• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgo

Reaction score

I am thinking about buying an IWC Portugeuese Chronograph, and post GST refund, it comes to $6500... what do you guys think? Good price? Should I save money in light of the coming economic downturn?! I feel bad spending money, but i love nice things.

may I suggest that you save the $6500? While I am a big fan of IWC myself, I won't spend $6500 for the Valjoux based watch. The reason why the newer Portuguese is much more expensive is because they are using the in-house movement, similar to the one on the Portuguese 7 day power reserve one. The other consideration i'd give is the size of the watch. I own both the Portuguese 7 day power reserve and the Portugueser (3531)....I find myself wearing the Portugueser for most days while the 7 day power reserve just sitting there looking pretty.

Here is some info on the Portugueser but it is pretty hard to find these days

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f350/small-portuguese-ref-3531-a-354321.html

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am thinking about buying an IWC Portugeuese Chronograph, and post GST refund, it comes to $6500... what do you guys think? Good price? Should I save money in light of the coming economic downturn?! I feel bad spending money, but i love nice things. [...]

Discussed recently and extensively: http://www.styleforum.net/t/36253/the-watch-appreciation-thread/19300_100#post_6238263

My two bits' worth is that while the Port Chrono is a good-looking watch, at that price point you can do a lot better than a 7750. It's a good, reliable movement, and its ubiquity is well-deserved, but it was expressly designed to be inexpensive to produce and I'd balk at paying that much for a basic steel watch with one in it.

I've posted this image before, but for a two-register chrono with a light dial, blued hands and gold numerals, I'd much rather have this beauty, which not only has central chrono seconds and minutes, but is also a more classic size than the IWC and has a uniquely-shaped case:

ea2ae56e_GP_vintage1960.jpeg

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have also figured out the difference between the NEW SS Daytona release this 2013 and my current "vintage" model. Here's a pictorial tutorial (oh nice, that rhymes):

See the blue arrow pointing at the OLD Daytona's lug and how it does NOT connect with the chrono pusher? OK. Now take a look at the RED arrow pointing at the NEW Daytona's lug and how it DOES connect / slope through the chrono pusher.

See it? See it? See how the lug "slopes through" the top pusher straight through the crown? And how the crown guard at the bottom "slopes through" the bottom pusher to "become" the lug? THAT'S innovation, boys and girls. Now, line up at your ADs and pay that premium!
That's amazing! I hope Rolex patented that idea so no one steals it from them.
wink.gif

Blue and black looks bad, I don't know why Rolex didn't release Coke and Pepsi although they are probably trying to sell blue/black before they release the other ones.
I like the blue and black together! As for why they didn't release the Coke or Pepsi bezel, you are presuming that they have been able to make the bezel in red. Perhaps the material they are using doesn't easily lend itself to making a good red color. Personally, I think the green of the old aluminum bezels on the Sub LV looks better than the green used on the current Sub. Rolex tends to test things extensively before releasing it to the public. I'm sure if Rolex had perfected a red bi-color bezel they would have released it, as there are tons of people that have said when they release a Pepsi bezel they will buy the ceramic model. I doubt Rolex is trying to intentionally reduce their sales of GMTs by not offering the Pepsi/Coke.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I am thinking about buying an IWC Portugeuese Chronograph, and post GST refund, it comes to $6500... what do you guys think? Good price? Should I save money in light of the coming economic downturn?! I feel bad spending money, but i love nice things.

ive had 2 of these watches...the black with white subdials...and when it was stoled, i replaced it with the blue dialed Laureus special edition. 6500 is a little high, personally id look at the grey market and buy one for around 4K. I love the watch though....its really nice in person. The valjoux based movement doesnt bother me at all...its great....reliable, and sturdy. Personally, i wouldnt pay 6500 though...but thats because im cheap. I think 4-4500 is the sweet spot for these ports. Ive read of some accuracy issues, but thats pretty few and far between. Mine were spot on.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ari - i have no idea on the pricing, but i have always been a fan of that watch. if you love it, and you can afford it, there is nothing wrong with going for it imo.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've owned that Portuguese chrono in the past and it is indeed a beautiful watch. Mine was reliable and accurate. It's not a purchase that I would repeat, however. As stated above, at that price point you can do better than a Valjoux 7750 in the movement department. That's my only caveat, though. If your only concern about the movement is accuracy and reliability, the 7750 can be counted on to deliver. (Just as it does in a good many $1k watches....)

Were I shopping for a somewhat dressy chrono at around the retail price of that IWC, this Omega (but in steel, with silver dial) would be high on my list.

alloy13

Reaction score
I've owned that Portuguese chrono in the past and it is indeed a beautiful watch. Mine was reliable and accurate. It's not a purchase that I would repeat, however. As stated above, at that price point you can do better than a Valjoux 7750 in the movement department. That's my only caveat, though. If your only concern about the movement is accuracy and reliability, the 7750 can be counted on to deliver. (Just as it does in a good many $1k watches....)

Were I shopping for a somewhat dressy chrono at around the retail price of that IWC, this Omega (but in steel, with silver dial) would be high on my list.

The colours on that watch are amazing!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I would rather stick with the blue dial.

gyalos

Reaction score

This is the smaller model (40''?). I think is more versatile than the 45'' one.

alloy13

Reaction score
Can everyone rate their 3 most durable watches (brands)?

I honestly don't see any point in going for watches that are extremely precise in timekeeping. I doubt there are any discernible differences in accuracy among top-notch watches.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Can everyone rate their 3 most durable watches (brands)?

I honestly don't see any point in going for watches that are extremely precise in timekeeping. I doubt there are any discernible differences in accuracy among top-notch watches.

theres plenty. out of the brands that ive owned, rolex and panerai. But theres a long list of really bulletproof watches....doxa, sinn, etc.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Frills, from looking at that picture, it looks like there is a little bit more going on. It look like the lug size has been increased, and it looks like the crownguards are not as sharp as they once were. Then again, these are only renderings, so who knows?

But yeah... if you want to get rid of your old, obsolete Daytona, feel free to send it my way.

And indestructible watches? A bit of a misnomer really. A good fall for any watch is probably going to break it, no matter how hard the case is.

But since you asked: Damasko, Rolex, and Bremont come to mind.

alloy13

Reaction score
How does Rado fare as a durable watch? I'm pretty sure some watches are built like tanks... We just need to find them.
rotflmao.gif

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How does Rado fare as a durable watch? I'm pretty sure some watches are built like tanks... We just need to find them. :rotflmao:

Ha not really. A G Shock is built like a tank. But if you drop any mechanical watch from 5-6 feet on concrete, chances are there are going to be issues. Crystal is going to shatter, the movement is going to be ajar. Most of the "tough" watches have case hardening treatments, or are over-engineered. But nothing can protect against a fall.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agree with newcomer. my rolex was quite durable, and my brother who owns a concrete company wears his vintage steel DJ daily and really puts it through its paces. but all that is just for dings and dents, if you drop a watch on a hard surface, you are almost for sure fuxxored. my brother actually just had to have his watch repaired after it got slammed with a huge metal chain he was pulling off his truck. probably saved him a broken wrist though.

outside of rolex it seems the panerais are damn durable too, though i have no interest in testing that fact.

many other brands have made some very durable models, but as far as companies that make all their watches to be very durable, only rolex and panerai come to mind. and even with rolex i would exclude the cellini models from that statement.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
^^after years of wearing panerais on wild drunken nights out, i can attest to their durability. Ive dropped mine while handing it to someone, Theyve broken countless falls into buildings and the ground, once my 231 was ripped off my wrist...watch and wire lugs were fine, although the strap was ripped. A buddy of mine has beat the hell out of his for about 10 years. traveled the world with him, dives with it, and routinely lets it sit submerged in a glass of beer overnight. "just because he can"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads