• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Impoly :

Have you consider the Blancpain flyback chronograph? To be honest, that watch completely caught me off guard. It's insanely nice in person and the finishing is top notch. Also looks great on a bracelet or strap. But right now, I'm really focus on saving up for a Lange 1. Also the watch is 40mm and not too thick unlike like most modern sports watch these day.
Retail price is a bit over your budget. However, BP has a really terrible resell value. So you can pick maybe one up for around 6-8k.

not my pic

http://compare.ebay.com/like/160588471431?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y
^ More pictures with the strap.

This is a great suggestion. One caveat however, don't do crazy sports with the watch: the F. Piguet movements are fine for everyday, but they don't tend to fare too well with extreme sports (Fifty Fathoms line not withstanding, those things are made for sports).

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

my daily...GMT IIc...(and harvey)
0aec56ed.jpg

Nice selection, Derek and Harvey's pretty cool, too.

Last edited:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Because they do compared to equivalent brands...?

I realize that that was probably his thinking, but my question was more directed at how he got to that thinking. So let me put it to you: is that just your impression? Any other source? Frankly, I don't see them much coming onto the vintage market and if they do, I don't see a steeper discount than, say, JLC or AP.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Because they do compared to equivalent brands...?

I realize that that was probably his thinking, but my question was more directed at how he got to that thinking. So let me put it to you: is that just your impression? Any other source? Frankly, I don't see them much coming onto the vintage market and if they do, I don't see a steeper discount than, say, JLC or AP.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

****, I just wrote a whole reply, and I hit the wrong button and it got deleted. :fu:

Ok, if you look at what the auction houses and pre-owned dealers are selling watches for compared to retail (to say nothing of arguing price with the dealer and getting a discount), you will see that BP's (and VC's for example) fare less well when it comes to resale value than PP' or AP's. I am comparing from the simplest ultra thin watch to the most expensive super complication.

rotide

Reaction score
jhcam8 lovely 5513. i need a bezel like that to replace my service one.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

****, I just wrote a whole reply, and I hit the wrong button and it got deleted. :fu:

Ok, if you look at what the auction houses and pre-owned dealers are selling watches for compared to retail (to say nothing of arguing price with the dealer and getting a discount), you will see that BP's (and VC's for example) fare less well when it comes to resale value than PP' or AP's. I am comparing from the simplest ultra thin watch to the most expensive super complication.

Hate it when that happens...

Interesting observation; thanks. I should have actually not mentioned AP; just don't follow them that closely.

vbuskirk

Reaction score

Drew, check out post #2 in this thread :)

Vbuskirk, looks great. But are they genuine 232 hands or aftermarket? How could you get OEM parts like this given how tightly OP controls its repair shops and parts?

They don't make it easy do they? These were OEM sold out the back door from a dealer never to be named off of a serviced 232. (The minute hand has some scratches on it.)

My contribution for the day:
110908-3.jpg

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Toshi should be coming in a couple days, so I will take a picture with the strap when it comes. I got the Conker with black thread... the thread was an impulse decision, but thought it would be interesting to say the least! Richard was also great to work with. Now if only my spring bar tool will come in, just realized today I had to get one :rofl:

Nice! I think the Conker is a very nice color, and black thread will be fine (think of moo's Narragansett bag).and will compliment the face. That's a great watch you have. Yes, Richard is a very good communicator. Definitely post pics of the watch on the Toshi.

Did you order a deployant from Bob Davis? He sells the Bergeon spring-bar tool for a good price.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nice! I think the Conker is a very nice color, and black thread will be fine (think of moo's Narragansett bag).and will compliment the face. That's a great watch you have. Yes, Richard is a very good communicator. Definitely post pics of the watch on the Toshi.

Did you order a deployant from Bob Davis? He sells the Bergeon spring-bar tool for a good price.

I got the Bergeon spring-bar tool from Otto Frei actually. And I have yet to do the deployant yet... Not sure if I want to do a deployant or just stick with the strap--may just get another strap and put the deployant on that one :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads