• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
someone needs to go to the institches school of iphone photography :D

great sinn! matches the bracelet too!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Sinn MP! Is there a functional reason for hands like that or is that a Sinn style?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nice Sinn MP!  Is there a functional reason for hands like that or is that a Sinn style?  

Functionally, the hands like that make it very easy to read the time at a very fast glance compared to my other watches... of course, this is based on about 4 hours of wear, so take that for what it's worth.

I think that those big square, almost brutalist, style hands are sort of in step with the overall aesthetic of the U1.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Flake: can you tell me the difference between a tortoise, a turtle, and a terrapin? :D

Interestingly, I minored in Biology, and grew up in Florida, so I can. But I must be missing something as to why it's relevant...

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wraith - How is the contrast when wearing a white face with silver hands?  Seems like a dark face or gold hands could help that watch but I may be wrong.  Nice pic up none the less!

Thanks. I haven't worn it yet (haven't received it yet), but I like the look of the contrast. Really appeals to me.

that is really really nice.

Thanks stitchy :)

Wraith: I really like the numerical font they used on that Tudor...nice balance with just the even numbers and the sticks, IMO. The shield looks really cool up top as well.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I just loved the look of it. A little different, but classy all the same.

Very nice watch! I saw that one at the Tudor AD the other day and was very impressed. I like the even numerals, it leads to a watch that is surprisingly intuitive to read. It also causes it to be a little different from the norm.

Precisely. A little different, but still classy. It just grabbed me the instant I saw it. I've never been an impulse buyer...until now...

I can't wait to show it off on my wrist. I'll try to get it a little earlier than I originally specified. Not sure I can wait that long ;)

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Interestingly, I minored in Biology, and grew up in Florida, so I can. But I must be missing something as to why it's relevant...

Referring to your cufflinks, Flake. Just messin' with ya.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick point of note re: discussion of new black/blue Rolex GMT BLNR - am on vaca in the US Virgin Islannds right now and AH Riise at St Thomas (Rolex AD) had it in stock. $8,550 asking.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, it just depends on the AD. Normally I wear my MUT Moon when I go watch shopping, but that really has not led to much. You would think that wearing a nicer watch would garner some attention, but alas. Two of the three ADs in my area that I have visited have not let me touch, hold, or try on a Patek. They usually say something along the lines of "we have Hamilton / B&M / whatever else" that may be better for you. Or "these are far outside of your price range." Which is kind of funny, as my next watch purchase may very well be a 5711, after some saving. In regards to my JLC, I have had some that have asked whether my watch is a Seiko or Bulova. Some that have suggested that I step up from the "girly" watch I have on my wrist to a real man's watch. It has been a nightmare. However, I have met three people that have really been very pleasant, and I will go back to them. Largely, however, I think I will stick to ordering from you or from Govberg.

that is absolute horse ****. the fact you are wearing a luxury time piece should open the door to try ons and what not, but you shouldnt even need that. i understand that some places as matter of policy do not take things out of the case for try ons (dumb policy imo, but i can understand it in certain cases), but if place does not have that policy, making such caveats to potential customers is a disgrace.

an SA leading you away from what you are asking to look it is horrible practice. unless you have given extreme proof that are a criminal. in which case they should not show you anything. which i am positive that you havent. and to actually say out loud, "these are far outside of your price range" is disgusting. i would fire someone for saying that.

if that ever happened to me, i would make of point out walking back into to every place that did that to me after i made the purchase of the type of watch they would not show me or let me look at/try on. i would matter of factly walk over to the SA if they were there and get them together with the manager, or just get the manager if the SA was not there. i would then state, very simply:

"i just purchased this watch from X. i cam here X weeks/months/years ago, and was looking to try this on. i was told that "it was out of my price range and i should look at some chealer watches." i was embarrassed and disgusted. and i specifically DID NOT buy this from you when i was ready to make my purchase because i found your salesmanship appalling. i plan to buy more wathces in the future and i want you to know that none of them will be in this establishment. i hope you dont make the same mistake with your next potential customer."

and then i would walk out.

im glad that you would consider me, and i know govberg well. good people ime.

sorry for the rant, but hearing about these kinds of stories within my industry makes my blood boil.

Well said, rub it in their face, those arrogant SA should be fired, since with that attitude, they won't be any good in sales anyway.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Quick point of note re: discussion of new black/blue Rolex GMT BLNR - am on vaca in the US Virgin Islannds right now and AH Riise at St Thomas (Rolex AD) had it in stock. $8,550 asking.

BUY IT NOW!!! if not for you, for me!

Well said, rub it in their face, those arrogant SA should be fired, since with that attitude, they won't be any good in sales anyway.

thanks! and :nodding:

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Newcomer
Would be tempted to ask if they were a watch dealer or a museum...

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think that you likely hit the nail on the head. I really do think it is the location, because I have not had this kind of treatment in other cities. Quite the opposite really. You know, I hate to say it, but it really may just be part of living in certain parts of the American south. I am a preppy, clean cut, WASPY male, about as nondescript as they come. I have had bad experiences, but I have heard substantially worse stories from my close friends.

I appreciate the anecdote! That is really a very nice story, and I am sure it was a great formative experience. I think that spending time with younger customers will often pay dividends further down the road.

And the girly watch comment... yeah, that one seems to happen more frequently then it ought to. But then again, I have never reacted too well to criticism.

George at Govberg and Stitchy are both awesome-possum. Highly recommend both! You know, I feel like maybe I just exude tire-kicker-ness. I feel I look shifty sometimes. These darn ADs are causing me to be way too introspective. In general though, I think that if a customer has a watch on their wrist, there is a good chance that they *could* be a potential customer.

Yeah, I think that that kind of policy is silly, but right before I was helped the SA whipped out a diamond-encrusted Rolex for an out-of-town tourist. So it clearly was not a policy. And to be perfectly honest, I may have done that with my Speedmaster. I was going to go with a local AD initially (I am a big supporter of local business), but I had such a bad experience, I went with the Omega FAD (who also gave me close to $1,000 more in discounts).

C'est la vie, it is their loss at the end of the day! I also try to avoid the whole tire-kicker thing. I have never been in an AD more than 2 times without buying.

Glad you got my back :slayer:

Yeah, that's what I thought. I just loved the look of it. A little different, but classy all the same.
Precisely. A little different, but still classy. It just grabbed me the instant I saw it. I've never been an impulse buyer...until now...

I can't wait to show it off on my wrist. I'll try to get it a little earlier than I originally specified. Not sure I can wait that long ;)

Yes, I think it will age very nicely as well. About as close to timeless as you can get. And i can't blame you, I am looking forward to seeing some wristies!

Do it, do it, do it!

And you know what, at the end of the day, they will get what is coming to them. I feel that what goes around always comes around eventually.

Newcomer - that is frickin' outrageous behaviour - I am offended for you.

No need to be offended for me! At the end of the day, I am in it for the watches, and of course for the discussion with TWATters!

Newcomer
Would be tempted to ask if they were a watch dealer or a museum...

No **** right? I have never really understood the "holier than thou" salesman approach.

The Stitchy approach?

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ that is exactally what i means! ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads