• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctp120

Reaction score
Choosing between 3 pre-owned subs; price differences are negligible in terms of my decision, and all are in mint or near-mint condition:

1995 T serial 16610 w original box and certificate of authenticity

2002/2003 16610T (no holes case) w original box and papers

1987 R serial 168000 (rare transitional model) w original box, books, hangtag and papers

Thoughts?

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Choosing between 3 pre-owned subs; price differences are negligible in terms of my decision, and all are in mint or near-mint condition:

1995 T serial 16610 w original box and certificate of authenticity

2002/2003 16610T (no holes case) w original box and papers

1987 R serial 168000 (rare transitional model) w original box, books, hangtag and papers

Thoughts?

The transitional! The others seem too pedestrian--why not buy new instead?

ctp120

Reaction score

The transitional! The others seem too pedestrian--why not buy new instead?

Given the trusted provenance and excellent condition available on the pre-owned market for this model, buying new doesn't seem worth the premium. Perhaps I'm naive about that? Part of me tends toward the transitional model for its uniqueness, but then again I'm not really interested in rarity for its own sake. I'm more concerned with weighing each on its technical and aesthetic merits, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As this is basically the Rolex appreciation thread anyway, what are the peoples' thoughts on this as an everyday wear piece?

I'm not fond of date windows of any kind and particularly not fond of grafted-on date bubble magnifier thingies. I like the clean look of these plain Jane Oyster Perpetual models. (Not my wrist, my watch or my pics):

orig.jpg
medium800.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

As this is basically the Rolex appreciation thread anyway, what are the peoples' thoughts on this as an everyday wear piece?

I'm not fond of date windows of any kind and particularly not fond of grafted-on date bubble magnifier thingies.  I like the clean look of these plain Jane Oyster Perpetual models. (Not my wrist, my watch or my pics):

orig.jpg
medium800.jpg

You are better off with an actual Explorer. Oyster Perpetual with Explorer dial is fail.

ctp120

Reaction score
If no cyclops or even date window are the parameters, I like it fine, but I prefer the Explorer. If not too sporty for your everyday, I like the no date Sub even better. In spite of the fact that I'm contemplating a Sub myself, I'm not much of a Rolex fan. I really like a few of their iconic watches, but I'm somewhat lukewarm on the brand as a whole.

Allez Allez

Reaction score

I'm not fond of date windows of any kind and particularly not fond of grafted-on date bubble magnifier thingies.  I like the clean look of these plain Jane Oyster Perpetual models. (Not my wrist, my watch or my pics):
I really love this watch.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far. The Explorer is a watch I have liked much more in pics than in person, where it just leaves me a bit cold. Feeling the like, but not the love. I do like the basic Sub C more, but don't really need a dive watch. Air king is nice but a bit too small.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As I've mentioned, I think this is the best of the current offerings from Rolex (or recent, as it seems they may have discontinued it already?). It's nicer than the similar blue dialed, Explorer style Air-King which has (or had, as it seems to be gone from the site as well) chunkier batons and polished 3-6-9. It's also better than the 39mm Explorer, again due to not having polished numbers and having better balanced hands.

Now, is it better than a 36mm Explorer? I guess that's up to what you want out of it, as it's probably a little less sporty than that. For me, having a no-date Sub, I think I would prefer the OP for some versatility. Had I not had that, I think I would go for an Explorer instead. Of course, there's the whole upgraded hardware and I guess movement as well with the OP, but I care less about that.

Bottom line, I think it would be a perfect daily wearer with it's great blue dial and the brushed bracelet.

@RFX45, did you ever post any wristshots of yours?

On edit: Looks like that Air-King model still exists, just without the Air-King name on it.

Last edited:

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
So after four months of eager anticipation, my new bespoke watch is finally finished. The dial is entirely hand-stitched silk embroidery on top of a silk base, a painting that was miniaturized to fit a 3cm wide dial. Both the embroidered dial and the method of attaching the silk dial to the metal base are world-first techniques.

Enjoy the scans guys!

Sweden

Reaction score
So after four months of eager anticipation, my new bespoke watch is finally finished. The dial is entirely hand-stitched silk embroidery on top of a silk base, a painting that was miniaturized to fit a 3cm wide dial. Both the embroidered dial and the method of attaching the silk dial to the metal base are world-first techniques.

Enjoy the scans guys!
Nice work!

luvmalik

Reaction score
hi,

writing after a long time.

i am looking at buying zenith el primer stratos flyback rainbow, but before i go ahead and make the purchase, just wanted a quick opinion on the watch?

has anybody been using it here?

any comments will be welcome

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, is it better than a 36mm Explorer? I guess that's up to what you want out of it, as it's probably a little less sporty than that. For me, having a no-date Sub, I think I would prefer the OP for some versatility. Had I not had that, I think I would go for an Explorer instead. Of course, there's the whole upgraded hardware and I guess movement as well with the OP, but I care less about that.

Yes, a little less sporty is what I have in mind. I've always thought the Datejust was a very solid watch-for-all-occasions (or most, anyway). Just not stuck on the Cyclops at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads