• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
inlove.gif
bigstar[1].gif
inlove.gif
bigstar[1].gif
inlove.gif
bigstar[1].gif

Flieger, those Stowa pics are making me want to buy one.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Stowas are like the watch version of butterface.
boxing[1].gif

--Andre

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I'm selfish (I'm sure many of you could have guessed) so I typically have to buy myself something during the Holiday season while I am out buying presents for friends and family. I need something to hold me over for 2 months.

I'm thinking:

MeisterSinger 43mm Single Hand Tan Dial
msonehandtan_1272_detail.jpg

38mm White Dial (on brown strap_
msbusonehandwhite_81_detail.jpg

Stowa Ikarus Airman 40mm
b3.jpg

I feel that with my love of Glashutte Orginal and A. L&S that so many great sub-$2500-3000 (while these are all sub-$1k) options I may start collecting German watches.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the z1 in cream and it gets zero wrist time. If you decide to go for that one, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to sell it to someone who will use it more often

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
For the sake of public conversation...why? You have the larger size?

But OMG OMG OMG it would be a chance to meet you!!
inlove.gif

I also have a thing for grey, that's why I really like that Stowa.

bcate3

Reaction score
SoCal2NYC, I like the look of the Meistersinger too and the sundial design but when I tried one on a couple of years ago I was underwhelmed. The dial, an off white color, and the case just didn’t pop, if that makes sense. I don’t remember the leather strap feeling that high quality either. I was in the market for it and decided against buying after trying it on.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I think it's a very nice watch for the money to be honest. I disagree with poster above but then again, I've never been highly impressed or overwhelmed by the quality, case work or finish of a watch sold for a few hundred $...

I don't wear it simply because it competes for wrist time with other watches that I enjoy wearing a bit more (GO, PAM, IWC BigP, Dornbluth, etc...). The Meistersinger (along with a bunch of otther watches) rarely wins. I still like the design though

If you're interested, we could meet up and you could try it on and make your own opinion

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I'm going to the Watch Buys Road Show the 9-11th so hopefully I can try it on and see them in person (in addition to some other models).

bcate3

Reaction score
I tried it on during a watch buys road show. perhaps you'll have a more favorable view. good luck.

sammy

Reaction score
What's the general consensus on Audemars Piguet's Royal Oak? Thinking about getting one for my next watch.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
What's the general consensus on Audemars Piguet's Royal Oak? Thinking about getting one for my next watch.

Iconic design; first expensive, all-steel sport watch. I've warmed to it over the years, but I think it's very expensive for what it is, particularly considering that some models use the Valjoux 7750 base movement. If you get one, I'd recommend one with a time-only in-house AP movement.

Still, if you are a collector of 'significant' watches, this is arguably a must-have. However, if you just want an all-steel, sport watch on a bracelet, I'd take a look at the IWC Ingenieur Automatic with the 8000-caliber movement. It's equally high-quality, has an in-house movement with anti-magnetic protection, and costs less.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I'm selfish (I'm sure many of you could have guessed) so I typically have to buy myself something during the Holiday season while I am out buying presents for friends and family. I need something to hold me over for 2 months.

I'm thinking:

MeisterSinger 43mm Single Hand Tan Dial
It's missing a hand.
wink.gif

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Iconic design; first expensive, all-steel sport watch. I've warmed to it over the years, but I think it's very expensive for what it is, particularly considering that some models use the Valjoux 7750 base movement. If you get one, I'd recommend one with a time-only in-house AP movement.

Still, if you are a collector of 'significant' watches, this is arguably a must-have. However, if you just want an all-steel, sport watch on a bracelet, I'd take a look at the IWC Ingenieur Automatic with the 8000-caliber movement. It's equally high-quality, has an in-house movement with anti-magnetic protection, and costs less.

AP doesn't use a 7750 for the basis of Royal Oak chronos.
They're using a JLC based movement with a chrono module.
A lot of the time only Royal Oaks are using a JLC movement too.

I think AP is finally coming out with their own in-house chrono movement soon.

There are folks out there who dis the Ingenieur movement because of similarities to the 7750. Doesn't bother me though.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hated at first but have come to like the Offshore it a lot. (I really don't care for the non-Offshore version.)

I don't anticipate buying one for a while. At that price you can get just about any steel watch you want.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the general consensus on Audemars Piguet's Royal Oak?

Ugly, especially the bracelet. Check out the Vacheron Constantine Overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads