• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Yacht Thread

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ah, interesting. i've actually read that article before, strange i forgot.
anyways, for commoners like meself, this is a ride i'd like to own one day:
http://www.pursuitboats.com/OS315.htm

I don't get why anyone would drop 200K+ on that little POS when you could have a beautiful sailing yacht in the same range. Of course I know next to nothing about boats, and it probably shows.

Last edited:

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always wanted to own a yacht...how much does a decent sized one cost? (all in, maintenance, upkeep, etc)

chrisjr

Reaction score

I don't get why anyone would drop 200K+ on that little POS when you could have a beautiful sailing yacht in the same range. Of course I know next to nothing about boats, and it probably shows.

well i'd buy it used, in the $120K range, and this would serve a much better function than a sailing yacht, allowing us to motor our to our cottage on an island in Georgian Bay and rip around the open waters for fishing, scuba, and exploring. I love sailing and if we didn't have a cottage it would make a ton of sense to keep a sailboat in Toronto harbour.

EgliComet

Reaction score

I wouldn't consider it a yacht but it is mine. 1959 Dyer 29.
I'm also wrapping up an old catboat restoration on a Legnos Mystic 20. Another "not a yacht" but that's okay.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, hey, a boat thread. We should get this renamed because only douchebags call their boats yachts.

SomethingWitty

Reaction score
Always wanted to own a yacht...how much does a decent sized one cost? (all in, maintenance, upkeep, etc)

I've always heard that a rough estimate to "keep it floating" each year will cost about 10% of the new price... This is supposed to cover fuel, crew, maintenance, etc. though I'm not sure what size threshold that is applicable for...

Obviously that doesn't cover depreciation. I've also been told that if it floats, flies or *****, it's cheaper to rent it.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember Donald trump once said that it cost $250k to fill up his yacht, which was why he sold it.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All of those boats burn fuel at an obscene rate. Your average 50ish foot mcyacht will burn a gallon every 30 seconds underway. On the really big ones the tanks are so big and contribute so much ballast that they need to be filled with water as they empty or the boat would sit too high and roll.

Last edited:

SomethingWitty

Reaction score
I remember Donald trump once said that it cost $250k to fill up his yacht, which was why he sold it.
Just wiki'd it and Trump's yacht originally cost $100MM (he bought it used for $29MM; that hurts), so it would cost about $10MM to keep it fueled and crewed... Based on a $250k fill-up, that sounds about right.

themexconnect

Reaction score
Totally for different purposes, Living on the coast that would be a nice offshore fishing boat, however yes for 200k is much you can find similar or used for much better price

EgliComet

Reaction score

All of those boats burn fuel at an obscene rate. Your average 50ish foot mcyacht will burn a gallon every 30 seconds underway. On the really big ones the tanks are so big and contribute so much ballast that they need to be filled with water as they empty or the boat would sit too high and roll. 

The 95' Inace that I lived on before my employer soldit held 9000 gallons of diesel. It's burn rate was minuscule 20 gallons/hour at about 12 knots with twin Cat 3208s.
By comparison, his 57' Derektor built commuter has twin V12 MANs with 2700hp and it drinks 120 gallons/hour. It can cruise at 50 knots on a smooth day on the Sound.
His 57' commuter has

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member