flavor losses by dunking the meat product in a tank of cumin.)
I bet @ChiliinFool would chide you too.
mwink[1].gif

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dunking his meat product in a tank full of cumin = typical Linc Saturday night

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My family is notorious for overcooked, shredded turkey. My uncle cannot carve the thing for the life of him. Of course he has cheap, dull knives and is too stubborn for an electric knife. It's become a running joke in the family. That and the fact that no one can slice a pie evenly.

cmon now that's just nitpicking.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members