• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also favour chronographs, so I might be a bit biased. But here's my take on the two models....

Great write up and a beautiful group photo!
inlove.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inorite! Since he said he could part with pretty much all of them , I think the right thing to do is to send them to me.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Inorite! Since he said he could part with pretty much all of them , I think the right thing to do is to send them to me.

I have been shamelessly regurgitating Stitchy's "give it to me" and "send it to me" in other forums. I confess.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have been shamelessly regurgitating Stitchy's "give it to me" and "send it to me" in other forums. I confess.

Superb! It has worked for me on occasion in the past. Never with a watch though. :(

Has it worked yet?

Yes, please report back on this, frilly.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've found that either can be a bit over-the-top at times. (Mind you, my taste in watches is exceptionally curmudgeonly and I tend to think that everything new sucks.) If I had to choose only one watch among my current ones it would be the plexi GMT, as it's less blingy than the Daytona,

Thanks for the write up, Belli. Curious, do you find the Daytona to be a bit more blingy because of the steel bezel? Or is it something else about the watch? Do you think it would still be too flashy with a black bezel, as a casual sport watch?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the write up, Belli. Curious, do you find the Daytona to be a bit more blingy because of the steel bezel? Or is it something else about the watch? Do you think it would still be too flashy with a black bezel, as a casual sport watch?

I don't want to speak for Belli, but personally, I find it blingy because of the (now) polished center links. The polished center links are, to put it lightly, blingtastic.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A steel Daytona hasn't been available new with a black bezel in more than 25 years. I find on the vintage manual wind Daytonas the ones with black bezels are a bit sportier looking.

I'm not Belli, but as someone who has owned several Daytonas I never thought the steel bezel made them blingy. In fact a steel bezel was on option when Daytonas were released over 50 years ago. So its not something new, its sort of a traditional look for Daytonas. IMHO, the polished lugs started to add to the bling factor to modern Daytonas. Whether you find the modern ones too blingy is something only you can decide.

I don't want to speak for Belli, but personally, I find it blingy because of the (now) polished center links. The polished center links are, to put it lightly, blingtastic.
Hi Nuke,

Not sure what you mean by the "(now) polished center links." The center links have been polished on these watches for just shy of 25 years or nearly half of the Daytona's entire existence. The only polished surface that has changed with introduction of the current 116520 Daytona of 2000/2001 was the introduction of polished lugs (which I can live with, but would prefer in a brushed finish). In the end the center links do pick up surface scratches and don't remain too shiny for very long.

IMHO, the polished center links are actually a better tie in to the polished SS bezel, than when the bezel was the only polished top surface of the watch on 6265s, and everything else was brushed. I find the all brushed bracelet looks better with the vintage black bezeled 6263s. YMMV. Cheers.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a choice between SDc, GMT BLNR and for a bit more AP15400 but chose Daytona.

I love it more and more every day. From casual to business it shines. I keep looking at it during work meetings lol

4130 movement is unbelievable. In 1 month mine gains 46 seconds.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do all Rolex watches have a case reference number engraved at the 12 o'clock lug? I eyed a Sub at an estate sale and in the 12 o'clock lug it was completely plain.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Do all Rolex watches have a case reference number engraved at the 12 o'clock lug? I eyed a Sub at an estate sale and in the 12 o'clock lug it was completely plain.

yup. looks like it was a knock off. Ive personally never seen a rolex without numbers engraved between the lugs

Allez Allez

Reaction score
You should see the model number between one set of lugs and the serial number of the watch on the other end. It would have to be a very old Rolex for that not to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads