• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

J3ff

Reaction score
New dream watch:

cellini_date_m50515-0007_0002_840x107014274172836838Zmb

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know the feeling.  A dealer just contacted me (unexpectedly) about a watch that may be coming in soon, and which I had no immediate plans to purchase.  If the price is very right it could be tempting :decisions: ....but then Mrs. Dino may suggest I sleep in the garage for a few months.  

At least you'll have plenty of horological company!

contemplating many things, but possibly selling/trading the 111 for either a higher end PAM or something along the lines of what Dino has coming tomorrow.

Oh nice. What PAm would you be looking into?

Dangit Dino!!! Of course you have to kop the ONE watch that I've been mulling over this week. Congrats, buddy, you will wear that one very well! :)

Over under on how many days before TC kops BLNR?

In other news, all packed up for a little watch geek lunch today . . .

16217354337_fbd103e020_z.jpg

Thanks for the invite, @$$hO@1

Why do you need a 31 day counter? Especially one that doesn't start at zero. I is otherwise quite beautiful.

Oh you.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, is there a problem with buying a Rolex with european paper and card? Will the warranty be ok in the US? Also, very town between BLNR and Exp II 42mm black face, I need a GMT so I am not going to get both, what do you all say? Exp II can be had for a lot cheaper too but I really like that black/blue bezel.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, is there a problem with buying a Rolex with european paper and card? Will the warranty be ok in the US? Also, very town between BLNR and Exp II 42mm black face, I need a GMT so I am not going to get both, what do you all say? Exp II can be had for a lot cheaper too but I really like that black/blue bezel.

Have the ExpII in black myself, but I still want the BLNR. If I had a choice between the 2 and money was no issue, then I would go BLNR. The ExpII is a great value at it's current discounted prices, but the BLNR just pops.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Responses on wrist size are interesting. I'm at a hair over 7 inches, so probably pretty average as far as wrists go, but I find anything under 40mm too small. I have a 44mm Panerai (111) which I think is probably as large as I will go, and I think my sweet spot is probably between 40mm and 42mm. The 3 watches which consistently get the most wrist time - Yachtmaster (40mm), 15400 (41mm), VCO (42mm). I don't have anything smaller than 40mm.

And yes I do realize design / thickness play a part, which is why when I tried on the JLC MUT it didn't feel right even though it was 41mm. The OP at 36mm just felt tiny to me even though I really wanted to like it, which is how I eventually wound up with a DJII instead.

I have roughly 7.25" wrists and feel exactly the same way, except that I do wear the 46mm Big Pilot comfortably and while the case size is larger than the PAM, don't think it wears much larger if at all.

J3ff

Reaction score
The two options are a day counter or or a dual time function. I don't need a $19,000 watch either, but if I did this would be the one.

J3ff

Reaction score
BTW, have you ever heard of Feb. 0? It starts at 1 to indicate the first day of a month.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Day counter is a running joke (and a legitimate gripe) in this thread. Welcome. Also for $19K there are a lot of other dress watches out there that would appeal to me.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll have the better excuse though, I sent out some feelers on a couple watches last night to two different dealers, so this is my doing. Though maybe I'll steal your story and say they called me so naturally it was helpless to resist
devil.gif

May I ask what watch you were offered a deal on. Given your collection, which I see as extremely well rounded, I'm always curious as to what you might add.
Yes, feel free to borrow my "the dealer reached out and contacted me" story. I hope it will help with your wife.

Thank you for the kind words about my collection. If you don't mind, for now I'm going to hold off on mentioning the other possible piece. I don't want to jinx anything, and I haven't talked solid numbers yet so its far from certain. I will say I feel less pressure about pulling the trigger on it as I discovered this morning that it is not a limited edition (just supposedly the production is limited). If things look more serious I will certainly let you know what is on the radar.

@dino Neither are sanctioned..so the bigger one will be less sanctioned than the original unsanctioned plan. But I'm minded to take two slaps in one go. @DLJr , can you get away with the "investment" line? Ah well, good luck - you know you're going to do something about it!

My new title is very much TWAT-related: eyes left!
Nice title!!! It is absolutely perfect my friend!

Dangit Dino!!! Of course you have to kop the ONE watch that I've been mulling over this week. Congrats, buddy, you will wear that one very well!
smile.gif
Thanks TC ! Funny thing is last week it wasn't even on my mind...I guess being snowed in during a blizzard and doing a bit of watch research can be expensive!
wink.gif

If it is already in the US, it should be fine. If its outside the US, you could have customs problems...don't want to rehash, but there was a lot of discussion here already. Basically, you can physically bring one Rolex per person into the country on your person. So you need to have someone bring it into the use. Shipping it into the US could result in customs confiscating it.

I have looked at and tried on both the current Ex2 and the BLNR, and I own a previous gen Ex2 16570. Overall, I like the look of the current Ex2, its less expensive price, and its brushed center links (vs polished on the GMT)...the brushed links are better at hiding scratches, yet its bezel will scratch the cerachrom of the GMT won't. Yet after trying both pieces on more than one occasion I preferred the BLNR. I found the current Ex2 just a tad bulkier than I wanted, as is 42mm vs. 40. I also liked the blue/black bezel, and I already have the last gen Ex2 with steel bezel. I also could not decide if I found the Orange 24 hr hand a tad too reliant on the fame of now iconic Orange Hand Ex2 of the 1970s. Sort of at a quick glance you look and its resembles the original, but its not...IMHO it sort of lives in its shadow. Its a cool watch, and its great in its own right, and is far more practical than the original because its got an independently adjustable hour hand (the original wasn't a GMT type watch, it could only give military time). In the end, an Ex2 would save me more money, but the BLNR spoke to me more than the Ex2 did, at least for now. Also, I have an example of an Ex2 in my collection, but no example of a GMT. Best thing to do is try both and make a choice based on which really makes you smile. You can't go wrong with either.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I, for one, have always appreciated a date function on a watch, be it a window or sub-dial. Personally, I would define the joke as a personal preference.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boom! Dino944's BLNR has been revealed! Congrats, brother!

This little date-only watch, on the table at my weekly lunch date with watch enthusiast friends.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Yes, feel free to borrow my "the dealer reached out and contacted me" story. I hope it will help with your wife.

Thank you for the kind words about my collection. If you don't mind, for now I'm going to hold off on mentioning the other possible piece. I don't want to jinx anything, and I haven't talked solid numbers yet so its far from certain. I will say I feel less pressure about pulling the trigger on it as I discovered this morning that it is not a limited edition (just supposedly the production is limited). If things look more serious I will certainly let you know what is on the radar.
Totally understand, good luck with it. I look forward to hearing the story regardless of the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads