• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And Stitchy--the sales-lady probably would have let me photograph, but I figured I would not push it. I have never purchased anything from that particular AD. I will try it the next time I come in. I have a very large void in the diver category.

i have no shame. i always ask to take pics. :embar:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i have no shame. i always ask to take pics. :embar:

Haha, my youth brings enough skepticism my way (it does not help that I look young for my age). Honestly, I have had multiple incidences where the salesperson at the AD has not even let me held the watch. Infuriating, it is. If a salesperson treats me even like a half-human, I just enjoy it.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Nice pics, RogerP.

Rarely do you see a Speedy getting wet.

Flake: can you tell me the difference between a tortoise, a turtle, and a terrapin? :D

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I have a very large void in the diver category.

This must be remedied, Newcomer, but IIRC, you've at least got a Monster, which is an adequate placeholder and legendary "poor man's watch" (never liked that term).

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This must be remedied, Newcomer, but IIRC, you've at least got a Monster, which is an adequate placeholder and legendary "poor man's watch" (never liked that term).

And I have a Mako. I love both of those watches! I agree with "poor man's watch" being an unfair term. The Monster is an excellent watch in its own right :nodding:.

The Mako is a bit more homagey. But that watch has withstood some serious abuse. Serious, serious abuse.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Haha, my youth brings enough skepticism my way (it does not help that I look young for my age). Honestly, I have had multiple incidences where the salesperson at the AD has not even let me held the watch. Infuriating, it is. If a salesperson treats me even like a half-human, I just enjoy it.

that is unfortunate. do they let you try things on? engage you in conversation when they see you love watches?

i keep note of every place that treats me well, and at least will recommend people to shop there, or call them when i am in the market for something. a good SA should know that. but that is old convo.

Last edited:

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all this talk of Tudor the last day or so, I thought I'd post another few pics of the watch I have coming to me soon:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wes - Nice wrist shot!

Wraith - How is the contrast when wearing a white face with silver hands? Seems like a dark face or gold hands could help that watch but I may be wrong. Nice pic up none the less!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that is really really nice.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Wraith: I really like the numerical font they used on that Tudor...nice balance with just the even numbers and the sticks, IMO. The shield looks really cool up top as well.

Several have commented about the blue heritage chrono, and I'm looking forward to seeing that in person too....but jeez that orange/black model that they released first....that one I REALLY like.

Apparently the closest AD for me will be Ben Bridge jewelers in the Houston Galleria. I'll have to make it down there sometime.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

that is unfortunate. do they let you try things on? engage you in conversation when they see you love watches?

i keep note of every place that treats me well, and at least will recommend people to shop there, or call them when i am in the market for something. a good SA should know that. but that is old convo.

You know, it just depends on the AD. Normally I wear my MUT Moon when I go watch shopping, but that really has not led to much. You would think that wearing a nicer watch would garner some attention, but alas. Two of the three ADs in my area that I have visited have not let me touch, hold, or try on a Patek. They usually say something along the lines of "we have Hamilton / B&M / whatever else" that may be better for you. Or "these are far outside of your price range." Which is kind of funny, as my next watch purchase may very well be a 5711, after some saving. In regards to my JLC, I have had some that have asked whether my watch is a Seiko or Bulova. Some that have suggested that I step up from the "girly" watch I have on my wrist to a real man's watch. It has been a nightmare. However, I have met three people that have really been very pleasant, and I will go back to them. Largely, however, I think I will stick to ordering from you or from Govberg.

With all this talk of Tudor the last day or so, I thought I'd post another few pics of the watch I have coming to me soon:

Very nice watch! I saw that one at the Tudor AD the other day and was very impressed. I like the even numerals, it leads to a watch that is surprisingly intuitive to read. It also causes it to be a little different from the norm.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, it just depends on the AD. Normally I wear my MUT Moon when I go watch shopping, but that really has not led to much. You would think that wearing a nicer watch would garner some attention, but alas. Two of the three ADs in my area that I have visited have not let me touch, hold, or try on a Patek. They usually say something along the lines of "we have Hamilton / B&M / whatever else" that may be better for you. Or "these are far outside of your price range." Which is kind of funny, as my next watch purchase may very well be a 5711, after some saving. In regards to my JLC, I have had some that have asked whether my watch is a Seiko or Bulova. Some that have suggested that I step up from the "girly" watch I have on my wrist to a real man's watch. It has been a nightmare. However, I have met three people that have really been very pleasant, and I will go back to them. Largely, however, I think I will stick to ordering from you or from Govberg.
Very nice watch! I saw that one at the Tudor AD the other day and was very impressed. I like the even numerals, it leads to a watch that is surprisingly intuitive to read. It also causes it to be a little different from the norm.
That's too bad. I wonder if its the area where you live, maybe only a much older clientele tend to purchase high end watches. Either way, its still completely inappropriate. I worked in a few high end stores before grad school. Right or wrong, the SAs tend to size people up as to whether they are possible purchasers or just tire kickers. I never experienced like what you did with a watch shop, even wearing my first steel GMT in my early 20's. I got to try on Cartiers, APs, VCs, IWCs, gold Daytonas etc costing far more than my steel GMT. However, I was living in an area where many younger students from overseas had very expensive cars, clothing, and watches. One of my fondest memories was walking into a shop that carried IWC, because I had heard there was an IWC event going on there that day. It was pretty quiet, and the then President of IWC North America (maybe Marc Bernhoff sp?...IIRC) started showing me watches (he was wearing a SS 3706 39mm Fleighur chronograph on a steel bracelet). After showing me a few pieces I had asked about he said, "Here, you have to try on our Grand Complication. Its not everyday that you will have a chance to try on a $200,000 watch." I was really impressed with how much time he spent with me and of course letting me try on a Grand Complication...I was clearly a student and not going to purchase something that expensive of complicated. He was a really good guy, I was sad when I saw he left IWC a few years later. AS for the comment about stepping up from your, "Girly watch," that's clearly a comment from in imbecile who doesn't know jack sh*t about watches. Sadly there is hardly a shortage of poorly trained and poorly mannered SAs in any industry.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
W
T
F

You need better local AD's. That's just unacceptable. I'm sure you're far from a tire-kicker, and any sensible salesperson should be able to tell as much

I have not had the pleasure of working with Stitches, but +1000 on Govberg.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

that is absolute horse ****. the fact you are wearing a luxury time piece should open the door to try ons and what not, but you shouldnt even need that. i understand that some places as matter of policy do not take things out of the case for try ons (dumb policy imo, but i can understand it in certain cases), but if place does not have that policy, making such caveats to potential customers is a disgrace.

an SA leading you away from what you are asking to look it is horrible practice. unless you have given extreme proof that are a criminal. in which case they should not show you anything. which i am positive that you havent. and to actually say out loud, "these are far outside of your price range" is disgusting. i would fire someone for saying that.

if that ever happened to me, i would make of point out walking back into to every place that did that to me after i made the purchase of the type of watch they would not show me or let me look at/try on. i would matter of factly walk over to the SA if they were there and get them together with the manager, or just get the manager if the SA was not there. i would then state, very simply:

"i just purchased this watch from X. i cam here X weeks/months/years ago, and was looking to try this on. i was told that "it was out of my price range and i should look at some chealer watches." i was embarrassed and disgusted. and i specifically DID NOT buy this from you when i was ready to make my purchase because i found your salesmanship appalling. i plan to buy more wathces in the future and i want you to know that none of them will be in this establishment. i hope you dont make the same mistake with your next potential customer."

and then i would walk out.

im glad that you would consider me, and i know govberg well. good people ime.

sorry for the rant, but hearing about these kinds of stories within my industry makes my blood boil.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Sinn U1 arrived today and I love it. I was a bit concerned about it's size but it really doesn't seem that much bigger than my Seiko SKX007 (though I don't think I could pull off anything bigger than this Sinn). I had been holding onto the idea that it would be too big for my tastes and I would send it back for the EZM3 instead but I am definitely keeping it.

I wish I knew how to use my digital camera properly because these crappy iPhone photos just don't do it justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads