• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cylon

Reaction score
Many thanks - great insight. Personally, I would then go for a different complication on automatics.

Totally agree--but what? There aren't many entry-level complications on a watch other than a chronograph. Maybe I am just being a brat but I don't think classify a date window as a complication. If you are willing to spend a bit more then you can get a moon phase or alarm function, but minute repeaters, perpetual calendar, and of course tourbillon forget about em unless you wanna shell out some serious cash

As a sidenote, I love the retrograde seconds hand Blancpain uses above the 6 o clock position. I wish I saw it more/elsewhere. If it was available in steel it would probably be on my short list

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

HOLY ****!! thats the exact model i had, but on the oyster bracelet. now im extra sad. :(
ill go see if i can find a pic of mine.

ok, i found one that you can kinda make out the watch in. cropped from a pic when i took my daughter to her first day of school.

252-1.jpg

Many thanks - great insight. Personally, I would then go for a different complication on automatics.

my pleasure. watches are something i really have a passion for, and i like nothing more than spreading that love. i really aught to check out this thread more often.

im glad i was able to explain that in a way you found to be helpful.

:fistbump:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ya Cylon that BP looks nice! :fonz:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Totally agree--but what? There aren't many entry-level complications on a watch other than a chronograph. Maybe I am just being a brat but I don't think classify a date window as a complication. If you are willing to spend a bit more then you can get a moon phase or alarm function, but minute repeaters, perpetual calendar, and of course tourbillon forget about em unless you wanna shell out some serious cash

well, a second time zone with an AM/PM indicator is a decent one, or a large date function. both are more exciting than a simple date and wont break the bank. or for some coin, but not crazy coin, you could splurge on an annual calendar. there are others also.

Last edited:

Cylon

Reaction score
well, a second time zone with an AM/PM indicator is a decent one, or a large date function. both are more exciting than a simple date and wont break the bank. or for some coin, but not crazy coin, you could splurge on an annual calendar. there are others also.

If its got a nice rotating day/night disk, heck yeah, but the GO pinhole AM/PM as seen on the senator chronometer for instance is a letdown IMHO

The NOMOS Glashutte Zurich Weltzeit is both awesome and affordable, though.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If its got a nice rotating day/night disk, heck yeah, but the GO pinhole AM/PM as seen on the senator chronometer for instance is a letdown IMHO

its nothing to go bonkers about, but its a nice trinket. my jlc has a skeleton hour hand for a 2nd time zone and an AM/PM indicator window. nothing insane, but it satisfies my need to have more than just a 3 handed watch. :D

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When you say the 5513 has a matte dial, are you referring to the fact the 16040m has white gold surrounds on the dial markers or something more?

When you put a 5513 and a 14060 side by side, you will see the black in the dials is matte and glossy respectively.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[/URL]

Do the Chinese brands do any of those? I'd love a Sonnerie or something similar, but if I was going to spend that kind of cash, I'd get a Dufour or Patek 5970... So would love to find a cheaper one just for fun.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree on the usefulness (or lack thereof) of a the PR function on an automatic. If one wears more than one watch during the week, an automatic can stay on the side table for a day or two without wear. Having an indicator that tells you it's going to stop soon has some utility to it. I personally despise winders so I keep all my watches in a box or simply on my side table. Conversely, and playing the devil's advocate, when I wear manual watches, I have a systematic approach to winding it every morning so a PR indicator is not of great use. I like to see it move up on my Dornblueth when I wind it but that's pretty much it.

IMO, the most useful complications are annual calendars (perpetual are slightly more useful of course but the incremental utility comes at a tremendous price), GMT/timezone, chronographs, and alarms. My favorite complication is moon phase though - when the mood disc is beautifully designed, there's something special and romantic to it.

Last edited:

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we are talking about power reserves, I have a question for you guys....

I have a 1959 Omega Seamaster with Sub-dial at 6 o'clock that's in great condition but it only runs for 9-12 hours fully wound before stopping. Actually, it runs 9-12 hours if I'm wearing it and shorter if its sitting on my dresser. It keeps excellent time and was serviced last summer and the watch guys says that its running about 8 slow per day, keeps excellent time otherwise. Is this normal?

Last edited:

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I disagree on the usefulness (or lack thereof) of a the PR function on an automatic. If one wears more than one watch during the week, an automatic can stay on the side table for a day or two without wear. Having an indicator that tells you it's going to stop soon has some utility to it. I personally despise winders so I keep all my watches in a box or simply on my side table. Conversely, and playing the devil's advocate, when I wear manual watches, I have a systematic approach to winding it every morning so a PR indicator is not of great use. I like to see it move up on my Dornblueth when I wind it but that's pretty much it.
IMO, the most useful complications are annual calendars (perpetual are slightly more useful of course but the incremental utility comes at a tremendous price), GMT/timezone, chronographs, and alarms. My favorite complication is moon phase though - when the mood disc is beautifully designed, there's something special and romantic to it.

:slayer: :fistbump:

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Since we are talking about power reserves, I have a question for you guys....
I have a 1959 Omega Seamaster with Sub-dial at 6 o'clock that's in great condition but it only runs for 9-12 hours fully wound before stopping. Actually, it runs 9-12 hours if I'm wearing it and shorter if its sitting on my dresser. Is this normal? It keeps excellent time and was serviced last summer and the watch guys says that its running about 8 seconds fast per day, keeps excellent time otherwise.

Something is def not right. Most likely there is an issue with the mainspring that is not allowing it to tension all the way. Also 8 secs a day is not good... you can get the watch to a greater level of precision -/+ 2 or 3 secs a day.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember that the hairspring had to be replaced and he could not find one for my watch so he had an omish guy make one. Could that be part of the problem?

I found my service records...last service was May of 2010 and here is what was done:

His email says, "Watch is complete and it's amazing. We totally refinished the case for you, serviced the movement, hairspring was replaced, new genuine crystal with the silver/white spacer and regulated. Running about 8 seconds slow at full wind. Not going to mess with it further than that. This is a vintage piece and there is just only so much you can do."

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are not being a brat. I don't consider a date window as a complication, and most of my friends that are into wrist watches don't consider it a complication either. To me watches complicate watches have something such as power reserve, chronograph, moon phase, annual calendar, or subdials for day and date and sometimes combination of a few of these. But a simple date wheel is not a complication. A Rolex Datejust is a nice watch but I don't consider it a complicated watch.

Personally, I've grown tired of the grand dates on watches except on Langes and JLCs. Lange was the first to use it and JLC developed it for them, so I see a historical connection for them. Now that lots of other brands have it, it doesn't seem quite so special. So on anything other than a Lange or JLC, I'd skip it. But thats just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads