• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruzzi

Reaction score
calling iwc experts! about to pull the trigger on my first watch (mark xv) from a reputable overseas second hand dealer.

however, one minor detail someone picked up was that the crown appears to be a replacement 'probus' rather than iwc 'fish' crown. is this something to worry about or just worth enquiring about the service history?

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The crowns switched to the "Probus Scafusia" style from the fish style later in the Mark XV's model run, so it is possible it is original. Also, if the watch has been serviced by IWC, they may have switched the crown at the factory.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Mk XV has the Probus Scafusia crown (though I'd rather have the fishy one).

ruzzi

Reaction score
good to know kaplan! i prefer the look of the fish one too for some reason.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, it's because the Probus Scafusia text is too smal to read anyway and the fish graphic is just more clean and interesting. In the end it's a very minor detail, hardly noticeable unless you really look for it.

Last edited:

bhall41

Reaction score
I traded my 14060M for this 'transitional' 5513 (transitional because it has white gold surrounds and acrylic crystal):

Cylon

Reaction score
I traded my 14060M for this 'transitional' 5513 (transitional because it has white gold surrounds and acrylic crystal):

Beautiful. I cant make up my mind if I want a 5513 or 14060m

Either way, like you, I'ma go with no date + less wording

Last edited:

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beautiful. I cant make up my mind if I want a 5513 or 14060m

Either way, like you, I'ma go with no date + less wording
If you want a matte dial, go with 5513. Both are good choices though, especially given the current Sub have those ill proportioned fat lugs.

saysomething

Reaction score
Ruzzi, always inquire about service history when buying a pre-owned watch; if the seller had the watch serviced, he should, but not always, be able to produce documentation. Although this would most likely be listed in the ad.

Ask the dealer for the serial no. of the XV; the # will give you an approximate date of production and whether the crown is original or replacement. Personally, if the latter, I'd look for another example as this would niggle at me every time I strapped it on. Since you're asking the question, I'd imagine it would bother you too. XV's are pretty rare to find in the 2nd hand market but not impossibly so - be patient and you'll come across another example.
If you don't really care and posted the question because a friend or someone else mentioned the issue, don't ask a thing, buy, wear, be happy, rinse, repeat. Ignorance is bliss.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about whether the crown is a replacement in this case. Nobody is making counterfeit "Probus Scafusia" crowns. If it was replaced on that watch, it was done by the factory--perhaps during a regular service. Even if it currently had the fish crown, there is a good chance IWC would change it out when you send it in for service anyway.

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you want a matte dial, go with 5513. Both are good choices though, especially given the current Sub have those ill proportioned fat lugs.

I like the fat lugs personally, but I like my diver to look solid like a diver and not a dress watch. Most people want their sub to do dual duty which I sort of understand and then a more elegant lug profile works better.

Cylon

Reaction score
I feel the same way as kolecho on the lugs issue, and I've said as much here previously. WarrenG recently bought the bigger version and for the record I think it looks great on his wrist.

But akatsuki raises another valid point: some people want a submariner as a toolwatch/diver, as a diver first and foremost, to look big and badass. I on the other hand want it as a multipurpose watch, and as expected I lean pretty much the way he says I should.

When you say the 5513 has a matte dial, are you referring to the fact the 16040m has white gold surrounds on the dial markers or something more?

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

^^^ counterfeiting is not the issue but period correctness; this is jmho of course.

The Mark XV is not a rare, vintage collectible. "Period correctness" is not really an issue. Anyone who values the Mark XV for what it is will not care if the crown is one way or another, so long as it is a real IWC crown and installed by IWC. It is well known amongst IWC collectors that these crowns were switched out regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads