• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Worst Look

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will defend NORE here in a qualified way. The worst thing there by far is the square. That has to go. Replace with plain white or cream, either will work.
The worst think remaining are the navy dots within the tie. They clash with everything else. Get rid of those and make the tie solid or else the dots white or off white or maybe brown.
Then what you have is a kind of Paul Stuart danfidied outfit. It's not something I want to wear, but it "works" for what it is.

Thanks. The dots in the tie are brown.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Women and gay men are alike in this regard. Our culture tells them that good taste is a mark of femininity. So, lots of women and gay men tend to assume they have good taste.
In fact, I have seen no proof that any gender, sex, or sexual orientation is any more tasteful than the others. Some are just more inclined to express their idea of it and society mistakes their enthusiasm for talent.

I agree. I said this in a different way a long time ago in a different thread and I was crucified.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Women and gay men are alike in this regard. Our culture tells them that good taste is a mark of femininity. So, lots of women and gay men tend to assume they have good taste.
In fact, I have seen no proof that any gender, sex, or sexual orientation is any more tasteful than the others. Some are just more inclined to express their idea of it and society mistakes their enthusiasm for talent.

This is true, and well said. I meant it more as a harmless joke. I'd say the average woman puts in more effort than the average man when it comes to style but effort doesn't always translate into knowledge as you said.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe it's my tenure at RL, but I don't mind the collars on NORE's shirts, that being said I don't prefer them. I think this would be great if the shirt were blue and the tie were a blue madder paisley. Replace the square with white linen.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
NORE's collar here is too low, but I don't mind the shirt otherwise. It is what it is, a dandified Jermyn street sharpie shirt.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe it's my tenure at RL, but I don't mind the collars on NORE's shirts, that being said I don't prefer them. I think this would be great if the shirt were blue and the tie were a blue madder paisley. Replace the square with white linen.

Thanks man. 95% of my shirts have the Regent collar and of those maybe half are contrast collars. I love them and snap them up whenever I can find one in 16.5 36/37. I have two Keatons which are both contrast collared. I agree that choosing a good tie with these shirts can be difficult which is why I have been leaning more toward textured ties with pindots. I have a couple of madders and some geometrics but none solid.

In other news; these pics I have been posting are old as some of you know but I've done so to assist with the recent commentary momentum of late. Since now I mainly dress up for social occasions, it will be some time until I post newer pics. Even though I only own 8-9 suits with many of them seasonal, I never appear to be wearing the same thing which is a plus IMHO. And being that I'm not dressing up for business, I can dandify my look as I wish, hate it or love it. I happen to love it.

:)

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NORE's collar here is too low, but I don't mind the shirt otherwise. It is what it is, a dandified Jermyn street sharpie shirt.

Yeah, given his size, this collar style just looks way too small on him.

I think it has more to do with the camera angle which is why the neck band is so visible. You guys know how the Keaton collar sits.

Last edited:

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

donkey urine (and ejaculate) is actually significantly cooler in temp at discharge then its human counterpart.

I won't ask how you know this.

Nore's PS is definitely in the category of donkey urine. Just dreadful.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Discuss.

DHxZ8.jpg
ECBB9.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Tie and square are hideous, not just that they don't work together, they don't work simply.

When you miss you really miss big, like Dave Kingman. That gives me an idea ...

TintinATL

Reaction score

Down here in the South "business casual" is interpreted as an invite to wear a Dri-Fit polo from some obscure country club tucked into deep double pleated khakis with a steel tipped belt and some flavor of Rockport-inspired footwear. Not to mention that all of these ensembles are, more often than not, accompanied by some flavor of sport/fishing sunglasses and croakies.

Just be glad you're not regularly subjected to NJ. I wore a pair of chinos, blue Oxford and a sportcoat, someone stopped me to ask me why I was 'so dressed up'. They not only look like hell, they feel it's their duty to drag everyone down with them.

At least many of you aren't in IT consulting :fu:.

People who work for technology companies + in the South = perfect storm. Work with them every day. It's depressing. And indeed, if you wear anything different from their uniform, they ask if you're on your way to a wedding. Occasionally someone will ask my advice/opinion on a matter of dress. When I suggest starting with something that actually fits, like a smaller size shirt or flat-front pants, they're like "well, I don't want to look gay."

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

+ (too many points)

This is Very well put foo and certainly is true in US. I suspect it has been going on for a while but this tendency has skyrocketed in last 2 decades I think (up till 80s it wasn't so bad). Moreover, if a straight man happens to have decent enough taste, he is often reminded by others to yield in favor of a feminine/gay opinion.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads