• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Certainly not their finest hour, but those were tough times when it seemed the quartz revolution might wipe out mechanical watches. Lots of watch companies produced some questionable watches back then. As much as I like watches from the "The Big Three," they all produced some horrible, only "1970's Vegas appropriate" looking watches watch that regardless of the quality are best forgotten. Yet, I wouldn't hold that against them decades later.
My opinion of Cartier is more broadly based, across their entire product line, and in a historical context. That is, that the departure of the family (and Jeanne Toussaint) signaled the fall of the House of Cartier. A bit dramatic but there it is.

Interesting! I've only ever seen occasional price reductions from AP. I've not seen it from other brands. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed & hope that a few other brands will do the same.
I would love to see reductions as well but I'm just a tiny bit peeved that one of my Franck Muller pieces will have its list price reduced by 25k.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

JLC Geophysic. 38.5. Auto. 2 hands. Really nice IMO. Only 58 pieces made however...

Not a dress watch. But a neat everyday watch is you are the type that has a platinum daily wearer.

Its my fave look for a Speedy.
Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Grand Taille:

Beautiful. I was thinking I would like a white dial but would have to see this in person to see if I like the "silver" dial. I might really love it. In any event, your answer reminds me that the old extra-plate Vacheron in White Gold is still the ideal dress watch. I like the stick markers on that better than these

Dopey what about the Richard Lange 3-hander? Photo below is of the white gold boutique edition, but this comes in platinum, too:

Also really like the VC Traditionnelle in platinum:

I do not like the Lange at all - numerals in particular bother me, but, in general, there is too much clutter on the dial.
The Traditionnelle is really beautiful, though not necessarily what I was thinking when I said dress watch.

lol. I just noticed that I didn't write "dress watch" I remember now that I was thinking that and put it in my post. But then I deleted it so as not to prejudice the answers. Now I know why you weren't following my secret instructions.

Well, if you can stretch the size a bit, there's

65full1.jpg

- which @ 42mm is 3mm smaller than most Radiomirs :)

lol That's what I get for not specifying dress watch.

Last edited:

SteveH35

Reaction score
Tourbillon Tuesday! Newest TickTocking review of another Journe Tourbillon highlighting some of the differences with later pieces

0.jpg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dopey, when do you plan on making this purchase?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love to see reductions as well but I'm just a tiny bit peeved that one of my Franck Muller pieces will have its list price reduced by 25k.
Yes, I suppose I would be a bit annoyed to see a big reduction in MSRP on a watch I already owned. Sorry to hear that. Still wish it would happen with other brands that in recent years have developed over inflated MSRPs.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I suppose I would be a bit annoyed to see a big reduction in MSRP on a watch I already owned. Sorry to hear that. Still wish it would happen with other brands that in recent years have developed over inflated MSRPs.

+1. I understand that watchmakers have raised prices because they can, particularly due to demand from China and the Middle East, but it's still depressing to see just how ludicrous prices for some watches have become over the past decade.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score

^ Superb, B. I wish I could take watch (or any kind of) photos like that.

Thanks TheWraith, I just grabbed that shot with a cheapo point-and-shoot. They're great for macro pics if you don't want to go for the whole pro set-up.

Ben

Tuck16

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently started following this thread, and thought I'd contribute by sharing some pictures of my current watches: a '72 speedmaster, a Port Chrono and a Doxa.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sometime between tomorrow and never. Wotcha got for me?

Lol. Nothing this moment, but I think that VC is the way to go for what you want.

---

Playing with my watch this morning. Derp...

67bccba52cb50ecb9e5c435779dd04df.jpg

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever with the postive attitude, T&T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?