• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzlybear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wonder how neo has time to pick out outfits. seriously. the dude has like 4 closets and hes always on the run :foo:

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Was behind 2 #menswear types on the MTR today, both wearing sockless bucks, shorts, and button up shirts. never realized how ******* gross it looks. The whole #meanswear thing is big in Hong Kong with foreigners, you see so many old white guys with rolled raw selvedge jeans, bead bracelets and tailored shirts tucked in, double monks, etc.. It looks unforgivably tacky, for some reason, like I would be instantly turned-off from meeting that person.

Last edited:

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was behind 2 #menswear types on the MTR today, both wearing sockless bucks, shorts, and button up shirts. never realized how ******* gross it looks. The whole #meanswear thing is big in Hong Kong with foreigners, you see so many old white guys with rolled raw selvedge jeans, bead bracelets and tailored shirts tucked in, double monks, etc.. It looks unforgivably tacky, for some reason, like I would be instantly turned-off from meeting that person.

No matter what their Tumblr hags tell them, none of it's really on the sexy side of dressing

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no.. you are. if he is then so is the plethora of yohji disciples. :foo: :satisfied:

Just because a suit is 10" too big doesn't make it yohji. Brb going to mens wear house buying 2 for $150 suits for dat yohji aesthetic.

MaoDawg

Reaction score
prkr718b.jpg

vtg brooks bros sack suit about two sizes too big / no name tee / chucks

?

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to see a pic from the front. parker has the uncanny power to make a lot of things look cool because he's parker

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Parker, I'm going to go with fail on this one too. It just looks like a suit that's way too big for you, not an intentionally slouchy / loose fit.

It's not often we get to say 'that's bad' to you so I'm enjoying this rare occasion!
biggrin.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to judge honestly without better shots. But the rolled pants cuffs are what makes the fit look intentional here. With a long break on the pants, there could be a doubt, but not styled this way IMO

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
agree with gdl. i'd also like to see the look from the front though. i think this could be cool if the shoulders are really soft (like almost jersey soft), but it doesn't look that way from what I can see. i'm not a fan of the oversized jacket unless it's really slouchy, even when Yohji does it. also, I think if we could see the tshirt it would emphasize how casual the fit is and that would help it make sense, but again you don't see that from the side.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yeah, I should have added that this was a cheap $20 experiment, and I wasn't really sure if it worked. yes, it's intentionally too big, mr. rambo... I think the proportions are still a little frumpy and the cut just too "American insurance salesman" to be cool (even in an Andy Warhol kinda way). I took the padding out of the shoulders so they are a little droopier and threw the whole thing in the washer & dryer. maybe if I did that a dozen more times it would get nice and rumply. as you all know I've been getting into Yohji's stuff and a lot of his jackets are intenionally boxy and big, but I totally agree you can't just take a normal-ass suit and size up. not only are there differences in materials and details, but also in the actual cutting of the pattern. it might sound obvious, but it gives me an appreciation for how the little things like the shape of a lapel or the front cutaway are so critical to the overall look. again, this was just an experiment. and fwiw, I still like vintage Brooks Brothers sack cut, but in my regular size.

here's the front view:

prkr718a.jpg

Last edited:

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I like it actually (the way it's currently styled). Might help to give it a tad more shape in the waist

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ah, thank you Mr. Parker. I figured you were going for something. You're normally too good a dresser to just walk out of the damn house in a 46L. I just couldn't figure out what the hell it was.

Would you retry the experiment with something like a D&G or Etro suit in a larger size? Slimmer cut so from the start to offset the larger sizing. I don't know what the Yohji aesthetic is so I don't know if that would defeat the purpose or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads