• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Those Stowas are like the watch version of butterface.
boxing[1].gif

--Andre

What really? You think so? I guess you could get it and wear it upside down..haha.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I just ordered this (w/ the COSC movement). I'll post wrist shots when it arrives.

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
You should look at the PP Aquanaut Jumbo instead of the Nautilus

+100

sammy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by el Guapo WOngO!
+100

The Jumbo is too big for my wrist. I think the aquanaut's rubber strap might be too casual for me.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
The Jumbo is too big for my wrist. I think the aquanaut's rubber strap might be too casual for me.

It's a sport watch.

The tropical strap is great.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Be sure to check out both watches in person (re: the Rolex and Patek). IMO, Patek's sport offerings always seemed to be an afterthought.
I have to agree although I love Patek's dress watches.

If you go with Rolex, you will get a quality watch for less money and it will be more durable in some ways and less costly to service. The Patek is more of a status symbol among watch fans however.

You really can't go wrong either way.

bcate3

Reaction score
sammy, you haven't indicated how you will wear the watch -- for work, play, all around -- so you're getting alot of subjective views. that said, i give mine:

Datejust. It's the most versatile of the 3. You can wear it with jeans to a suit maybe even a tux, although some here would violently disagree. Its shape is instantly recognizable as a Rolex... or a fake. It's the establishment's watch.

Nautilus: It's a watch with a distinctive shape that's still tasteful and less controversial looking than the AP. It's also a Patek which will garner the respect of the Rollie partisans and haters.
smile.gif
You could however suffer a backlash as being too uppity if you're not a high powered executive/snarky money manger/coddled trust fund baby.

RO/ROO. The most avante garde design of the 3. I don't think it's appropriate to wear in a sober, business environment especially if you're going for one of the more demonstrative offshore designs. It's a piece that screams that you took a lot of time shopping for or thinking about watches, an impression that I'm not sure you want to give . Its design probably appeals to a lot of creative types and those with money whose tastes aren't' too conventional or at least want to give that impression. It's probably the least versatile to wear of the three, so I wouldn't get it if you're looking for a core watch to wear on a regular rotation during the work week. It also has a leisure class feel to it.

All 3 are high quality, high status pieces with in-house movements (except perhaps for the RO chronos?). I like the look of the PP the most but none are on my short-list, if i had one, of must haves. You didn't' ask for alternatives but I'll give one anyways. In this class/type of watches, I would consider the GP laureato.

sammy

Reaction score
bcate3,
Thanks for the feedback. To answer your question, this will be an all around watch for daily wear; something I can either dress up with a suit, or down with jeans. I agree that the Datejust is the most practical of the three, but I am intrigued by the avante garde quality of the AP RO. I don't like the Offshores- too busy for my taste. Yes, I am the creative type with somewhat unconventional tastes, which is probably why I like the Royal Oak. I will have to compare all three in person and see which one actually looks good on my wrist to really decide.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ with bcate3: an RO is perfectly acceptable in conservative business setting/dress. An offshore is probably not. But the smaller cased simple RO is absolutely fine and I've encountered many members of senior management with a simple RO on their wrist

bracelettn.jpg

straptn.jpg

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's combo
20071030gXX.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Along with the IWC Cousteau Aquatimer I have taken a liking to this watch's colors as well. And it is fun in a dorky way that it is a Lufthansa edition.
sinn144gmtcargo_2254_detail.jpg

"This is a limited edition of 747 individually numbered pieces created for the crews, employees and friends of one of the world's largest air cargo companies, Lufthansa Air Cargo. Elements of this watch's appearance have been changed to match the corporate identity of Lufthansa Cargo.

The stop-function chronograph hands are painted in yellow for better legibility, and the dial is "Lufthansa" blue. Automatic winding mechanical chronograph movement. The movement is both shock resistant and antimagnetic. Functions include hours, minutes, subsidiary seconds, date, and complete chronograph functions.

The inner ring shows a scale which allows one to read the optimal cruising altitude (FL scale) of a Boeing 747-200 under standard atmospheric conditions, depending on the weight of the airplane (GW scale). This watch also features a second time zone indicated by a hand shaped in the outline of a Boeing 747 airplane."

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Ikarus flapped those wings very hard. Ordered on Sunday night and got here this morning by 9:30 from Germany.

stowa003.jpg

stowa004.jpg

Catalogue, COSC certification, Company Profile, Aluminum Box, Set of Vintage Post Cards
stowa005.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads