• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I happily own and enjoy both chronos, a RO and Daytona (with a 4130 mvmt)

The finish on the RO, especially the dial and bracelet, is certainly in a different class than the Daytona, no question. What it comes down to, in my view, is as a piece of jewelry, the AP wins. As a piece of horology, I don't think it does.

I am familiar with what was going on back then, and as it happens I paid about 40% more for my Daytona than for my RO Chrono when I bought each (within about the same 18 month period) in the early 00s. This was very shortly after the 4130 mvmt was introduced. No regrets.

Regards,
I think you and I will have to agree to disagree. Your initial point seemed to be that the gold Daytona was a better choice than the AP RO Chrono in gold. You are saying that the AP wins as a piece of jewelry, however if we still with your original premise...both are pieces of jewelry once you go from all steel to all gold. There is no horologic value in going from a steel Daytona or steel AP to all gold...its jewelry and its priced that way. However, before you discount what the AP offers as merely jewlery vs. horology, I think one has to consider the entire watch...not merely the movement. Afterall, the Daytona's case is pretty straight forward. There are no real innovations, and nothing unusually difficult about making that case (its a basic round shaped case). However, there is a lot more engineering into making the case of the Royal Oak. Its shape is more intricate, but beyond that the rubber gaskets used and sandwiched in its case and bezel using its hexagonal bolts to make a secure closure...well I think that is horology, engineering, and art. As for the movement, that fact that something isn't in house doesn't make or break something IMHO, provided its a high quality movement. I don't think anyone would say, well Patek's 5070 isn't as good as a 5980, because the 5070 used a Lemania based movement, which one can also find in a VC Historiques Chronograph. Again I think we will just have to agree to disagree.

great stuff, dino. any thoughts though on the 15202 vs the 15400?
Thanks Stitch.

I would think my thoughts are pretty clear since I chose the 15202
wink.gif
. Just kidding. I think both are great choices, and one must consider what they want from a watch before deciding. First I'd say AP should be applauded for not making a 41mm version of the 15202 and sticking to their roots with the Jumbo. It retains its original size, movement, and has gone back to the original small Cloud de Paris dial. To me, this watch represents the most innovative and beautifully designed sport watch, all in an ultra thin case with the iconic thinnest automatic movement made. Personally, I preferred its dial (both the design and the color which I think look richer than the dark dials of the 15400), its proportions, and its famous movement, the only one ever used by PP, AP, and VC. Its size makes it incredibly versatile for both sport and dress clothing. Although, where I live one rarely sees APs except maybe at a watch event, I like the exclusivity of the Jumbo. To be honest, since the new model was released, I've only seen 1 Jumbo on 1 other person and he was just completing his purchase of it.

However, the 15400 is a damn good watch in its own right. It appeals to those who want a larger case, it has a new inhouse movement with quick set date, and its significantly less expensive. If I were really tough on watches I might choose this as I wouldn't worry as much about its movement being in a thicker case, and I'd feel more uncomfortable banging up a watch that is as pricey as a Jumbo. I think one can also get a much better discount on a 15400 as they are made in larger numbers and they're readily available through ADs. In the end I think its a really good watch, but for many reasons I favor the 15202 Jumbo.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awesome. thanks so much for sharing that, dino. i know its discontinued, but what are your thoughts on the 15300 while we are at it? :)

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
awesome. thanks so much for sharing that, dino. i know its discontinued, but what are your thoughts on the 15300 while we are at it?
smile.gif
Hi Stitchy,

You are very welcome. The 15300 has its own following. Many like it because it was the case that cal 3120 was really made for, and it looks perfect in that case. Some find it looks a bit odd that there is a big trim ring to make up for viewing this movement in the enlarged case of the 15400. I personally think the 15300 proportions look nicer to my eye, than that of a 15400. Something about the dial and bezel proportions on the 15400 just didn't work for me. In the abstract it looks great but in person something about it wasn't for me.

As odd as it is, what I really didn't like on the 15300 was the sweep seconds hand. I know its a small feature and not a big deal but I just didn't like it and its funny tail. Also, some may find the newer clasp as on the current Jumbo and the 15400 more comfortable. Over the years there were some complaints about the 15300 as many people found its butterfly clasp wasn't very comfortable. The clasps were redesigned with the introduction of the 15400 and new 15202. I find the new clasps very comfortable.

Hope this is helpful...but as you know the best way to find the right one is to try one on...although you might look a little silly crying and having on tantrum on the floor when its time to give it back to the SA...I know I always did.
wink.gif

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have any thoughts on the Rolex GMT Black and Blue? Been thinking about a beefier watch than my Nautilus and miss my Rolex...

I can't decide whether I love it or hate it.

It's been a long time since I've visited the thread, but I just wanted to say that I do like that watch. When did Rolex start selling this version?

-LR

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@TC (Houston)

Tc sorry if i missed the news. Did the stagecoach get through?

FedEx tracking is telling me that is still scheduled to be delivered today by 3 pm, but since it just left Newark at 1:56 and will make a stop in Memphis, I'm not holding my breath. :( Looks like tomorrow.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks again for your well thought out reply, dino.

i am a long ways from a RO, and i find torture unnecessary, so i wont be trying on any in person at this time. just gathering all the intel i can for now. hopefully someday soon kopping time will arrive.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's been a long time since I've visited the thread, but I just wanted to say that I do like that watch. When did Rolex start selling this version?
-LR

its less than a year that it has been available for sale i believe.

robw

Reaction score
I think we will have to agree to disagree. I do think the gold Daytona is a better choice when you weigh all the factors including cost. The better and more important movement (IMO) on the Daytona versus the better design and finish on the RO . If they were close in in price, I think it would be a more interesting question. I totally get the appeal of the AP ( (I am wearing my RO as I type this). However, at 54k v 37k, I find it very hard to justify that kind of difference. If you want to compare them in steel, its 24 v 12k. Again, hard in my view to justify that kind of premium.

Having said all that, if someone is willing to pay that big premium for what the AP offers that the Rolex does not, more power to them. Each to his own..

Enjoyed the discussion.

Respect

I think you and I will have to agree to disagree.  Your initial point seemed to be that the gold Daytona was a better choice than the AP RO Chrono in gold.  You are saying that the AP wins as a piece of jewelry, however if we still with your original premise...both are pieces of jewelry once you go from all steel to all gold.  There is no horologic value in going from a steel Daytona or steel AP to all gold...its jewelry and its priced that way.  However, before you discount what the AP offers as merely jewlery vs. horology, I think one has to consider the entire watch...not merely the movement.  Afterall, the Daytona's case is pretty straight forward.  There are no real innovations, and nothing unusually difficult about making that case (its a basic round shaped case).  However, there is a lot more engineering into making the case of the Royal Oak.  Its shape is more intricate, but beyond that the rubber gaskets used and sandwiched in its case and bezel using its hexagonal bolts to make a secure closure...well I think that is horology, engineering, and art.  As for the movement, that fact that something isn't in house doesn't make or break something IMHO, provided its a high quality movement.  I don't think anyone would say, well Patek's 5070 isn't as good as a 5980, because the 5070 used a Lemania based movement, which one can also find in a VC Historiques Chronograph.  Again I think we will just have to agree to disagree. 

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Guys, I realized I've never shared photos of this piece so I figured I'd post a few here. This was my grail watch in the 1990s. Its a stainless steel ref 16520 Rolex Daytona with the Zenith El Primero based movement, which after numerous modifications became cal 4030. It took me 2 years to track one down from a dealer willing to sell a new one at list price. Back then demand was much higher than supply so waiting lists were many years long and many dealers were asking anywhere from a 50% premium to double the MSRP for one of these. I was in law school at the time and sold a steel Submariner to pay for part of it. Lets just say I ate a lot of ramen noodles after that purchase, but it was well worth it! I have a modern 116250 with Rolex movement, which is a great watch, but this one is still my favorite.
Now, In my eyes that's an amazing watch. I have wanted this watch for years, just haven't found the right one yet.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

correct.........debuted at Basel 2013.

Although it's gorgeous, my problem with this watch (and the ceramic submariner) is that Rolex will soon price themselves into a tough spot. Almost $10K for a stainless steel watch? If i'm spending that much it'd better have some sort of precious metals or diamond markers.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks stitch.

correct.........debuted at Basel 2013.

Although it's gorgeous, my problem with this watch (and the ceramic submariner) is that Rolex will soon price themselves into a tough spot. Almost $10K for a stainless steel watch? If i'm spending that much it'd better have some sort of precious metals or diamond markers.

yeah that price seems pretty ridiculous to me. Although, I want to purchase a dayona zenith movement pratrizzi dial and that's even more. So who am I to make price judgments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads