• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree - that's a non-issue

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I agree - that's a non-issue

In fact, it's a plus. The watch is either an older Mark XV that has been factory-serviced, or a later production Mark XV. Win-win.

saysomething

Reaction score

I like the fat lugs personally, but I like my diver to look solid like a diver and not a dress watch. Most people want their sub to do dual duty which I sort of understand and then a more elegant lug profile works better.

Are you saying that all previous Subs and SDs don't look solid? I think the key word Kolecho used was, disproportioned, and I have to agree. Not to take anything away from the ceramic, parachrom or clasp. Aesthetics are purely subjective.

Cylon

Reaction score
oh noz more semantics--I think we all understood what he meant.

Edit: akatsuki just purchased a big disproportionate lug, manly, heroic, steroid-improved sub. I happen to think it looks good on his wrist too.

I think his comments should be taken as subjective and impressionistic and nothing more.

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True I did buy one... And oddly enough I have skinny 7" wrists. It is definitely a subjective measure...

But I am pretty much planning on picking up a dress watch next year anyway, so I wanted the Rolex to be a much "bigger" watch.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I traded my 14060M for this 'transitional' 5513 (transitional because it has white gold surrounds and acrylic crystal):

Congrats! Thats a really handsome example of a 5513. A friend recently picked one up but yours is in much better condition. Enjoy it!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
more 5513 pr0n - no metal rings on this dial

Last edited:

bhall41

Reaction score

Beautiful. I cant make up my mind if I want a 5513 or 14060m

Either way, like you, I'ma go with no date + less wording

Yep, prefer the no-date version of the Sub (or being pedantic, simply the Submariner, the date version being the Submariner with date), as the dial looks cleaner. Also, it's one less watch I have to adjust the date on! I much prefer the acrylic crystal on the 5513 to the sapphire crystal on the 14060M, but both are great watches: you can't go wrong.

Congrats! Thats a really handsome example of a 5513.  A friend recently picked one up but yours is in much better condition.  Enjoy it!

Thanks mate.

more 5513 pr0n - no metal rings on this dial

Beautiful gdl. I may, in time, trade my Sub for a more traditional 5513, like yours. I am enjoying the combination of white gold surrounds and acrylic crystal although I appreciate it's not quite as collectible as a 5513 with matt dial.

The crown on my Mk XV has the fish - I will see if I can capture this: might be tricky with an iPhone. Agree it's only a very minor detail.

Last edited:

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
still loving my ***** so far

67b79e61.jpg

watchkeeper11.png

watchkeeper9.png

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all this talk of rolex makes me miss my DJ :(

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah I do missed my DJ Too
IMG_9801.jpg

HOLY ****!! thats the exact model i had, but on the oyster bracelet. now im extra sad. :(

ill go see if i can find a pic of mine.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

higher end watches do not by definition store more power. the indicator just tells you how much power your watch has stored. its more practical in a manual wind where you can see if your watch is running low and wind it if necessary. on an automatic model that is constantly winding on the wrist, its more there to be pretty and as a complication being offered by the manufacture.

Many thanks - great insight. Personally, I would then go for a different complication on automatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads