• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thewho, with those boots I think you need to dress up the sweater with perhaps a shirt underneath, maybe a grey OCBD

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score

i don't really feel like digging up your old posts about you saying you for the clean look when you first started posting

seems you've got selective amnesia :lol:

who not really feelin that sweater sorry man :eek:

I trolled a lot back then, i am guessing this why I don't remember this

Last edited:

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It´s a nice fit, who, and the sweater looks really good. Jet´s wrong for not feeling it.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Regis is a bullshitter

KOY's suggestion only brings down the outfit even more

Lionheart is wrong

Jet is basically correct, but I got soft spot for Ervell :eek:

Last edited:

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You´re actually wrong, toasty, but it happens to you so often that I understand why you don´t realize it every time.
stirpot.gif

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Who, how tall are you? The sweater looks a little short - I only have one ervell knit, and while it's really nice, it is definitely too short for me. Shoulda sized up, I guess.

recondite

Reaction score
Cuffs pulled up when I lend over to take the shoe shot.

Lets dry dropping in the HTML instead.

Uh...... here's the deal: your legs are short relative to your body, they are foreshortened by the angle of the camera, or both.

So, wearing shoes or boots lighter than your pants, like you did earlier, is a bad look for you.

Untucking your shirt is a bad look for you.

And finally, cuffing your pants is a bad look for you.

To look your best, you need to tuck in your shirt, uncuff your pants, and wear shoes or boots the same tone as your pants or darker; otherwise, your legs will look unattractively short compared to the rest of your body.

This is especially true when you dress with a top and bottom that are contrasting in tone.

It will be less true if your top and bottom are monochromatic, such as with a suit, or least the same in tone, such as a dark tone top or sweater with jeans or trousers of a different color; e.g., black sweater and new denim jeans. When your top and bottom are monochromatic or of similar tone, such as when wearing a navy lounge suit; pick only one of the following items that may visually foreshorten your legs: shoes/boots lighter than pants, socks lighter than pants, cuffs on pants 1.5" or less, or untucked shirt that is hemmed to maximize apparent your waist height.

Your two best options are to cuff your pants or wear fun socks, but not at the same time.

Any shirt you wear untucked should be hemmed square to end at just low enough to cover your beltline, which should be at your the level of your navel; i.e., long rise pants.

Going further, according to the pictures you have supplied, you will always look better in a bomber style jacket compared to a pea coat, car coat, or parka of similar length. You will always look better in long rise pants or jeans compared to low rise jeans. You will always look better when you keep all the patterns and color in your outfits on your torso compared to bold patterns and colors on your legs. You will always look better with darker trouser and lighter top, than the opposite. V-neck sweaters will always look better on you compared to crew neck or turtleneck sweaters, unless the turtleneck is very light in color and layered under a V-neck garment like a cardigan or an open darker jacket that creates a V look.

Just my opinion based on what might be an unflattering camera angle or your phenotypic expression. Cheers!

Last edited:

thewho13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re the sweater: it's definitely a cropped knit; I tried it on in a size medium but it was waaaay too tight. A large fits fine in the body and the sleeves. It's just a little short lengthwise (I'm 6' tall). Kinda annoying, but I think that would only be an issue when wearing (low-rise) denim since it looks really, really good with trousers and a pair of sneakers. Boots were probably the wrong call, although I still think they look good in person.

Last edited:

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
recondite - that sounds like it was generated by a computer :)

Thanks very much for the feedback - detailed feedback even. I will read a few more times and try to take it in.

Appreciate the comments on the tucking - I can see for myself that it looks better. However during those times when I must dress casually, I would still like to wear an untucked shirt. I've taken another couple shots with today's fit, however this time with the shirt untucked to get some further feedback. It's not that I think the untucked shirt looks better (I dont), but I am trying to get some idea of what I should be going for when I begin tailoring my more casual shirts which I intend on wearing untucked.

Obviously this shirt is still a little long, but overall I think of all my shirts, the Kitsune shirts i've bought recently fit best OTR - however they will still need the length taken up. This is a size 42 which is an L for Kitsune. As you can see, across the chest/shoulders the fit is pretty good. However it is still too long - I am guessing by about an inch.

These are perhaps the loosest chino's I own as all my others are slim. I can see form the RHS picture what benesyd has been saying about matching the fit of the pants to the shirt, as I have previously been pairing slim chino's with un-tailored shirts. I can also see where the cuffing is making my legs look shorter. However as the leg opening is large, I am unsure how they will look once hemmed. I wouldn't want to be walking around with bell bottoms lol.

recondite

Reaction score
recondite - that sounds like it was generated by a computer :)

Thanks very much for the feedback - detailed feedback even. I will read a few more times and try to take it in.

Appreciate the comments on the tucking - I can see for myself that it looks better. However during those times when I must dress casually, I would still like to wear an untucked shirt. I've taken another couple shots with today's fit, however this time with the shirt untucked to get some further feedback. It's not that I think the untucked shirt looks better (I dont), but I am trying to get some idea of what I should be going for when I begin tailoring my more casual shirts which I intend on wearing untucked.

Obviously this shirt is still a little long, but overall I think of all my shirts, the Kitsune shirts i've bought recently fit best OTR - however they will still need the length taken up. This is a size 42 which is an L for Kitsune. As you can see, across the chest/shoulders the fit is pretty good. However it is still too long - I am guessing by about an inch.

These are perhaps the loosest chino's I own as all my others are slim. I can see form the RHS picture what benesyd has been saying about matching the fit of the pants to the shirt, as I have previously been pairing slim chino's with un-tailored shirts. I can also see where the cuffing is making my legs look shorter. However as the leg opening is large, I am unsure how they will look once hemmed. I wouldn't want to be walking around with bell bottoms lol.

Thanks.

FYI, the shirt isn't "a little too long", it appears to be nearly 30cm too long which is how much higher your natural waist appears to be in those the above photos, although it's probably only 15cm too long. Tuck that shirt in!! With your shirt like that and the pant cuffs, your legs look like they are a little over 60cm long. Boot color nearly matching your trouser's color is the only thing helping your legs to look longish and stopping you from looking like a little kid wearing daddy's shirt. Black or dark brown boots would have contributed to the visual catastrophe.

Hem your pant without cuffs and tuck in your shirt, and you will look much more proportionate and attractive.

The shirt is a good look for you, as are the trousers and boots. Just not together and in the way you present them. Tuck in your shirt and hem your pants.

In future, buy long rise pants that are the height of your natural waist and look even better.

You must decide if you wish to dress in a personal style where you look your best, or in something fashionable, like an untucked shirt that looks horrible on you. The choice is yours, but don't make a choice just because you can, because if you do, then the outcome may be far less than desirable such as above.

Last edited:

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know. I lived there (Helsinki) for a year when I was 18.

Beautiful city.

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Elitism is such a welcome change around here.

It's so boring repeatedly hearing from nice, thoughtful and helpful people who think that this thread is about showing your fits, learning from others, providing advice and going on a bit of a personal journey.

And just in case you and a couple more heroes around here are stupid in addition to rude, I offer you this;

e·lit·ism
/iˈlēˌtizəm/
Noun

The advocacy or existence of an elite as a dominating element in a system or society.
The attitude or behavior of a person or group who regard themselves as belonging to an elite.

Time for a group hug? :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads