• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if the little motors on a cheap battery powered winder would be enough to magnetize a watch.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I only keep my quartz watches on my winder just in case....

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Hello everyone, new to this forum. Wore my Datejust today, what do you guys think?
Super clean! Welcome. That DJ manages to look modern and vintage all at the same time. I'm wearing this one today:

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been reading today that cheap watch winders can magnetize watches. Anyone here have an opinion on/knowledge of this?

Probably not impossible. Glad I overpaid for my Wolf winder...

I'd be surprised if the little motors on a cheap battery powered winder would be enough to magnetize a watch.

Fwiw, the Japanese Mabuchi motor used in my cheap Accuratic is apparently the same used is much more expensive winders.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The cheap winders will magnetize a watch over a long periods of time but that is probably 5-10 years ago. These days even the cheapest winders won't magnetize them but it still stands that you get what you pay for.

Anyways, not sure if anyone would miss it here but apparently the name Air King will now be gone, the reference # stays the same but it is just a 34mm Oyster Perpetual now and "Air King" won't appear on the dial anymore.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Swiss Kubiks are well made and I believe the made the winders for Rolex.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why buy a cheap-o model anything tho? :/

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

The cheap winders will magnetize a watch over a long periods of time but that is probably 5-10 years ago. These days even the cheapest winders won't magnetize them but it still stands that you get what you pay for.

Anyways, not sure if anyone would miss it here but apparently the name Air King will now be gone, the reference # stays the same but it is just a 34mm Oyster Perpetual now and "Air King" won't appear on the dial anymore.

If they're looking to drop names (see what I did there?), then IMHO, Rolex should have started with the Yacht-Master.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the name Yacht-Master, I hate the "YACHT-MASTER II" emblazoned on the bezel but I have no qualms with the name.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

I like the name Yacht-Master, I hate the "YACHT-MASTER II" emblazoned on the bezel but I have no qualms with the name.

The bezel turns it up to 11, for sure.

jem7v

Reaction score
Yah displaying watches is really up to the individual but if you put it in a walk-n closet then you are pretty much just displaying it for yourself.

I'd love to have one of these but for $5k, I'll just buy another watch or two.

HRoi, this might be a more subtle alternative, same German brand for $400. Also has an additional 7-watch storage so it works as a a 13-watch case.

Quote:

jem7v

Reaction score
Actually what are some good brands that make high quality watch winders and watch boxes? I mean high quality leathers. I looked into getting one custom by goyard but for a 8 watch watch box they want 4k. So forget that. Does anyone know of any brands that makes high quality leather watch boxes or winders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads